SHAMING thread - the classes you haven't played and why

1. Chanter. Summons feel awful, sure they're strong but the implementation is just so bad. Their buffs are super strong but every time i see Chanter i want to puke because chanters just lack any theme and they're just standing there, singing. Like, can it get more boring?
  2. Priest. I can't shake the feeling that priests were rushed. You know like when you have week to do something and you do all the work on the last day's evening? Priests have no unique talents, many of their spells feel like low effort copy/paste from Druid or Wizard. Heck, Priest subclasses "steal" abilities from other classes instead having their own things. Spells unique to priests are either completely useless or extremely powerful as if there was no time for testing.
  3. Paladin. This dude has mostly pointless subclasses, he's locked to disposition system and... why did i pick pally? Oh right, free passive +17 to all defences and one full-attack ability. 

On the other side, these are the best:

1. Rogue feels amazing. There's huge variety of attacks, status effects, you can play Rogue as Melee,  Ranged, Tank and even as caster if you pick Assassin. Talking about subclasses, 2 of them are really good with third (trickster) lagging behind a bit. Rogue works very well as single-class as well as when multiclassed.
  2. Unlike other classes, almost all Monk's abilities and talents can be useful. Monk's subclasses are very distinct and pretty powerful. Theme is on-spot and Monk works very well in any class combination
Edited by Somnium_Meum
  • Like 1

I've played Rogue MC almost extensively in both games.

In PoE1 there were the clear bottom class. However in PoE2 I'd say not only are they powerful, they are fun.

I think Obs did a really good job with Fighters too, traditionally one of the most boring classes.

• Like 3

In PoE1 there were the clear bottom class. However in PoE2 I'd say not only are they powerful, they are fun.

I prefer them in Deadfire too. I bet many people will change their opinions about the classes they don't wanna play as they fix (or nerf!) the abilities. We still have a long way to go on balancing...

You should really try a Warlock. :)

Very interesting ideas for Warlocks and Priests. Thanks Boeroer. :thumbsup:

I intended to have a Viking custom party for Deadfire since before the game was released. Just pillage and attack everyone (not necessarily in the beginning).

Finding out about the Rathun only makes it even more interesting.

The party will include my Magranite Watcher and a fire warlock, definitely! :yes:

sign.jpg

For me PoE's druids puts me off the most. While they are good spellcasters, the shifting ability tied to the class does not jive with a lot of things for its shortlived duration and take up a good chunk of the druid's passive ability tree.

They dont have power gaming in mind with eveythhing they do. Druids may be the way they are for roleplaying reasons

-Druids : Never liked this type of archetype in fantasy. Nature spells and shifting are the least interesting & uncool stuff ever for me. Like, i still have a hard time understanding how people can be attracted by it.

-Monk : The druid of martial art classes for me. Lorewhise, a paladin is a cool knight in shiny armor who use divine spells, a well armed fighter is a master of the battlefield and a barbarian (my least fav of the 3 still) is the bruteforce of the cast. But monks, they're depicted with poor choice of weapons (or no weap at all), of protection (or no protection at all) and the game even add a component of self damaging the character.

Yeah, Monks & Druids are really 2 archetypes I can't stand. You can give me a thousand arguments to make me play them, i won't touch them. I don't even take them as companions too.

Also i haven't played :

-Priests : Not my type of class, better letting an NPC having it while i take care of the other jobs. Even tho i'd like to do something like a warrior priest of the warhammer universe, anyone tested a fighter/priest or a paladin/priest ?

Edited by Veolfen

Actually I find druids pretty great because they can fulfill four roles with only one class:

- debuffing/CC

- melee striker/ranged striker (Fury)

- nuker

- healer

Debuffing spells are good. They used to be better strikers in PoE, but still acceptable. As nukers they have those convenient spells that are powerful but foe-only - very convenient. As healers they are top notch.

Also Greater Maelstrom is very powerful. Pollen Patch as well. So two of the highest PL spells are great, which is more than I can say about other single classes. 

• Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Not during a whole playthrough, but partially. Also as Priest/Mage Slayer and Troubadour/Mage Slayer and even Wizard/Mage Slayer.

With his innate spell resistance, Xoti's Lantern (and high Religion), Spell Resistance and stuff (stacks multiplicatively though) you can become pretty impervious to magic attacks and at the same time can stop casters. That's the whole point.

If you don't use potions and scrolls in a party anyway (like me) it has not many drawbacks but locks down casters completely after a few hits. 

• Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Has anyone played the Mage Slayer? Just don't see a pt to it.

I tried some solo char with pure MS + variation. So i will speack from solo-prospective and not party-prospective.

You are basically a barbarian with no potions, no scrolls but some magic resistance and you can cause wizard to fail spells.

For these reasons is better to use 2 weapons ( apply the spell failure effect faster) and at least medium int.

As expected you can be quite strong vs casters ( wiz, priest, ciper, chanter, druid abilities count as "spell" afaik), but you are just the average guy vs bosses ( most of them have abilities that are NOT labeled as spell, even if they work like them: es ukaizo dragon can still use breath/ delayed fireball/ ecc nomally even with 4 active stacks on them).

So the main reason i expected to use them ( hinder bosses) doesn't work.

During the non boss fights you will still have a BIG problem: healing. No potions hurt a lot. As a pure barb you can count only on a timed robust inspiration that is simply not enough. If you multiclasd your own spells can be resisted by yourself. So i think is better to multiclass with a warrior ( unbending) or even better with a paladin ( better kind wifarer)

As a paladin multi you can get heal every time you FoD (~30-40hp if you dual wield), have lay of hands, regen aura and great armor, everything you need for your survival.

Actually I find druids pretty great because they can fulfill four roles with only one class:

- debuffing/CC

- melee striker/ranged striker (Fury)

- nuker

- healer

Debuffing spells are good. They used to be better strikers in PoE, but still acceptable. As nukers they have those convenient spells that are powerful but foe-only - very convenient. As healers they are top notch.

Also Greater Maelstrom is very powerful. Pollen Patch as well. So two of the highest PL spells are great, which is more than I can say about other single classes. 

Yeah, they are multitask mastes, but I find them so uncooool... :(