SHAMING thread - the classes you haven't played and why

One nice trick is to cast spells from stealth. Stealth gives you a 85% recovery bonus - which lets you cast two spells at the start of battle very quickly. Or even three if you use seal spells. So for example you can cast a Searing Seal (spell uses refreshes), then a Holy Storm from stealth, followed by Devotions. Storm's pulses will profit from the later ACC boost and enemies run into your seal and get blinded while getting hit by the storm. All that in short encounter time.

I know why I like my weakest class. ;)

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

One nice trick is to cast spells from stealth. Stealth gives you a 85% recovery bonus - which lets you cast two spells at the start of battle very quickly. Or even three if you use seal spells. So for example you can cast a Searing Seal (spell uses refreshes), then a Holy Storm from stealth, followed by Devotions. Storm's pulses will profit from the later ACC boost and enemies run into your seal and get blinded while getting hit by the storm. All that in short encounter time.

I know why I like my weakest class. ;)

Absolutely. I keep everyone but my beefiest frontliner in Stealth until the enemies get into a nice cluster. Priest of Rmyrgand spells are still challenging to land, though, since lowering Fortitude is mandatory and that takes some windup time.

Anything fighter or barbarian. Dumb brute force dudebros are boring, if I wanted nothing but swing a heavy object back and forth I'd get an axe and go lumberjackin'. Or a broom and clean my apartment. At least I'd get some tangible results from chores and routine that way.  :biggrin:

the classes you haven't played and why

In beta have played them all.

But after release, the only class I haven't tried yet is barbarian.

The reason being:

- Blood Thirst comes too late.

- Heart of Fury is available only to single class, and again only in late game.

So the question I ask myself is: do I take barb who can save me in the late game encounters like 5-10s of combat via killing stuff faster because of Blood Thirst; or do I take another dps character who is better during first 70% of the game, which is also currently the harder part.

• Like 2

The reason being:

So the question I ask myself is: do I take barb who can save me in the late game encounters like 5-10s of combat via killing stuff faster because of Blood Thirst; or do I take another dps character who is better during first 70% of the game, which is also currently the harder part.

Use Mullit-class unlocked mod on nexus

Im using that and deadly deadfire and the game is much better

• Like 1

The reason being:

Would you please post the links ?

I'm subscribed to the PoE2 beta branch on steam and I'm having a hard time finding an unlocker mod that actually works :(

You should really try a Warlock. :)

Warlock comes online on lvl 13 right, once he gets access to Citzal and can focus on phys dps?

And before that is played like jack of all trades offtank/offdps/off-cc?

P.S. Ehh, got the nostalgia again about WoW warlock playstyle (from the TBC times..)

It doesn't make Blood Thirst and Heart of Fury available earlier; plus by using such overhaul mods it will make harder for me to comment on the vanilla game experience.

But I will think about that :)

Edited by MaxQuest

Warlock comes online on lvl 13 right, once he gets access to Citzal and can focus on phys dps

I assume you meant "alive"?

The irony of confusing "alive" with "online" at this day and age certainly isn't lost on me.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The reason being:

Would you please post the links ?

I'm subscribed to the PoE2 beta branch on steam and I'm having a hard time finding an unlocker mod that actually works :(

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/43

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/175

Id think carefully about installind deadly deadfire to early unless you really no your stuff. About level 9 would be the best time to install it.

The boat battles especially will be extremely difficult if you install it at the start of the game (if you board)

Edited by Teclis23
  • Like 2

Warlock comes online on lvl 13 right, once he gets access to Citzal and can focus on phys dps?And before that is played like jack of all trades offtank/offdps/off-cc?P.S. Ehh, got the nostalgia again about WoW warlock playstyle (from the TBC times..) 

Use Mullit-class unlocked mod on nexus Im using that and deadly deadfire and the game is much better

It doesn't make Blood Thirst and Heart of Fury available earlier; plus by using such overhaul mods it will make harder for me to comment on the vanilla game experience.But I will think about that :)

Yeah you do get it much quicker

Check out the mod (there is two versions)

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/175

To be fair, any class is serviceable if played by an experienced POE gamer. The real issue, when we talk about avoiding classes, is that many classes:

1) Are overshadowed by more powerful classes. For example, a pure Druid is ok, but a single class Wiz does everything better (except healing, but who needs that if you are a god) and has more flexibility (due to broader spell selection and grimoires).

2) Lack interesting, CLASS DEFINING, skills past PL 7. Thank goodness I finally have access to my PL 9 fighter skills (/eyeroll). Even worse, a class defining skill (e.g. Sacred Immolation) is neutered or becomes a liability unless built around the weakness (which often entails items or multi class options). I don’t understand, there are spells that can erase a screen of enemies in one cast, but the devs are worried about a zero-range pulse AOE on a melee class?

3) Scolls that take away the wow factor of a class. I think part of my reason to hate on single class Druids is that anyone can cast Avenging Storm... wth? There are entire builds that exploit this scroll. Just to be clear, only a single class Druid gets Avenging Storm... AND... any and all classes through a scroll... sigh. Suggestion, make arcana have diminishing returns that slightly improves spell/scroll casting and cap scrolls to PL5 and under.

Edited by heldred
  • Like 3

Warlock comes online on lvl 13 right?, once he gets access to Citzal and can focus on phys dps

I assume you meant "alive"?

The irony of confusing "alive" with "online" at this day and age certainly isn't lost on me.

Nope)

"Come online" is a widespread phrase/idiom from Action RTS games that have leveling system (e.g. Dota).

"Come online early" - means that a character doesn't need a lot of items or levels, in order to have high impact, and that he starts contributing to his team much earlier.

"Come online late" - means that character needs a specific level, late-game ability or item, in order to become super-effective/impactful. But before that moment his contribution is mediocre.

Barbarian - I hate people with anger control problems.

Chanter - bards are fine, but don't like summons.

Hey! Same here)

Although I worked around that.

Barb - doesn't have to be my main. And when I use a hireling, can always pretend he's a phlegmatic who 'explodes' only during combat.

Chanter - can work fine even without summons. E.g. do use a skald/wayfarer, and like him.

• Like 2

Warlock comes online on lvl 13 right, once he gets access to Citzal and can focus on phys dps?

And before that is played like jack of all trades offtank/offdps/off-cc?

Erm not really. Frenzy + Bloodlust makes you cast much faster, the +5 MIG helps and especially Lion's Sprint (ok that comes rather late) helps to land critical spells (like landing Combusting Wounds on a boss or so). Spirit Frenzy's staggering works with spells. Berserker's Tenacious, too.

I don't even bother with weapon attacks or weapon abilites. :)

Lvl 19 is the peak with Blood Thirst of course, but it works well right from lvl 1.

• Like 3

Stats as usual for casting: high MIG, PER and DEX.

If you want to use Alacrity that's also fine, but Frenzy lets you use more Fireballs and/or Bounding Missiles. Fireballs are pretty good at high levels with lots of PL bonuses (from Magran's Favor and Sun & Moon: +4 PL).

I also use a large shield in the second weapon slot (and weapon and shield style) so that I can stand in my own Wall of Flame without harm (until I get Rekvu's Scorched Cloak). Wall of Flame + Combusting Wounds is crazy good but takes long time to cast - that's why Frenzy + Bloodlust is nice for example (and Fast Casting as passive later on).

I even use this guy naked at higher levels. No good for tanking but can hold his own well enough with the usual defense buffs from wizard and Savage Defiance. For boss fights I use Casita Samelia's Legacy (I maxed Intimidate anyway).

I'm sure there are more powerful combos with wizard - but it is fun and finally you can achieve cast times that don't make you yawn. :)

• Like 2

Warlock's good fun all around and offers some nice flexibility with grimoires: you can stack Wizard buffs with martial mastery and focus on Barbarian passives, use a damage-oriented tome like Nina's, or something in between. Berserker couples well with Wizard since Infuse with Vital Essence negates Frenzy's Confusion effect and most of your best buffs will be acquired fairly early in comparison to other combinations (Berserker Frenzy is a crazy good starter ability).

Every time I take a break from Warlock, Boeroer pulls me back in.

Edited by Ophiuchus
  • Like 2