SHAMING thread - the classes you haven't played and why

As a preamble, please, let's stick to the topic at hand and not derail this into a balance / buff / nerf thread.

There are other, much more appropriate threads just for that.

Thank you for your consideration and keeping the thread on its rails.

I'll start bros :)

So far, and with the understanding that I only have 180 hours on record, the classes I have not played and why :

- barbarian : duh, IDK, I'm just not a huge fan... I think I might give it a try though, possibly with a Rogue, Monk or Cipher multi

- ranger : looks boring as f... as hell, just auto-attack and stand there stupidly

- fighter : I thoroughly enjoyed my fighter in Dragon Age Origins, in very large part due to the sword and shield style offering such aggressive options as shield bash / shield slam , at last I had a fighter who didn't just stand there stupidly taking hits !  Sadly, that's all he does here in POE2, he stands there stupidly taking hits because he's my main tank...

- priest, druid, wizard : I find myself having a very hard time playing classes with a very limited amount of spellcasts per encounter, when I can get a cipher instead and spam 24/7 !

Your turn guys, what are you guilty of not playing, and why ? :)

• Like 1

Rogue, for I can’t get past the mental image of a squishy class. I also don’t like to have to micromanage that much to get high spike damage (I prefer to stack buffs for sustained DPS.)

Chanter, because it doesn’t have many combat-focused passives which are what I like. Sure, chants are powerful but also... boring, for me. Or at least very far from my play style.

Ranger because boring and I’m not big on specialized ranged characters.

Paladin, because I don’t know. It just doesn’t click for me but I don’t know the reason. Likewise Ciphers, though I toyed with them a little (but so have I with Paladins.)

Edited by AndreaColombo

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Monks. I just can't appreciate the idea of strength through suffering, of wounds as advantages. Zahua is blind on one eye.

• Like 6

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I don't really get Monks and Barbarians in the POE interpretation. Having a frontliner you expect to get hurt is just bad thematically, 
And I've never liked the demands of building barbs around carnage rather than frenzy. 

I've been lukewarm on rogues and ciphers, but enough time with Ydwin made me really appreciate those classes' synergy. 

Magran's fire casts light in Dark Places...

I'm still on my first pt, but these are my  least favorite classes:

- Fighter: I usually prefer casters, but even when I play as a melee character I prefer to have some special abilities that look... well, special. So I don't feel like playing with the sword and shield guy (or whatever weapons they have)

- Monk: doesn't look like what I expect from a fantasy setting. I'm definitely happy they are in the game, but it is the class with the smallest appeal for me

- Ranger: I don't really like the abilities they have, even though animal companions are cool. I could use them when multiclassing, but I'll probably end up with other options

Considering PoE1 too and not counting companions, the only classes I've never played are fighter and monk. I did have a ranger in PoE1 but only because I found a very nice portrait including a bear and I really liked the Stormcaller build.

Edit: I also never played as a barbarian, but I like the class. Maneha was one of my favorite companions.

Edited by InsaneCommander
  • Like 1

sign.jpg

I have tried them all but specifically the ranger I can't bring myself to play anymore... made it about two to three hours in before losing all interest.  They already lack abilities in general and then the ones they have are just uninteresting.  Binding roots being AOE now at least adds something but even subclasses are meh as it gets and the difference is simply not drastic enough subclass to subclass.

I've never liked Ciphers.  I've always found Psionicists to be an incongruous fit in D&D-type settings (one that, in my experience, always attracted the wrong type of players), the degree to which they seemed to be the developers' favorites in Pillars 1 bugged me, and the charm-spam that they tend towards feels cheap and un-fun. 

I've played for a while with Witch Serafen, but end up forgetting to do the spellcasting most of the time. 

Played everything multi, but single... lots of passes.

Classes I will never play single class until redesigned...

Fighter... nothing to look forward to late level that compares to other powerful classes. No special skills or style... it’s like dev team equates fighters to boring skills. The class is competent, but overshadowed by multi and single classes.

Rogue... solo this class offers nothing for me, but one of my favorite multi options. It is probably because you don’t need to pick manybskills past PL 3.

Druid... it just lacks the spell casting punch of a solo Wiz or Fire Priest. As for beast mode, it is way more fun and powerful to multi.

Paladin... why would you want to play as a single class when everything you need is PL 7 and under. If dev team wanted to see more solo paladins, just make PL 9 version of SI actually do zero self-damage and better Pen.

Barbarian... I’ve tried, really tried since I love melee, but for some reason the um, the Ranger does it better (AOE) damage for me. Weird... also, squishy, and the whole blind your health seems clunky and unnecessary for the benefit. Seems like Monk has better buffs with NO penalties.

Yes, this list makes me realize I really play single class Wiz, Priest, Cipher, Chanter... hmmm, all casters. Except for Druids that are just not as good.

Not so much a fan of Druid, shapeshifting can be more fun by letting us to turning into not only a Lightning Blight, but other elemental Blight, and grant PL based on the elements we shift into. Like u can get +Fire PL if shift into Fire Blight, +Water PL if into Water Blight and etc.

Druid shall also be able to buff themselves as they are draining power from nature, thus shall be able to cast like Earth Skin(maybe like Iron Skin from wizard), and Earth Power(grant Might Inspiration).

• Like 3

1.Priests

Very underwhelming spells. By far the weakest caster in the game. Massive long cast times for spells that dont last long at all. For example circle of protection lasts 10 secs and takes 7 seconds to cast. Alot of there heals are applied slowly over time which is not that useful becasue when  one of your party members are getting focus fired they need alot of healing straight away, healing them slowly over time is no good to you at all. You feel more limited with priests having only 2 spell casts per level then any other class becasue none of there spells before level 7 really do much at all

They are the weakest class in the game at the moment and are in urgent need of a buff

Edited by Teclis23
  • Like 1

1.Priests

Very underwhelming spells. By far the weakest caster in the game. Massive long cast times for spells that dont last long at all. For example circle of protection lasts 10 secs and takes 7 seconds to cast. Alot of there heals are applied slowly over time which is not that useful becasue when  one of your party members are getting focus fired they need alot of healing straight away, healing them slowly over time is no good to you at all. You feel more limited with priests having only 2 spell casts per level then any other class becasue none of there spells before level 7 really do much at all

They are the weakest class in the game at the moment and are in urgent need of a buff

When the enemy concentrates fire on a party member, I always have to drink a potion or use second wind besides casting a priest healing spell.

They should revise priest healing spells, the casting times and allow an extra spell for level.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

1.Priests

When the enemy concentrates fire on a party member, I always have to drink a potion or use second wind besides casting a priest healing spell.

They should revise priest healing spells, the casting times and allow an extra spell for level.

Yeah we all no that but Obsidian dont 

Yeah we all no that but Obsidian dont

Who knows, maybe it's in their nerf list. :p

Anyway, Druids should have an extra spell too. I wouldn't mind if it was not a free choice, but something of their subclass. Wizards get two spells from the grimoire...

But I still want to play as Druids because I like the class. And Priests offer a lot of rp.

• Like 2

sign.jpg

Your actually far more better off without a priest in your party. All that time that priests spend casting there shi$$y spells could be spent doing DPS, crowd control or tanking with other classes. Offense is your defense. You kill your enemy quicker then they can kill you.

The opportunity cost of having a priest is not worth it

My experience is completely different. Doing a playthrough with a priest (doesn't need to be single class) followed by one without a priest will show you what you lack. Also priest subclasses are pretty distinct. The most fun with a character I have atm is an Assassin/Priest of Skaen because he can turn invisible 6 times per encounter AND cast support and nuking spells.

And then there is the Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time thing which immediately puts priest into the top ranks. I mean besides buffing the whole party with +15 accuracy which makes an immense difference.

Also the single class druid is very nice because very versatile. Great(!) Healing, CC, buffs (PL 3 source of AoE Robust!), nukes - he has it all without the need for a multiclass. Playing a Nature Godlike Animist with the Spine of Thicket Green (it can't get more druidy), Stone of Power and Prestige. His plant and beast offensive spells (Wicked Briars, Insect Swarm, Plague of Insects, Venombloom) and his plant based healings are so powerful (Garden of Life). And then there's Pollen Patch which gets +6 PL from the staff alone...

The good thing compared to Wizards is also that most of his DoT spells are foe only and usually come with an affliction. So you do CC/lower defenses and deal damage with one cast. And Plague of Insects' AoE is so huge...  I don't even bother with Spiritshifting.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

And then there is the Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time thing which immediately puts priest into the top ranks.

If we're ranking them by boredom factor :p

j/k Priests are generally good IMO, although some of the casting times could use being snappier. I never pick Boring Death's Door, but ofc other players' mileage may vary.

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Yeah - Druids and Priests would want to get some love in terms of spell choice (looking a grimoires) and spell uses (looking at Vaporous Wizardry).

But instead of the planned speciel trinkets for every class we get universal trinkets that give us a 1/rest ability. Argh...

Whatever - I played every class so far (not from start to end with every single class obviously, but I like to switch party members a lot during playthroughs) and I don't think there is any that is particularly bad. But you have to find out its strenghts and weaknesses. I personally never liked rangers, fighters and rogues too much in general - but there are certain builds with those classes that are very fun. Even my single class Black Jacket was great (debuffing all defenses like crazy with 4 weapons sets of Morning Star/Club/Flail/Pike). 

And then there is the Barring Death's Door + Salvation of Time thing which immediately puts priest into the top ranks.

If we're ranking them by boredom factor :p

j/k Priests are generally good IMO, although some of the casting times could use being snappier. I never pick Boring Death's Door, but ofc other players' mileage may vary.

Well... Teclis23 obviously ranks them by usefulness. Else I can't explain statements like

Very underwhelming spells...

By far the weakest caster in the game...

They are the weakest class in the game at the moment...

...are in urgent need of a buff.

...weakest class...

...far more better off without...

...shi$$y spells...

...weakest class...

But since its the Lord of Auxesis speaking we should maybe take this with a grain of salt... paired with a "Touch of Reason". That would be a nice new priest spell by the way. ;)

Edited by Boeroer

I know, I was just being a smartass ;)

• Like 1

I never leave town without a good single class Priest for mainstays like Suppress Affliction, Dire Blessing, Champion's Boon, Triumph of the Crusaders, Salvation of Time, Rmyrgand's Symbol, etc. Out of the subclasses, I've never used Wael, Skaen or Eothas (without mods). I want to like Priest of Rmyrgand but the vs Fortitude spells are hard to land in PoTD and take forever and a day to cast and recover.