The uselessness of AI in ship to ship gun battles.

The Ai is retarded. 

Consistently I've been using the starting Sloop plus the two Hog Noses to beat every ship encounter with cannons. All it takes is two 4-star cannoneers. The AI is constantly rotating their ships, wasting turns, stopping to take aim and just not shooting. On top of that, when they get something like a crew overboard or any other status effect they completely abandon everything else and stop to recuperate, which makes them a sitting duck. In fact, the most difficult sea encounter is Diccila in solo, because she is fast, she has a ship that can evade your cannon balls, she moves mostly towards you and she is trying to board you more often than anyone else. 

Now... it's all nice and good that we can get free loot and a few bounties done, but I'm actually wondering what are people's thoughts on that. Personally, for me it's all menial work I have to do in order to get to the meat of the game. Not having to spend a single gold piece on anything else than crew salaries, not even food or water, is super helpful, but it also trivializes a part of the game that I feel can be more interesting. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Usually I only see the AI behave like that when I hit their sails or cause an effect like flooding or burning. But yesterday they decided to keep moving forward (parallel to my ship) apparently for no reason, so there is definitely something wrong there. They are reworking the ship battle system, so let's hope it gets satisfactory for as many people as possible.

I really like this aspect of the game and I don't mind expending my money to maintain a bigger ship and crew. My next character will be benevolent and I'll do anything I can to have a mutiny. I'll pretend they are doing it because they want to attack and pillage innocent ships. ;) I'll gladly pay for an entire new crew later, buy other ships, etc, if it means enjoying everything this part of the game has to offer.

Well, at least if I can make money faster on my next game, because in my current pt I only started swimming in money when I was about level 19. I still had many things to do, but by then I had already beaten most ships in the map. The only exceptions were one last merchant that I left just in case I wanted something they had and the high level ships, that I included in the game with a mod. So there wasn't much point in acquiring other ships.

PS: I dislike the use of "AI" when we actually haven't reached that level yet. We are still in the "Artificial Stupidity" stage. :p And I don't mean that as an offense to anyone. We simply can't do better now as a civilization.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

PS: I dislike the use of "AI" when we actually haven't reached that level yet. We are still in the "Artificial Stupidity" stage. :p And I don't mean that as an offense to anyone. We simply can't do better now as a civilization.

Oh yeah, I dig what you say totally.

SyptWih.png

This happens all the time. 

Now, on the other hand, if sea battles become too hard we will be disincentivized to go out and hunt ships at all. 

• Like 1

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Eh ... I view it the same way as "IQ".

A high IQ just means they have the possibility to be highly intelligent, not that they are.  And it doesn't address "common sense" or "wisdom".  LOL

As to the ship battles, it seems to me that they were better before this last patch?

I think they DO need a couple fixes:

1 - When the sails are at 0 health, the ship should be "dead in the water" - not able to even turn.

2 - You should not be able to see "below decks" crew information.  Unless the crew is above deck, you wouldn't be able to see how many there are or their injuries/recovery time.

(once the cannons fire on you, you know what they have - but not how many are manned, or how much ammunition they have)

3 - You also shouldn't know the experience of the other crew.

4 - Ship capture.  If you have enough extra crew (minimum for both ships), you can split your crew and take the ship to port to sell.

Edited by Walter.Richards
  • Like 3

The Ai is retarded. 

Consistently I've been using the starting Sloop plus the two Hog Noses to beat every ship encounter with cannons. All it takes is two 4-star cannoneers. The AI is constantly rotating their ships, wasting turns, stopping to take aim and just not shooting. On top of that, when they get something like a crew overboard or any other status effect they completely abandon everything else and stop to recuperate, which makes them a sitting duck. In fact, the most difficult sea encounter is Diccila in solo, because she is fast, she has a ship that can evade your cannon balls, she moves mostly towards you and she is trying to board you more often than anyone else. 

Now... it's all nice and good that we can get free loot and a few bounties done, but I'm actually wondering what are people's thoughts on that. Personally, for me it's all menial work I have to do in order to get to the meat of the game. Not having to spend a single gold piece on anything else than crew salaries, not even food or water, is super helpful, but it also trivializes a part of the game that I feel can be more interesting. 

While we're on the topic of ship combat, I have a question...

Am I the only one that just rushes to their ship to be in boarding range, not losing a single second to try and shoot at them or anything ?

I think they DO need a couple fixes:

1 - When the sails are at 0 health, the ship should be "dead in the water" - not able to even turn.

2 - You should not be able to see "below decks" crew information.  Unless the crew is above deck, you wouldn't be able to see how many there are or their injuries/recovery time.

(once the cannons fire on you, you know what they have - but not how many are manned, or how much ammunition they have)

3 - You also shouldn't know the experience of the other crew.

4 - Ship capture.  If you have extra crew, you can split your crew and take the ship to port to sell.

Good ideas. If they lose their sails they shouldn't be able to reach you.

While we're on the topic of ship combat, I have a question...

Am I the only one that just rushes to their ship to be in boarding range, not losing a single second to try and shoot at them or anything ?

I really enjoy ship combat. But I just end up boarding before they sink, so that I get more spoils.

sign.jpg