I want to try to make a mod myself - What should I do?

Hey guys!

So, I want to try to make a mod that I've been poking around about on the forums by myself, rather than bother other people about it. I have a rough idea of what I need to do, but less of an idea of how to do it and how to get the information I need. So, I have a few questions. 

1. Should I wait until 3.0 drops to start this? I'm not sure if the rule is "Every patch breaks old mods" or "Only patches that affect your specific mod's changes break old mods." I figure it's best to err on the side of caution. 

What I want to do specifically is create a loot entry for Marihi's Metalworks that checks the "Kill Harmke" conditional in an exported PoE1 save to spawn a separate version of the Devil of Caroc Breastplate for those who want a happy ending for her, like me. People have said that I need to... 

2. Find the specific variable that corresponds to killing or sparing Harmke. I'm not sure what this one is. 

3. Create an entry in the loot list for Marihi's Metalworks that checks for that variable (Though I'd want to make sure it spawns in the same chest, so not sure how to do that), OR change the existing entry to check for the opposite variable. 

4. Change the flavor text of the item itself to match the new information. 

OR, I could just keep everything else the same and just change the flavor text, since the particulars of the event aren't referenced in any significant way. That would probably be considerably easier, though it's essentially rewriting her ending from the first game.

So... could someone talk me through how best to find the particular variable and what exactly I need to change/how I need to set up the code in the mod folder? Ultimately, just changing the flavor text and leaving everything else the same would be the easiest thing to do. 

I don't think 3.0 will break anything so definitely get started on it now.

To find the variable that corresponds to killing Harmke, just look in the items.gamedatabundle for "carocbreastplate". That should take you to the script for adding the breastplate to the lootlist. You'll see the variable is called devil_quest_stage. The tricky part is the number- "2" means she spared Harmke, but I don't know what number would mean she killed him. Maybe 3, maybe 1, you may have to experiment a bit.

Copy "store_05_AD_marihi_carocbreastplate" into your mod file, give it a new UUID (check out peardox's pinned "first mod" thread for any help you need getting started) and first try playing around with the values on the script- try changing that 2 to a 1 or 3, then load up a save where the Devil killed Harmke and see if the breastplate appears. If it does then you're ready for the next step:

Copy the DoC breastplate item into your mod folder, give it a new UUID, and put that UUID where the current DoC breastplate UUID is in the lootlist script. That way you have a new item which is identical to the DoC breastplate, and the script will add your item instead of the main game one. Then just write a new description in your mod's items.stringtable, give it a number, and replace the number 4376 in the breastplate's descriptiontext with the number of your description

I don't think 3.0 will break anything so definitely get started on it now.

To find the variable that corresponds to killing Harmke, just look in the items.gamedatabundle for "carocbreastplate". That should take you to the script for adding the breastplate to the lootlist. You'll see the variable is called devil_quest_stage. The tricky part is the number- "2" means she spared Harmke, but I don't know what number would mean she killed him. Maybe 3, maybe 1, you may have to experiment a bit.

Copy "store_05_AD_marihi_carocbreastplate" into your mod file, give it a new UUID (check out peardox's pinned "first mod" thread for any help you need getting started) and first try playing around with the values on the script- try changing that 2 to a 1 or 3, then load up a save where the Devil killed Harmke and see if the breastplate appears. If it does then you're ready for the next step:

Copy the DoC breastplate item into your mod folder, give it a new UUID, and put that UUID where the current DoC breastplate UUID is in the lootlist script. That way you have a new item which is identical to the DoC breastplate, and the script will add your item instead of the main game one. Then just write a new description in your mod's items.stringtable, give it a number, and replace the number 4376 in the breastplate's descriptiontext with the number of your description

Thanks! This doesn't seem... all that bad, really. I'll start working on it after work today.