[Mod] The Class Project

In lieu of starting a new thread, I'm resurrecting this one.

This thread will function as both of linkable repository of more specific information and a place to discuss possible large (and small) changes. For details regarding what changes this mod implements, visit the mod pages on Nexus or Steam. This edited post, in particular, will be my general rambles about design goals and approach.

As the mod descriptions say: The goal of this Project is to provide more character options, ability choices, and meaningful depth during character creation and progression.

There's really two halves to this mod: new subclasses and new abilities. New subclasses are fun and rather easy to mod; it's just a matter of brainstorming interesting ideas. New abilities, however, are a little more difficult and time consuming.

WIP

Edited by Armakoir
  • Like 3

Hi,

The problem I see with the backgrounds and the talents is that the choice to pick the background is after the choice of the class.
Because of this, the preview you get when you create the character is "incomplete" and the player that wants to plan the build cannot access to all the possibilities can have.
The issue becomes bigger when each race cannot have access to all the backgrounds, that means that I don't know if I can play with my Aumaua Two Handed because the backgrounds for this race cannot have access to it, or maybe, I'm wrong and can have access to that background but I cannot know at the stage of the race and class selection.

In general the specialization concept is good while your character is progressing through an adventure, if it's put at the character creation can be seen as a limitation.

CzSyX91.jpg

Hi,

The problem I see with the backgrounds and the talents is that the choice to pick the background is after the choice of the class.

Because of this, the preview you get when you create the character is "incomplete" and the player that wants to plan the build cannot access to all the possibilities can have.

The issue becomes bigger when each race cannot have access to all the backgrounds, that means that I don't know if I can play with my Aumaua Two Handed because the backgrounds for this race cannot have access to it, or maybe, I'm wrong and can have access to that background but I cannot know at the stage of the race and class selection.

In general the specialization concept is good while your character is progressing through an adventure, if it's put at the character creation can be seen as a limitation.

This setup is not ideal, I agree.

The biggest issues I'm having with reorganizing passives is informing the player via the UI and within the UI. This is actually the third approach that I've tried.

I think the solution is ultimately multilayered and multidirectional unlocking of passives mixed with some kind of notification before class selection. Right now, for example, the only source for Two Handed Style is Backgrounds but it can be developed to be unlocked via additional means.

I also think Backgrounds can be expanded and tweaked so that (if a mod like Backgrounds Unlocked is not used) all the generic passives are covered by the limited backgrounds per race.

Regarding passives. At present I've expanded the number of "generic" passives from ~53 to ~80. In particular, I've doubled the number of straight defense bonuses and split the weapon related passives into three each.

I'm also in the process of incorporating hidden and new backgrounds into the cultures list. The UI only allows 17 backgrounds, so that'll be the number available for each Culture. Here's a current chart of which passives are associated with which background.

I'm planning to add (hopefully unique) passives to each of the cultures. Also, the wizard and priest do not really have (interesting) class specific passives, so I might try to create some (though they might not make it into an initial release).

I did a sneak preview on your mod-in-progress @Armakoir and so far it looks very promising!

I not only like the new subclasses (more choices!) but also the added spells and abilities. Will have to take a closer look at them in the next days (week).

I am not a big fan of the passive talents tree so that any class has access to resistances and the elemental stuff.

But if we take this as a basis to include more unique class talents later on i think this is absolutely okay!

I am sure that you are aware of the missing strings (lots of them!). But thats minor stuff. Too bad i cannot test the new abilities in practice at the moment. Later!

To make things short: Keep up your inspiring work! Lets hope more will particpate - and test - this one! :yes:

I have released this mod onto Steam and will be releasing it onto Nexus this weekend.

I was able to (somewhat) get around the creation order of characters and the problem with not seeing some passive abilities during class selection by creating a "passives cyclopedia" at the very beginning. Hopefully this will provide enough information to the player to made informed decisions.

Passives are still a work in progress, but I'm liking how it's coming together. I think there just needs to be MORE passives :)

• 3 months later...

@Armakoir: Do you know whats the reason why in turn-based-mode many abilitiy descriptions are completly wrong and "shaken" is everywhere?

Got the same problem with the Shifter Mod - any easy way to fix this? :blink:

I have the same, but I haven't figured it out yet.

• 2 weeks later...