Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Why is it still not possible to turn off the narrator?

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

I think the point about Obsidian's use of language is quite interesting. I consider myself pretty fluent in english but PoE1 was the first game in a while when I had to play with a Dictionary at hand. There were quite a few discriptive words, which meaning I could only guess. Much less so Deadfire. Well, except Serafen. I had to read some of his lines couple times on me first playthrough.

Something I noticed about Bioware games is that they stick to a very basic language. I wonder if it's a concious policy and if it something done with non-english native speakers playing games in english in mind.

That's a good question, and I suppose our only answer at the moment is that we don't know.

I appreciate the ambition shown at the level of language in PoE and Deadfire, and for the most part, Obsidian pulls it off very well. (In the English original, that is; the translations into other languages appear terrible, although I cannot comment on all of them.)

I suppose one could say that PoE and Deadfire attempt to raise CRPG language from the level of pulp to decent literary quality, which in itself is something worth applauding. What's even better, they succeed. Some of the coinages in PoE (duc, gul, fampyr) don't really work, in my opinion, because they are so close to the original that they simply appear forced. But that's a minor problem.

Edited by xzar_monty, 09 February 2019 - 04:32 AM.

Cartoons Plural

Cartoons Plural

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts
anyone who feels entitled to this option needs to stop playing the game and go outside for a few years

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1369 posts
  • Steam:DragonSoundxSG

anyone who feels entitled to this option needs to stop playing the game and go outside for a few years

That's a long time to stay outside.
  • thelee likes this

protopersona

protopersona

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 212 posts

My you're rather hostile. I don't see how asking for this is entitlement. I personally don't care about the narration, but I'm not bothered if people want the option to turn it off. I'm not even sure why you care about it strongly enough to call people out like that.

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

He has called people out for not having an avatar. So there you go.

Again, I agree, this is not about entitlement, I haven't seen any sense of entitlement here. There's talk about having an option.

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Well...

"Why is it still not possible?"

comes with some entitlement vibes I'd say. :)

Edited by Boeroer, 12 February 2019 - 04:50 AM.

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

I stand corrected there -- you are right. I hadn't looked at the title in ages, only the discussion (which is mostly ok).

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1369 posts

Well...

"Why is it still no possible?"

comes with some entitlement vibes I'd say. :)

We're gamers Boeroer, each of us is a special snowflake :)

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14436 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I stand corrected there -- you are right. I hadn't looked at the title in ages, only the discussion (which is mostly ok).

I agree.

We're gamers Boeroer, each of us is a special snowflake :)

I don't doubt that... ;)

merkmerk73

merkmerk73

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 61 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

I was ambivalent about her over the original guy until He Waits In Fire and then I was sold that she was amazing

• Boeroer likes this

asnjas

asnjas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts
Everything doesnt needs to be an option now.

Mona lisa doesnt need a blonde redhead brunette option to fit taste. The author designed her hair like that because of the artists vision in making something great and high quality. Why cant games be the same. People can hate eders voice too and imo just hate it then. It fits his style and country folk background. Just let the creators make something they think is great amd fits together.

protopersona

protopersona

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 212 posts

Mona lisa doesnt need a blonde redhead brunette option to fit taste. The author designed her hair like that because of the artists vision in making something great and high quality. Why cant games be the same. People can hate eders voice too and imo just hate it then. It fits his style and country folk background. Just let the creators make something they think is great amd fits together.

This isn't like choosing Mona Lisa's hair color. It's like choosing what frame to put the Mona Lisa in. The narrator is not pivotal to the experience of this game, and removing them wouldn't change any part of the story that matters.

asnjas

asnjas

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 128 posts

This isn't like choosing Mona Lisa's hair color. It's like choosing what frame to put the Mona Lisa in. The narrator is not pivotal to the experience of this game, and removing them wouldn't change any part of the story that matters.
Thought goes into it. Its the difference between a serious, low voice reading a scary story and a clown like high pitch happy voice reading the same story. I highly doubt she was picked out of a hat.

Plus i doubt mona lisa is displayed in a frame decorated with glitter, ribbons and macaroni chains. Even the frame matters dude. I also doubt theyd remove the frame cause it aint pivotal.

Edited by asnjas, 14 February 2019 - 07:09 AM.

xzar_monty

xzar_monty

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 546 posts

The Mona Lisa analogy is incredibly forced, starting from the small fact that it's a commissioned artwork (i.e. the commissioner made specifications) where outsider feedback is not relevant whereas Deadfire is a game people actually buy to play at home and where customer feedback is specifically valued.

Edited by xzar_monty, 14 February 2019 - 07:19 AM.

• protopersona likes this

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1369 posts
Mona Lisa is a classic work of art that can't be just changed or updated.

Deadfire is a video game that can be updated iterively. There is no comparison.

napsstern

napsstern

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
This is not about what kind of frame is better. It's about whether a frame is necessary at all.

Voiced narration is not a must in video games. If you enjoy it that's a good thing, but nothing wrong if people want to read the text at their own paces.

For me it feels like I'm watching a film where a bunch of people talk and a voice constantly chimes in with sentences like "Tom says", "Mary replied angrily". I can see it for myself man.

protopersona

protopersona

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 212 posts

This is not about what kind of frame is better. It's about whether a frame is necessary at all.

Voiced narration is not a must in video games. If you enjoy it that's a good thing, but nothing wrong if people want to read the text at their own paces.

For me it feels like I'm watching a film where a bunch of people talk and a voice constantly chimes in with sentences like "Tom says", "Mary replied angrily". I can see it for myself man.

More importantly, "Mary replied angrily" shouldn't even be part of the written dialog in the first place, it should come across in the voice actor's performance. The game narrates far more than it needs to. Even with a modest budget that kind of detail is unnecessary and could have been cut completely.

Cartoons Plural

Cartoons Plural

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 80 posts

i just can't believe you'd spend any part of your life arguing about this, expecting it, demanding it

narration is bad ok we get it man big deal, move on, play another game do something else. you seem like you're logging 100s of hours in something you grudgingly tolerate and thats no way to live

the thing is with this game is that its not first person and its not animated so you actually do have to describe how characters react sometimes, there's really no way around that, maybe you should go write a story mod for an infinity-like instead of being mad online so you can find out for yourself :) i personally would like east and west come together and have big portraits that change expression if necessary above the dialog box but thats not implemented in deadfire

yes she's like a breathless geek gf, like a dorky, barely contained excited dm and you don't like it at all, i don't either. i like ydwin who is the same actress so its just an aesthetic choice we don't like man its gonna happen to you sometimes try to appreciate it for what it is i guarantee you'll have a better time

That's a long time to stay outside.

drastic cases take drastic measures

Edited by Cartoons Plural, Yesterday, 04:22 PM.

Verde

Verde

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1369 posts
They are right tho. It's weird when they narrate what a char is doing...when the char is standing right in front of us, not doing it lol.

Obs has shown great writing talent in places like the DLCs, but so much of vanilla is the rookie mistake of telling not showing. It's too much "this is how things are!" instead of showing the player how they are and letting the player come to their own conclusions.

Edited by Verde, Yesterday, 06:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users