Why is it still not possible to turn off the narrator?

Because they only found 99% of the voice files. So you still have 1% of the narrator. Literally unplayable.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I can’t tell whether you’re unfamiliar with the “literally unplayable” meme or if you have nothing but felt like posting anyway.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I hear "literally" so much from young professional women that it's become a knee jerk reaction to point it out.

I'm sure it's only women who use that word in the wrong way. Because we all know that only men are the masters of linguistics, right. I'm still in shock that women now have voting rights when they still can't speak properly, jeez... What's next? Employment laws for child labor? Pfff!

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 7

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

I hear "literally" so much from young professional women that it's become a knee jerk reaction to point it out.

I'm sure it's only women who use that word in the wrong way. Because we all know that only men are the masters of linguistics, right. I'm still in shock that women now have voting rights when they still can't speak properly, jeez... What's next? Employment laws for child labor? Pfff!

He didn't say it was only women that use the word in the wrong way

I can't change my experiences Boeroer!

And honestly, who uses that term in the right way?!

Edited by Verde

Anyone who uses the word literally.

• Like 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Literally, anyone who uses the word literally.

FTFY
  • Like 3

I think I would mind the narrator less if the text box wasn't at the bottom of the screen. It's like watching something in English with the English subtitles on. It distracts me from the main screen, and I have a habit of reading ahead instead of listening to the performance

Maybe if there was a way for the text box to only pop up when there's a choice to be made?

Edited by protopersona

"As the murderhobo mantra goes: 'If you can't kill it, steal it.'" - Prince of Lies

I'm not sure this is such an easy thing to fix as the OP suggests. Considering a number of scenes involving the narrator include scenes with the gods and other voice actors and I'm not sure those are always separate sound files. So yeah, I don't think this is a request that should occupy Obsidian's time because it wouldn't be a such a simple fix nor is it something that's a popular request. Nor is it even something ruining the game of folks who want to see it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure this is such an easy thing to fix as the OP suggests. Considering a number of scenes involving the narrator include scenes with the gods and other voice actors and I'm not sure those are always separate sound files. So yeah, I don't think this is a request that should occupy Obsidian's time because it wouldn't be a such a simple fix nor is it something that's a popular request. Nor is it even something ruining the game of folks who want to see it.

You haven't read my post properly:

1) I never said it was ruining my game.  I simply don't like the narration and would like the option of turning it off.

2) I never said it was an easy thing to fix, I actually ASKED IF IT WAS EASY OR NOT.  Here's a reminder of what I wrote:

I'm just wondering why?  Is it too difficult to code this in as an option?  Are the devs unwilling to give us this option?

A response would be nice.

You don't know how easy or hard it is to do.  The devs do.  That's why I would like a response from them.

Edited by Yosharian
  • Like 1

You don't know how easy or hard it is to do.  The devs do.  That's why I would like a response from them.

I was actually going to post some sort of grumpy reply like:

Yeah, the narrator is a speaker like any other character, the game would need to run a test against every line of dialogue to... blah... blah...

and then I poked around the binary a bit.   The game already does specifically test and handle narration differently.  It really is just a single if/then and fancy button away from redirecting (almost) all calls for narration off to a null.

The caveat is that there are still something like 100-200 pieces of dialogue which include narration, but are owned by a different speaker.  Any time you come across something like:

[sNARKY GOD]: "FI FI FO FUM, I SMELL A WATCHER... AND... VATNIR?  SERIOUSLY.  TAKE A BATH, DUDE."

You swear his lips remained motionless, but the weight of the reverberating sarcasm brings you to your knees.

that is all a single piece of text and single audio file owned by [GOD].  Splitting it apart would mean inserting a new dialogue node for just the narration and cutting the audio into two pieces.  There's no easy coding fix to address those instances, and would require a moderate level of rework.

But as I mentioned before, there is a relatively quick thing you can try.  Just dig through your install to find:

StreamingAssets/Audio/[platform]/Voices/English\(US\)/narrator

Renaming/deleting that single directory will cut out any audio where only the narrator speaks.  That accounts for something over 80% of her total lines.  The mod on Nexus took a more complicated approach to achieve the same effect, but the audio subsystem is fairly resilient, and doesn't appear to get too upset when it simply can't find a piece of VO.

Edited by Ethics Gradient
  • Like 8

Again, what I'm pointing out isn't wrong, and it was something I *knew* I guess you could say, even if I wasn't 100%. It was rather obvious there was audio in the game that had more than one speaker and there'd be no earthly reason for those to be separate files. I dunno why you're being negative towards responses that point out the obvious challenge of implementing your feature request. I mean there's literally moments in the game of "God speaks" "Narrator speaks" "God continues".

And yeah, I still don't understand this insistence that the devs should reply to you at all. This is a relatively obscure and, imo, not fundamentally important request, even for those who want it. It's not even worth slowing down the roll-out of the new god challenges/boons, imo.

• Like 1

Yeah, the narrator is a speaker like any other character, the game would need to run a test against every line of dialogue to... blah... blah...

and then I poked around the binary a bit.   The game already does specifically test and handle narration differently.  It really is just a single if/then and fancy button away from redirecting (almost) all calls for narration off to a null.

The caveat is that there are still something like 100-200 pieces of dialogue which include narration, but are owned by a different speaker.  Any time you come across something like:

[sNARKY GOD]: "FI FI FO FUM, I SMELL A WATCHER... AND... VATNIR?  SERIOUSLY.  TAKE A BATH, DUDE."

You swear his lips remained motionless, but the weight of the reverberating sarcasm brings you to your knees.

that is all a single piece of text and single audio file owned by [GOD].  Splitting it apart would mean inserting a new dialogue node for just the narration and cutting the audio into two pieces.  There's no easy coding fix to address those instances, and would require a moderate level of rework.

But as I mentioned before, there is a relatively quick thing you can try.  Just dig through your install to find:

Renaming/deleting that single directory will cut out any audio where only the narrator speaks.  That accounts for something over 80% of her total lines.  The mod on Nexus took a more complicated approach to achieve the same effect, but the audio subsystem is fairly resilient, and doesn't appear to get too upset when it simply can't find a piece of VO.

What if I took out the offending global.bnk file (the one that messes up the combat sounds) and just used all the .wem files that the mod has?

Would that work in the way you describe?

Gifted mentioned this, but I thought there was already a thing that essentially slips narration? Like a space bar? Maybe that's the last game /just the BG style stuff?

You don't know how easy or hard it is to do. The devs do. That's why I would like a response from them.

and then I poked around the binary a bit. The game already does specifically test and handle narration differently. It really is just a single if/then and fancy button away from redirecting (almost) all calls for narration off to a null.

The caveat is that there are still something like 100-200 pieces of dialogue which include narration, but are owned by a different speaker. Any time you come across something like:

[sNARKY GOD]: "FI FI FO FUM, I SMELL A WATCHER... AND... VATNIR? SERIOUSLY. TAKE A BATH, DUDE."

that is all a single piece of text and single audio file owned by [GOD]. Splitting it apart would mean inserting a new dialogue node for just the narration and cutting the audio into two pieces. There's no easy coding fix to address those instances, and would require a moderate level of rework.

But as I mentioned before, there is a relatively quick thing you can try. Just dig through your install to find:

Renaming/deleting that single directory will cut out any audio where only the narrator speaks. That accounts for something over 80% of her total lines. The mod on Nexus took a more complicated approach to achieve the same effect, but the audio subsystem is fairly resilient, and doesn't appear to get too upset when it simply can't find a piece of VO.

Side note, but I always love the code /mod posts you do on this stuff. It's neat to read how it works.

• 2 months later...