Reactions from having a Deadfire culture

I carried my godlike pirate over from PoE 1. He had a Deadfire culture before PoE 2 was announced so I was excited about how that would play out.

From what I can tell the game acts that having the Deadfire culture means you're a Huana. As, even natives of the Deadfire, but who's ancestry came from Old Vailia, or wherever are still considered culturally whatever their ancestors were.

It's clear that as the Deadfire's lore got fleshed out it turned into that the Deadfire was mostly Islander Aumaua. This is obvious as Naasitaq was considered part of the Deadfire, but now it's mostly refereed to as its own region (crew mates from Naasitaq have that listed as their culture rather then Deadfire). This has made RPing my character confusing as in my mind he was born from human parents but were from the Deadfire. I suppose if I want to RP him as a human pirate-type I should be from Old Vailia, as that's the cultural background of the pirate faction? I'd love feedback and ideas from yall :D

• Like 1

I'm playing as a wood elf pirate from the Deadfire and there were moments when people would refer to me as "you are not Huana, but you are from here."

That's good to know :)

I keep seeing NPCs saying "I didn't know Huana had Watchers" and I've been wondering if they were referring to me. It seemed very odd.

I carried my godlike pirate over from PoE 1. He had a Deadfire culture before PoE 2 was announced so I was excited about how that would play out.

From what I can tell the game acts that having the Deadfire culture means you're a Huana. As, even natives of the Deadfire, but who's ancestry came from Old Vailia, or wherever are still considered culturally whatever their ancestors were.

It's clear that as the Deadfire's lore got fleshed out it turned into that the Deadfire was mostly Islander Aumaua. This is obvious as Naasitaq was considered part of the Deadfire, but now it's mostly refereed to as its own region (crew mates from Naasitaq have that listed as their culture rather then Deadfire). This has made RPing my character confusing as in my mind he was born from human parents but were from the Deadfire. I suppose if I want to RP him as a human pirate-type I should be from Old Vailia, as that's the cultural background of the pirate faction? I'd love feedback and ideas from yall :D

Aside from the (Admittedly very jarring) Huana comments, I feel like you can still get a lot of mileage out of being from the Deadfire if you want to play a pirate type character. After all, the "Raider" background option is only available to Deadfire characters (Unless you use a mod), and most of the interactions can be read from a perspective of you being there long enough to know the culture/have picked up a bit of the language. 

• Like 1