Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

Wakanda is very racist and very  bigoted. A hateful group of borg. But, I give them credit. For being a fictional country/group they are really good at brainwashing people in real life who somehow a) believe that wakanda is  actually real, b) a representation of how superior blacks are to others, and c) is how a super power should treat its neighbours or ther world. L0L

All those poor Afrikan countries beside them and Wakanda just laughs at them. Slaves being sold off and Wakanda stands there and giggles. How morally superior.

• Like 2

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yeah, it's a comic book movie guys. Relax.

No is not, according to critics is the new Roots. People in the future will be talking about the significance of this film.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Oh sure, there's a level of "rule of cool", break from reality, it's just a movie thing going., suspension of disbelief.... But you'd like just a little effort and thought put in when it's a subject you know about and/or are interested in.

Sure, it's a niche thing in many ways, but it can be like if you're really into x subject and it's in a film but totally wrong or done in a really stupid way after the characters involved are described as "experts" in the field.

It's that "they keep telling me they're the pros from Dover and I want to believe it.. but they can't even name the game, let alone play it."

Not serious, just irritating enough to zap that suspension of disbelief you so much want to engage.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

To jump away from that subject...

Star Wars as 80's anime...

Two souls, alas, are housed within my breast,

And each will wrestle for the mastery there.” -- Faust

On the one hand I love this - it's a great trailer and given Lucas' inspirations for Star Wars it's a perfect fit. As a Star Wars fan I'm loving it. On the other hand the character's artstyle rubs me the wrong way. It's just off. The contrast is made worse by everything else being spot on - animation, scenes, cinematography, editing.

So this is both totally awesome and weird to a point where it confuses me. Strange feeling.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Imagine the ancient romans charging into barbarian hordes instead of using their famous testudo or any other shield wall formation... I'm guessing history would look a lot different then.

That's pretty much what happened at Cannae, and that was numerically the worst defeat the Romans ever suffered (not as bad as others like Adrianople or the Allia in terms of actual consequences though). Might even still be the largest death toll in any single day European battle up to and including WW1&2.

Oh sure, there's a level of "rule of cool", break from reality, it's just a movie thing going., suspension of disbelief.... But you'd like just a little effort and thought put in when it's a subject you know about and/or are interested in.

The problem I have with it is that it always seems that the writers decide to write stupidly and expect you to be OK with them writing stupidly so long as it there are Bayesque explosions or worse, stultifying speeches involved. The Avengers example is far from the worst though, to be fair to it.

The end criminal v cops battle in Dark Knight Rises where the criminals decide to charge the cops for hand to hand combat instead of just shooting them with said guns ends up not being 'cool' but just being stupid as a consequence of the writers writing themselves into a corner where any realistic ending involves the good guys getting shot up badly or worse, winning but in a non spectacular way. Or the Walking Dead where Negan and his crew come out into the open to chat with Rick and pals and Rick and pals eventually open up with their assault rifles into the windows above their heads instead of just shooting the entire leadership and winning right there. All because of the meta justification that the writers wanted an excuse to have Rick and Negan chat to each other face to face and couldn't think of a believable way to do it, didn't care to find one and didn't care that even the most cursory examination of that scene would have it not making a lick of sense.

That's especially a problem for TWD as a regular TV series rather than a 2-3 hour movie.

• Like 1

Responses are pretty much exactly as expected

We watched Ocean's 8 last night and it was better than I expected but my expectations were so low that it would have been hard not to meet them. That's not to say it was a good movie or anything either as it's probably the worst of the Ocean's movies. 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

Usually I'm not bothered by bad tactics in movies, but I remember feeling the end of **** TRACY was particularly egregious, where all the criminals try to escape by driving directly into the cops crossfire...

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Responses are pretty much exactly as expected

We watched Ocean's 8 last night and it was better than I expected but my expectations were so low that it would have been hard not to meet them. That's not to say it was a good movie or anything either as it's probably the worst of the Ocean's movies. 

I can't believe it could be worse than Ocean's 12.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The movie was just lacking in most places. It had great actors but didn't give them much to do and not much character development and the heist was decent but lacked any suspense whatsoever. My wife is usually better than me at ignoring plot problems in movies and just enjoying herself but even she was like who wrote this crap. It's was just meh all around

Free games updated 3/4/21

Regarding JW:FK, I don't think they could realistically keep putting the genie in the bottle over dinosaurs getting off the island (how many times have pterosaurs escaped the island again? Three isn't it? And did they ever get rid of the Compys in South America?) so I'm not surprised we had a "release them all" story.

I think you'd have a hard time explaining a post-apocalyptic dino story based on the end of JWFK to fit the modern POTA films as a logical template; that story had two prongs; humanity was decimated by the virus that was making the apes smarter; consequently this gave the apes time to not be molested and grow/create their society. More than likely the next JW story will be about military forces trying to capture the escaped dinosaurs (since that seems to be the direction of the first two JWs), with a group of heroes trying to prevent that from happening while also containing the damage they're doing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

That's pretty much what happened at Cannae, and that was numerically the worst defeat the Romans ever suffered (not as bad as others like Adrianople or the Allia in terms of actual consequences though). Might even still be the largest death toll in any single day European battle up to and including WW1&2.

Had thought Cannae was just tactical idiocy on the Romans' part rather than them losing cohesion (a la Gladiator's opening scene) where they didn't utilize their superior numbers, deployed cavalry incorrectly and got suckered by a feint. Cannae definitely does seem to be up there in total casualties on single day looking at battles, assuming the high number of 92,000 is accurate. Watling Street has 80,000 but nothing close to that until modern times in Europe on a single day.

Also didn't realize Battle of Leipzig was so bloody and large - 600k troops involved and 124k casualties - over 3 days

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

The 'roman' (mostly allied) cavalry was just rubbish, and always was. All the large battles the Romans lost against Hannibal (Trebia, Trasimene) except Cannae involved their centre holding cohesion while the flanks got slaughtered and said centre just chopping their way through the Carthaginian line to escape, at Cannae they lost cohesion everywhere after their initial success and couldn't do that. No quarter given and the winning side having more than 20% casualties themselves led to the massive death toll, usually the losing side either surrendered or ran away.

Borodino is usually cited as the bloodiest day in Europe since Cannae. Even with a moderate estimate for Cannae's death toll it's still 1/20 that of a Verdun or Somme, with swords and spears, and over far less than 1/20 the time scale of those battles.

And to be somewhat on topic, Vin Diesel as Hannibal in the movies he was pitching would have been a sight to see.

• Like 1