Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cinéma vérité - and all other types

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
524 replies to this topic

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3317 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

I guess the people (most all not just the more religious ones) I know are just more... I don't know what to call them that doesn't sound condescending and honestly think those trash tier movies are moving/motivational/I don't what

That said, thanks for that movie list. Now maybe I can recommend some movies to them and maybe shift their perspectives.

Edited by ShadySands, 11 January 2019 - 06:25 PM.

• algroth and SonicMage117 like this

Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1764 posts
  • Steam:Ask!

There are lame-brained people in every walk of life, unfortunately.

LittleAmadillo0

LittleAmadillo0

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 166 posts

I think that the biggest problem with most Christian related movies is that most turn to propaganda.

They paint the Christian characters as all good and benevolent, while others that are not are considered scum. It reinforces the idea that they are in the right, rather than focusing on the messages that make Christianity resonate with so many people.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • Steam:Tale
  • PSN Portable ID:Taleroth
  • Kickstarter Backer
Captain America: Civil War

I'm going through some of the good Marvel films I've only watched once. And this was as good as I remember it being. Next will be Thor: Ragnorak and Infinity War.

Edit: 20 minutes into Thor: Ragnarok and I'm laughing out loud. Why don't I own this on Blu-Ray?
  • injurai and InsaneCommander like this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thor: Ragnarok is pretty amazing. Cate Blanchet (I know I'm not spelling this right) as Hela is a good reason to own it as well :p
  • InsaneCommander likes this

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Into the Spider-Verse is just outstanding. Really, everyone should watch it.

• Tale likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nah.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I think I've seen it 3 times in theater and 2 times at home :D #Spideyverse

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3315 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Okay, worth a few chuckles   Tor - Highway to the Danger Zone; The heterosexual tragedy of Top Gun

• Hurlshot likes this

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Captain America: Civil War

I'm going through some of the good Marvel films I've only watched once. And this was as good as I remember it being. Next will be Thor: Ragnorak and Infinity War.

Edit: 20 minutes into Thor: Ragnarok and I'm laughing out loud. Why don't I own this on Blu-Ray?

I really like Thor: Ragnarok. It's so much fun. And crazy.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

• Tale, InsaneCommander and algroth like this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1374 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Spoiler

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Think about what his powers are and think about what's going on.

• InsaneCommander likes this

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1374 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Think about what his powers are and think about what's going on.

I have, and I've factored that into my post above. I expect the 'twist' to be it's all elaborate creations of his own and that he's the one behind it all for reasons. I just don't think it's an angle that works as a 'twist' because we already expect a famous supervillain to turn out to be a supervillain, and why I would see something very different that actually defies those expectations being a more interesting potential route instead.

Edited by algroth, 15 January 2019 - 07:41 AM.

Tale

Tale

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 10995 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Twists haven't been a strong point in the MCU. Good characterization of the villains has been. Not one they've always managed, but when they do, it works. Like their version of Thanos or Vulture. If he has a sympathetic motive, he can be likable.

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1374 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Twists haven't been a strong point in the MCU. Good characterization of the villains has been. Not one they've always managed, but when they do, it works. Like their version of Thanos or Vulture. If he has a sympathetic motive, he can be likable.

The characterization of villains has been a weakness of theirs to the point it's become a meme, up until a couple of years ago when they've began to revert the trend through the likes of Ego, Vulture, Thanos and, on the Netflix side of things, Kilgrave and Fisk. Glad they've turned back on that at least. But Homecoming also offered one of the few genuinely surprising twists in the franchise thus far, and I wouldn't mind a little more of that myself. The fact that they're so far trying to frame Mysterio as a good guy both in press statements and in the trailer itself makes me wary that they may be trying to do so in the film as well and thus put a few too many eggs on the 'twist villain' basket, only to cause another Talia al'Ghul situation. Anyhow, just some thoughts and concerns I have relative to this trailer.

Edited by algroth, 15 January 2019 - 08:11 AM.

InsaneCommander

InsaneCommander

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2076 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The real twist would be if

Spoiler

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I pictured Mysterio as compmetely different, I didn't think it was going to be in Europe. I think Vegas or Egypt would have been better showcase areas for Mysterio's powers. In fact, Vegas would have been perfect given the powers and locale.

I agree with alot of the video comments which stated "He seems more like Iron Man and Thor mixed than Mysterio." also "So Sandman, Hydroman and Dormammu" I don't think what's shown in the trailer is a good display of Mysterio's powers simply because it's lesser of what has been shown in the comics, shows and video games which have made Mysterio fun.

Now I'm curious, IF Mysterio is good, maybe this will be an Ultimate Spider-Man cut where Mysterio dies by accident and then his daughter takes the Mysterio name and is even more powerful, becoming the true Mysterio villain.

Gfted1

Gfted1

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5929 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Mysterio doesn't have any powers. Hes just a poor mans Batman. :down:

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3237 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Hmmmm... the Ultimate Spider-Man universe is more interesting because he had powers, when he died, his spirit was trapped in his fishbowl helmet, that's where he communicated with his daughter to teach her everything he knew.

He even defeated Dr. Strange and Spidey simultaneously at one point before his daughter took the helm. It's strange that he beat Dr. Strange because Dr. Strange can manipulate realities whilist Mysterio just makes one believe he's changed reality but the mind stone, nor Loki couldn't even stand against Mysterious mastery for illusion and dark magic at one point either. I wanted to see some Cris Angel weirdness on screen, looks like a mixture of different villains into one though.

Edited by SonicMage117, 15 January 2019 - 09:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users