Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cinéma vérité - and all other types

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
524 replies to this topic

Lexx

Lexx

Adventurer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4013 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Turns out, this last Avengers movie was actually pretty good. I didn't fell asleep at all, and generally it was quite captive.

/edit: But this Wakanda stuff is still super stupid and I just can't take it serious.

Edited by Lexx, 22 September 2018 - 01:25 AM.

• Vitalis likes this

Raithe

Raithe

Lurking Caped One of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3315 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Turns out, this last Avengers movie was actually pretty good. I didn't fell asleep at all, and generally it was quite captive.

/edit: But this Wakanda stuff is still super stupid and I just can't take it serious.

It would be nice to see at least some passing nod to the concept of tactics and strategy in films these days. Not just "Hey, we're highly technologically advanced, we'll horde mob rush the enemy with no thought to cover, combined arms, or air support..."

• Vitalis likes this

Lexx

Lexx

• Members
  • 4013 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Don't remind me of this scene. I've face palmed waaay too hard when they gave up their formation and just rushed at the enemy. This was just too dumb.

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2680 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk

That's not what bothered me about that scene at all, what bothered me was that it was pretty much the droid - gungan war from Episode 1.

gungans.jpg

"Wakanda forever!"

• ShadySands, Tale, Orogun01 and 2 others like this

Lexx

Lexx

• Members
  • 4013 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well, it's not the only issue I had with it. I've also lol'd when they said "Wakanda über alles!" (Wakanda above everything) ... that's some very third reich thing to say. :D

Still, the breaking of the formation is so painful to watch. They were fighting furious melee enemies, there really was no reason to do any such thing. Imagine the ancient romans charging into barbarian hordes instead of using their famous testudo or any other shield wall formation... I'm guessing history would look a lot different then.

Edited by Lexx, 22 September 2018 - 06:19 AM.

• Vitalis likes this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Well, it's not the only issue I had with it. I've also lol'd when they said "Wakanda über alles!" (Wakanda above everything) ... that's some very third reich thing to say. :D

I cringed at the whole "our people" on Black Panther, as if Africans haven't been killing each other over nothings.

• Vitalis likes this

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Wakanda is very racist and very  bigoted. A hateful group of borg. But, I give them credit. For being a fictional country/group they are really good at brainwashing people in real life who somehow a) believe that wakanda is  actually real, b) a representation of how superior blacks are to others, and c) is how a super power should treat its neighbours or ther world. L0L

All those poor Afrikan countries beside them and Wakanda just laughs at them. Slaves being sold off and Wakanda stands there and giggles. How morally superior.

• Lexx and Vitalis like this

Hurlshot

Hurlshot

Obsidian Order Hockey Puck

• Members
  • 9097 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Hurlshot
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, it's a comic book movie guys. Relax.
  • ShadySands likes this

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

No is not, according to critics is the new Roots. People in the future will be talking about the significance of this film.

• Hurlshot likes this

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3315 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oh sure, there's a level of "rule of cool", break from reality, it's just a movie thing going., suspension of disbelief.... But you'd like just a little effort and thought put in when it's a subject you know about and/or are interested in.

Sure, it's a niche thing in many ways, but it can be like if you're really into x subject and it's in a film but totally wrong or done in a really stupid way after the characters involved are described as "experts" in the field.

It's that "they keep telling me they're the pros from Dover and I want to believe it.. but they can't even name the game, let alone play it."

Not serious, just irritating enough to zap that suspension of disbelief you so much want to engage.

HoonDing

HoonDing

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 9346 posts

why didn't American and their fancy super heroes liberate Latveria

Raithe

Raithe

• Members
  • 3315 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

To jump away from that subject...

Star Wars as 80's anime...

• majestic likes this

majestic

majestic

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 984 posts
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

To jump away from that subject...

Star Wars as 80's anime...

Spoiler

Two souls, alas, are housed within my breast,
And each will wrestle for the mastery there
.” -- Faust

On the one hand I love this - it's a great trailer and given Lucas' inspirations for Star Wars it's a perfect fit. As a Star Wars fan I'm loving it. On the other hand the character's artstyle rubs me the wrong way. It's just off. The contrast is made worse by everything else being spot on - animation, scenes, cinematography, editing.

So this is both totally awesome and weird to a point where it confuses me. Strange feeling.

Zoraptor

Zoraptor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2686 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Imagine the ancient romans charging into barbarian hordes instead of using their famous testudo or any other shield wall formation... I'm guessing history would look a lot different then.

That's pretty much what happened at Cannae, and that was numerically the worst defeat the Romans ever suffered (not as bad as others like Adrianople or the Allia in terms of actual consequences though). Might even still be the largest death toll in any single day European battle up to and including WW1&2.

Oh sure, there's a level of "rule of cool", break from reality, it's just a movie thing going., suspension of disbelief.... But you'd like just a little effort and thought put in when it's a subject you know about and/or are interested in.

The problem I have with it is that it always seems that the writers decide to write stupidly and expect you to be OK with them writing stupidly so long as it there are Bayesque explosions or worse, stultifying speeches involved. The Avengers example is far from the worst though, to be fair to it.

The end criminal v cops battle in Dark Knight Rises where the criminals decide to charge the cops for hand to hand combat instead of just shooting them with said guns ends up not being 'cool' but just being stupid as a consequence of the writers writing themselves into a corner where any realistic ending involves the good guys getting shot up badly or worse, winning but in a non spectacular way. Or the Walking Dead where Negan and his crew come out into the open to chat with Rick and pals and Rick and pals eventually open up with their assault rifles into the windows above their heads instead of just shooting the entire leadership and winning right there. All because of the meta justification that the writers wanted an excuse to have Rick and Negan chat to each other face to face and couldn't think of a believable way to do it, didn't care to find one and didn't care that even the most cursory examination of that scene would have it not making a lick of sense.

That's especially a problem for TWD as a regular TV series rather than a 2-3 hour movie.

• Raithe likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3313 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Responses are pretty much exactly as expected

We watched Ocean's 8 last night and it was better than I expected but my expectations were so low that it would have been hard not to meet them. That's not to say it was a good movie or anything either as it's probably the worst of the Ocean's movies. 

Edited by ShadySands, 22 September 2018 - 05:03 PM.

Amentep

Amentep

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 5216 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Usually I'm not bothered by bad tactics in movies, but I remember feeling the end of **** TRACY was particularly egregious, where all the criminals try to escape by driving directly into the cops crossfire...
  • ShadySands likes this

ShadySands

ShadySands

The Guy on the Couch of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3313 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

It used to bug me a lot but now I just try to ignore it

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3843 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Movies are dead, can someone recommend me a good one?

algroth

algroth

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1374 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Movies are dead, can someone recommend me a good one?

Mandy

Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Upgrade. Unexpectedly good.

• Tale likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users