Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

never saw leave no trace, but in addition to already mentioned arguable snub, am thinking only addition we might make is the black and white polish film, a description which is kinda self-explanatory as to why am not surprised it failed to get a best picture nomination. cold war is a movie we liked, in spite o' our general loathing for jazz and searingly bleak romance films. replace a star is born with cold war wouldn't have bothered us much. 

and am s'posing we read too much 'bout neil armstrong and apollo missions to fully appreciate first man.  the rl first man were an utter genuine and unflappable eisenhower era boy scout from the american midwest. such a person, while real, were no doubt too cartoony for modern audiences. felt somehow disrespectful to "humanize" neil armstrong, as if the reality weren't good enough.

were also minor bothered by a few instances o' dramatic license and the hamfisted attempts to inject social awareness into the flick.  making first man fit within historical and cultural milieu were a worthy goal, but the manner in which such were achieved were forced as 'posed to seeming flow natural from the narrative. add whitey on the moon were a calculated attempt to cheese off the far-right.  song were a powerful addition, but kinda came out o' nowhere, and then were abandoned.  am not a fan o' directors and their social pretensions muddying films. make integral and develop as 'posed to using as a surprise backhand slap. addition, movies ain't history books or comprehensive biographies and so am typical able to divorce our self from questions o' the merits o' real v. art.  in all honesty, first man is actual pretty darn accurate insofar as the history is concerned (at least as far as we know) and given time limitations o' a movie runtimes n' such.  even so, the instances o' dramatic license in first man felt utter unnecessary to us. the assassination of jesse james by the coward robert ford did not get our shorts in a twist 'cause it played fast and loose with facts.   jesse james were a good story and we appreciated it as such... though am thinking it coulda' benefited from a bit more editing.  converse, jesse james weren't actual selling itself as historic accurate.  bloody up neil armstrong after a crash when all he had were a split lip?  whatever.

if beale street could talk and cold war is only two we think o' as snubs, and we never actual believed cold war would be considered.  not bad overall. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Tried to watch Solo via Netflix, mostly to see what any "fuss" was about.

I got about half-way through before walking off to do other things (hubby watched the rest). Not because I found it terrible, I just didn't care enough to continue. The guy playing Solo was all right, the jokes were all right (although predictable), some of the winkwink stuff to the original films (and Mr. Wookie bits) made me lightly chuckle, and the action was all right. But that was the problem. It's just "all right." There's no suspense (we know his future already) so there's little story motivation for me. Thus even tho I wasn't disliking it, half was all the time I felt like giving it. But I can some folk liking it as a by the numbers type of adventure film. Oh, there is one thing I didn't like - Woody Harrelson. I do love him as an actor most of the time, but for some reason I felt like he didn't fit into SW-verse. He sticks out too much or feels too real-world modern or something. Lesser known actor would've been better in this case perhaps.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

While we're on the discusion of the black attack and the asian invasion, I have to say that I agree with the genealized black character in Bumblebee, it may be stereotyping and racial crucifiction but it's right on and still stands true for a blerd til this day. When the racial lines are crossed, and one race adopts the culture of another, it tends to stir up some drama. Following with that, I found that the ending to Bumblebee in which

The blerd doesn't actually get the white punk-rocker girl loner (she rejects him)

was all too realistic as well.

That said, I also loved Spawn and Blade. That it could break the African American stereotype for what an African American can be or be interested into. A "Let's see dark colored people for something other than sports objects and criminals and view them as criminals with superpowers" was pretty awesome and a nice way to spin the cultural perspective in favor to the African American people in the American doctrine to society so good on them.

As well, Tyler Perry's Mrs. Doubtfire, Eddie Murphy's Nutty Professor, Norbit, and Vampire In London suggests "We blerds can dream it, we can achieve it!" from all the way back in the late 80's this type of formulated idea has exists even so what makes Black Panther stand out?

What makes Black Panther different than any other Blerd film in history? The answer is: Alot. (if you are a Marvel/Comic fan you probably already know) But ironically it has nothing to do with race.

https://www.theringer.com/movies/2018/2/16/17020582/black-panther-marvel-mcu-history-iron-man-captain-america

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/02/15/4-ways-black-panther-subverts-marvel-cinematic-universe-stereotypes/#696ddc466711

My all time fav blerd movie will always be GOOD BURGER! Loolz

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Ctrl+F reveals 5 instances of "blerd" in one post. Did you just learn that word? :p

To be honest, I did! I never heard it before watching the newest season of Survivor lol

It's almost as strange as the word "Blasian", another word I like.

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

I walked away from Solo on Netflix in about 15 minutes.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I think I said it before, but the Han Solo guy is bad because he is trying to mimic Harrison Ford instead of being his own version of Han. Donald Glover was better at creating his own Lando at least. But it was also just kind of a mess of a story.

Still haven't watched Solo. Star Wars is the perfect introduction to his character, he doesn't need a prequel. Terrible idea by Disney.

Pretty excited about the casting for Dune so far. Timothy Chamalet as Paul Atreides is a good match I think. Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen could be good too. Of course the most important thing is that Villeneuve is directing.

• Like 2

I think prequels, in general, are a bad idea although it also depends on the prequel too.  I still enjoyed Solo, but it doesn't feel like an essential story either that we needed to see.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Solo is one of them movies you watch once and then never again.

/Edit: So I watched Bird Box. Was not bad, but there is this one big question I had at the very end of the movie:

How do they feed all these people? They probably require a boatload of farmland or something to keep everyone up and running.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I think I said it before, but the Han Solo guy is bad because he is trying to mimic Harrison Ford instead of being his own version of Han. Donald Glover was better at creating his own Lando at least. But it was also just kind of a mess of a story.

I didn't find the Han Solo actor to remind me of Harrison Ford in any way, not even in overt imitation sense. Outside of the costumes he just felt generic and without a lot of true charisma (I mean he was ok, like I said earlier, just nothing that stands out). Although perhaps that's because the actor's face kept distracting me by reminding me of someone else, and finally I placed it: Harry Hamlin - '81 Clash of the Titans. :lol: It's the jaw/cheekbones mostly I suppose.

Edit: that said, it is a tall order indeed to fill the charismatic shoes of Harrison Ford as the iconic Han Solo, younger version or not.

Edit Edit: or maybe it's because I didn't see the latter half and he becomes more imitation at that point

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think prequels, in general, are a bad idea although it also depends on the prequel too.  I still enjoyed Solo, but it doesn't feel like an essential story either that we needed to see.

I thought Rogue One was perfect. Totally self-contained story with characters that complete their entire arc in one movie.

• Like 1

Pretty excited about the casting for Dune so far. Timothy Chamalet as Paul Atreides is a good match I think.

is easy to forget, but paul is 'posed to be fifteen at time o' dune. am not too annoyed by movie director insistence to go considerable older with paul casting, but depending on how true-to-books the movie is, there could be moments where paul atreides behaviour feels less believable for a twenty-something than would be for a youngish looking eighteen-year-old or fifteen-year-old.

am s'posing the real issue for director is the age o' chani's actress.  paul is gonna need be similar age to chani unless they is aiming to be uncomfortable creepy.  go for 20-something hotness for chani but keep paul fifteen?

*shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

/Edit: So I watched Bird Box. Was not bad, but there is this one big question I had at the very end of the movie:

How do they feed all these people? They probably require a boatload of farmland or something to keep everyone up and running.

Good question. Especially because:

1- They are all blind or with their eyes covered.

2- The crazy people would eventually find the farm.

sign.jpg

Pretty excited about the casting for Dune so far. Timothy Chamalet as Paul Atreides is a good match I think. Stellan Skarsgård as Baron Harkonnen could be good too. Of course the most important thing is that Villeneuve is directing.

Dune is by far the cinema project I'm most anticipating. I absolutely love every casting choice they've made this far. Especially the Baron, Paul and Lady Jessica.

• Like 1

So I saw Mortal Engines, don't think it was Star Wars ripoff, though I do see the borrowed ideas such as the ending

The bombing run and revealing of the villain being the the main girl's father

But by that logic, there would be so many other movies/shows that stole from the original Star Wars trilogy.

Are we going to call it the Steampunk Star Wars?