Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

I cannot 100% vouch for her interpretation because, again, I'd really need to rewatch the film to do so. However she does support her claims with ample references to scenes and context, which you do not despite claiming she's omitting stuff, and given your interpretation above I am somewhat more trusting of her take instead. Also because the talk of a decaying society and a "golden age" of the past does sound very close to the idealized ambiguous past used to motivate the kind of fear and indignation she references in her article. Likewise I don't think she condoned the violence of the 1992 riots at any point either (the opening paragraph sounds as a condemnation more than anything, focusing on the damages opposite to any potential change or demonstration that may have arisen from them), referred to them more as context surrounding the film's production and release. I wouldn't assume to know her thoughts of Do the Right Thing considering she doesn't even reference the film in the article.

She goes out of her way to mention "White Rage" omits the bit on the film where Michael Douglas is attacked by Hispanic gangs, and completely avoids mentioning the race of the LA rioters.

The economic gap between classes was less before the 80's, I would say that is certainly more gilded than in recent times. The fact is that she isn't old enough to have the reference of a better time.

I brought up Do the Right thing as it is a similar premise but with a different race, except that since blacks are on the liberals protected groups (unless they're Republicans) you'd likely won't hear a peep from SJW reviewers.

Falling Down is definitively not a movie for this generation of apologist snowflakes.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Falling Down is a film about a guy who can't handle the real world. He's messed up his marriage, his career, and his responsibility as a parent. He is the 'snowflake' if you are so keen to use that word. His whole rampage starts because he can't handle traffic with his busted AC. Sure, he is sympathetic, but he's also petty and blames everyone else for his problems. He's the both the victim and the villain. 

The hero is Duvall's cop, who has problems of his own, but still handles his responsibilities in life. 

• Like 4

A few days ago I watched Falling Down again.

Never gets old, one of the best movies ever.

Love the movie, hate the ending. It always felt forced, as in he needs to be a bad guy because otherwise the film would be accused of promoting violence, even though for most of it he is a sympathetic character.
The ending isn't the thing making him a bad guy.

His anger felt justified to me, maybe that's what made him sympathetic.

The issue isn't the justification or lack thereof, but the way in which he responds to those triggers. It's kind of what makes a villain a sympathetic villain: relatable motivations to justify questionable deeds.

So you never had enough bull**** to run your cup over? You never yelled at a telemarketer for bothering you after a hard day, or did something in the like? Either you should get yourself nominated for sainthood or get yourself some self awareness, cause I'm pretty sure everyone gets fed up and vents. Sometimes at the expense of someone.

Yep, but then I learned to harness that impotent rage. Works better than caffeine!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Nice links :lol:

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Aquaman was overly long but it seemed to know how silly the concept is and had some fun with it.

It is a lot of what I hear and seen from Superhero movies nowadays. Too many needless action sequences jammed into the film and directed by second units.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Avengers: Infinity War is finally on Netflix! Damn that was good!

I noticed that, and it made me realize that I hadn't seen it yet. So no wonder I had no clue what that next movie trailer was about. :p

Tried to watch Bird Box (Netflix, Sandra Bullock). Tried being the operative word. I didn't get past the 30-40 minute mark and that with some ffwding. For taking itself so seriously, it was too ludicrous (The Happening came to my mind a couple times) and while I generally like Sandra all right, I thought she wasn't good in this role at all. But YMMV. And no, haven't read the book/novel/whatever.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The Happening! That's exactly the movie I was trying to describe to my wife; "you know, that movie that when the wind blows people kill themselves."

I made it about just as long as you before bailing but she watched it all. I asked her about the end and got;

"somethingsomething, crazy people are immune."

:lol:

• Like 1

Downsizing - What a weird movie. It started out as a bit of a comedy, then had some sci-fi, then kind of a journey of self discovery, then environmental stuff, then it kind of just ended. It was pretty hard to watch. The sci-fi parts were where it shined, but they were few and far between. Can't really recommend it. 

• Like 1

Caught Ocean's 8 on the plane.

Hm, okay, the acting is good, the chemistry between Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchet, Anne Hathaway, and the rest generally work, it's all slick and smooth, and it does have a nice bit of twist towards the end. But something seemed missing, there just weren't enough playful twists in the process, it was quite straightforward right up until the end.

It's like it has all the ingredients there, but something failed to rise in the oven. I would watch it again, but more as a lazy evening, on tv kind of way.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I've been subjected to a couple of those new Transformers movies and I think "numb" would probably be the best word for how they've made me feel.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Bay didn't ruin your childhood memories of Transformers, so much as he sidles up against them, stuck his hand in the pocket and molested them somewhat.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Saw Mary Poppins Returns over break. Fell asleep for at least a half hour in the middle of it? I haven't fallen asleep in a movie in years. It was well put together but I guess not very gripping. Emily Blunt is also way too cold as Poppins, it was weird. Oh, and it's ending moral is invest your tuppence and you can stave of your families destitution assuming you can navigate the predatory nature of banks. Oh and I guess it assumes interests rates that actually yield returns. Can always count on Disney to be the paragon of value dissemination.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 did it better, 6/10.

Into the Spiderverse

I'm mad about two things.

1) That I missed Miles Morales original origin in the comics. This was powerful and I'm amazed they were able to pack so much into this film.

2) That I left after the midcredits, came home, and found out there was a true end credits scene.

• Like 1
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Cam. (Netflix)

My wife and I saw this and it made us feel pretty bad for the girl. She's a young camgirl, not that pretty so needs to resort to doing anything crazy to climb charts. Someone basically hacks her account and makes a digital double to get revenge on her taking their place in the ranks! As a guy, I found it to be pretty intense and realistic - as in something that can really happen in the real world. Worth checking out at least.

My Teacher, My Obsession.

I was forced to at watch with the wife, good acting but pretty stereotypical lifetime type movie. Crazy student falls in love with teacher, seduces him and kills people after being rejected. There isn't a rape card being played simce the girl is of legal age in the story - which is refreshing for thos type of movie.

Replicas.

I really enjoyed it for some reason. Was kinda a mixture of iRobot, Flatliners and Stepford Wives. All which I enjoyed so it makes sense that I would enjoy this one as well. Sci-Fi and Horror have always been my favorites and it's even better when those two genres are melded together to create something unique. Also, because I have a family, I admit I had a weak moment when he lost his in the wreck.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Bumblebee is the Transformers movie we as kids always wanted in the 80's bit since tech sucked, we had to wait...

Phenomenal, the bots are G1 models.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...