Cinéma vérité - and all other types

Amentep

The new Movies thread.

Disney's released an official Mary Poppins Returns trailer:

For my part I watched THE MAZE (1953) which was a pretty fun 50s horror film (with a bit of a push, could have been a Lovecraftian tale)

• Like 6

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The question is.. Will **** Van Dyke have a really bad accent in this one? ;)

I'm pretty sure he said (joked?) that one of the conditions of his return was that the accent wasn't returning. ;)

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I'm having an anachronastic crisis here

Well, to help your mind find peace.. did you realise that that children's classic, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.. was actually a novel written by Ian Fleming? As in, the man who wrote James Bond.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I hope they just have a bad ADR for this trailer. Because I really want them to pull this off. Growing up the character seemed like B-list eyecandy Marvel didn't really know what to do with. I know Marvel has supposedly turned it around in the comics, but it'll be great to finally see her grow into her own without wading into years worth of serial baggage.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Why do the shots at 1:11 and 1:32 look they are literally just Katie Sackhoff's Starbuck straight out of Battlestar Galactica? That doesn't even look like Brie Larson to me.

Because that is a fake trailer video from Smasher.

• Like 3

I'm pretty confident that the film will be just fine as most MCU films are, but I'm getting heavy middle-of-the-road YA adaptation vibes from this, the likes of Ender's Game, The Maze Runner and Power Rangers. It feels rather cheesy and unspectacular despite all the obvious spectacle in it.

• Like 1

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

Turns out, this last Avengers movie was actually pretty good. I didn't fell asleep at all, and generally it was quite captive.

/edit: But this Wakanda stuff is still super stupid and I just can't take it serious.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Turns out, this last Avengers movie was actually pretty good. I didn't fell asleep at all, and generally it was quite captive.

/edit: But this Wakanda stuff is still super stupid and I just can't take it serious.

It would be nice to see at least some passing nod to the concept of tactics and strategy in films these days. Not just "Hey, we're highly technologically advanced, we'll horde mob rush the enemy with no thought to cover, combined arms, or air support..."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Don't remind me of this scene. I've face palmed waaay too hard when they gave up their formation and just rushed at the enemy. This was just too dumb.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well, it's not the only issue I had with it. I've also lol'd when they said "Wakanda über alles!" (Wakanda above everything) ... that's some very third reich thing to say. :D

Still, the breaking of the formation is so painful to watch. They were fighting furious melee enemies, there really was no reason to do any such thing. Imagine the ancient romans charging into barbarian hordes instead of using their famous testudo or any other shield wall formation... I'm guessing history would look a lot different then.

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1

Well, it's not the only issue I had with it. I've also lol'd when they said "Wakanda über alles!" (Wakanda above everything) ... that's some very third reich thing to say. :D

I cringed at the whole "our people" on Black Panther, as if Africans haven't been killing each other over nothings.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif