Looking for a lore party, and a PC to fill it out

So, I got this game a while back, but didn't get far before I got distracted with other things. For funsies, I though I'd actually play through the game. If it matters any, I have PoE and WM1 (I've heard other expansions have come out since). As of now, I don't remember really anything about this game, but I did a little spoiler-free research on the companions and have read that (though opinions may differ) the ones with the most support as having something to add to the game/story are Eder, Durance, Aloth, and Grieving Mother. I figured I'd reserve the last slot for random NPCs and their quests, but if this is my core party, I'm not sure what to build to fill it out. I'm guessing a cleric, cipher and mage are all backline, so I figure maybe something that can help protect them? If Eder is a tank, than maybe a rogue or ranger-type? However, all I really know about the classes is what I learned from the Baldur's Gate games, and I know it's different here.

Anyway, I basically am looking for a character build that would work with those 4 and get the most out of the story. Thanks.

Pallegina (earliest), Zahua, or Mahena. 

For Mahena, you need WM2, but that is HIGHLY recommended anyway.  Once it is installed, you will find Mahena during WM1 visit to Stalwart.

I like backstory on all the Comps.  So plan on temp acquiring each of them, though the ones above are the off tank type you probably need.

Well, Hiravias could do it if built correctly, or the Devil.  But by the time you can aquire the Devil, you will have developed alternate solutions for the Rouge shaped hole in your party.

Sagani is probably the least useful, but has an interesting story, and some of the "most supportive", loyal, scripting.  Friendliest.

I find Kana Rua a bit dull.  Chanters can be built reasonably tanky...but I am no good at it.  :facepalm:

(Small SPOILER Alert, PoE II: DF)

For what it is worth, the 3 "Old Companions" that you will (or may) see again if you later delve again into the Watcher's soul and history, are:

Eder, "the BFF"  (no secret/spoiler there; he's active in the sequel before your PC is.);

Aloth, and Pallegina.

Based on your suggestions, it sounds like the Watcher should be a Paladin, Monk, or Barbarian if my core party is Eder, Durance, Aloth and GM? Am I going to be able to get enough damage out there with two tanks, two CCs and whatever the Cleric does?

Chanter would probably also work well, as PC.  I would look up suggested chanter tank/off-tank builds in this forum, however.

Personally, I love Monk PCs.

Sorry I didn't pay proper attention and realize you were looking for PC suggestions.  I somehow got the idea that you had your PC picked out.