What I hope for next Obsidian game

OBS fail in Deadfire was the full VO. I dont know why they thought it was necessary. Most of it is cringe worthy anyway with the Valian language intersecting with English. Like me always saying, Hola! Amigo! And then splicing in English.

less companion and more content for each one

and no more sidekick

interconnected mission web over all the map

and less accessory

manage those things are very annoying

just armor weapon and one accessory base on class will be enough

Edited by uuuhhii
  • Like 1

I don't quite agree with the OP about the overall quality of the writing, awkward and rushed romances aside. I rather did enjoy the individual stories (main plot was forgettable), and some of the interesting situations. With that said; Icewind Dale 1 and 2 are some of my favorite games of all time, and honestly are the ones that got me into RPG's in the first place. I always liked them more than Baldurs Gate. I liked how direct they were; there was a dark lord rising, or a doomish legion doing its thing, and your squad of heroes was there to face the threat. I remember coming up with all kinds of stories and imagening the dynamics between my squad, my creation, and sometimes, a well timed voice over from the unit prompts just made the whole thing work so splendidly.

I remember a brilliant moment in Dorns Deep; the fire giants are routing, blocking each others exit from the bridge while the dwarven warrior is smashing away, yelling "I'll wash me beard in yer blood!". Or the time when, in Kresselacs tomb, everyone came under a sleep spell except for the cleric, who simply intoned " ...well,  looks like I'm gonna have to go on a killing spree...", before taking his hammer to town on every undead bugger in sight. (Spoiler; he saved the day!). 

Which is all to say; I don't quite agree with those who posted saying that the Icewind parties had 0 personality. The point was for you to fill in the gaps yourself, and for me, it made me connect with my whole party all the more. 

I enjoyed POE 1 and 2 through and through, I've finished the first one at least three times now, and the second is going to have a third run for sure. Likewise, Tyranny was great. With all of that said, I would definitely welcome a new Icewind Dale style game too! 

• Like 1

After playing POEII, I've felt that Icewind Dale style RPG, which is focused on dungeon crawling and battles, would be very fit with your team. 

- The romance was not good

- The interactions between companions were not good

- The navy-related contents were not good

- The main story and quests were bad

Now what you've been doing mainly, is balancing items, skills, and classes, with adding much more challenges; combat systems. those things are very important for the IWD style RPG. Your team is doing fine for those. Such dungeon crawling game doesn't need,

- Interactions between companions, because all party members are created by players

- Full voice acting

- The other sub-systems like the navy-related

You don't need to make an effort for what you barely do well. You can focus on what you do well. 

Balancing things, tweaking systems, etc is always something that happens post-release on nearly every game. Most games don't change story and character elements after release! I don't know why you think this observation means Obsidian is focused on the combat versus the story.

• Like 3

What!!!  Don't you dare take Eder away - then I won't be able to have him killed saving my Watcher from Xaurips ... serious though I disagree with this post 100 lol.

The more I play the game the more I enjoy it - that can rarely be said about an RPG / video game - and a lot of that is due to the writing and characters, combat and nuance (and the God's challenges).

If anything I hope Obsidian keeps pushing the envelope and trying new things - if they don't do that they won't exist!

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

[...] isn't the whole point of being on this forum to discuss our tastes?

You are right, but there is difference between posts like this: "Hey guys, here be stuff I liked, here be stuff I did not [optional list of whys with opinions and arguments], debates invited" and this: "Oi, your game did not conform to my definition of a good game therefore it is objectively bad! To make it objectively good you must do as I say!" The former is good and there are plenty of good examples of its use on this very forum; the latter reminds me of those flabby couch potatoes sprawled in front of their TVs, beer in one hand, remote in another, postulating on how this coach and that national team like, totally suck and how they would like, totally win that World Cup if only they listened to his invaluable advice, and they should be ridiculed and otherwise weeded out at first opportunity to prevent them from taking valuable space from possible quality discussions.

What!!! Don't you dare take Eder away - then I won't be able to have him killed saving my Watcher from Xaurips ... serious though I disagree with this post 100 lol.

The more I play the game the more I enjoy it - that can rarely be said about an RPG / video game - and a lot of that is due to the writing and characters, combat and nuance (and the God's challenges).

If anything I hope Obsidian keeps pushing the envelope and trying new things - if they don't do that they won't exist!

Ha. Turns out my fav dialogue in all of Deadfire is Eder's response when you ask "Who are you?"

• Like 1

I'd like to see a more tightly focused game with more reactivity, like Tyranny. I've been playing it lately, and loving it. I'm particularly fond of the fact that it gives me authority and lets me boss people around :p It's also great how it has a strong, convincing motive for the player character. There's always a sense of proper involvement due to how fundamentally the premise, and your role in it, ties to everything that happens in the game. You're basically doing your job. They did much more with much less.

Better and more focused narrative, more reactivity, smaller world, less but more impactful fights > big/open world, lots of mundane errand quests that have no bearing on anything, lots of useless trash fights, narrative that has to conform to open world design and loses its urgency

Besides that, I'll also say what I don't want them to do again: focus so much content in one city. I found Neketaka in PoE2 quite overwhelming, and had trouble balancing my gameplay between r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶r̶r̶a̶n̶d̶s̶ completing quests there and exploring the archipelago. I've heard others report the same problem. 

EDIT: I have no idea how to add quote to a post when editing, but I agree with aksrasjel about the whole god-centric storyline getting old. In fact, I never liked it to begin with. 

Edited by Multihog
  • Like 1

I'd like to see a more tightly focused game with more reactivity, like Tyranny. I've been playing it lately, and loving it. I'm particularly fond of the fact that it gives me authority and lets me boss people around :p It's also great how it has a strong, convincing motive for the player character. There's always a sense of proper involvement due to how fundamentally the premise, and your role in it, ties to everything that happens in the game. You're basically doing your job. They did much more with much less.

Better and more focused narrative, more reactivity, smaller world, less but more impactful fights > big/open world, lots of mundane errand quests that have no bearing on anything, lots of useless trash fights, narrative that has to conform to open world design and loses its urgency

Besides that, I'll also say what I don't want them to do again: focus so much content in one city. I found Neketaka in PoE2 quite overwhelming, and had trouble balancing my gameplay between r̶u̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶e̶r̶r̶a̶n̶d̶s̶ completing quests there and exploring the archipelago. I've heard others report the same problem. 

EDIT: I have no idea how to add quote to a post when editing, but I agree with aksrasjel about the whole god-centric storyline getting old. In fact, I never liked it to begin with. 

Tyranny was good - but maybe a little too small!!!!  I want to see larger world with more content ;) I will say exploring the Old Walls in Tyranny may have been one of my favorite game experiences ...

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy