We're a mercenary squad, not a traveling brothel!

I think the reactions to this sort of content will vary wildly depending upon maturity and life experiences. Having said that, objectification should always be objectionable in my humble opinion. The romances in this game were uniformly terrible, with the notable exception of that which develops between Eder and Xoti. It was nice watching her work at winning him over then seeing him slowly come around and grow a little in the process. It was sweet.

Personally, however, while I only felt mild disappointment over the handling of relationships amongst party members. . .It was the advances made by drunken crew which I found specifically insulting. With no option to fire them, let alone keelhaul their sorry asses, and only to abandon them in port but still see their smug faces every time I opened the ship manifest screen. . .everything about those scenarios undermined the experience for me. Especially after the third such encounter.

Also, while touching upon the topic, I think there should be a lot more sailors to choose from. And touching on that topic, I would like to add I thought it was swell that if one happens (quite accidentally on my part) to wind upon with an entirely female crew, the shanties they sing at sea actually change to reflect the predominate gender of the crew. Unfortunately, due to constraints on imagination or budget or both, there are only two such female dominate songs in the repertoire which was disappointing because I really appreciated that level of attention to detail and diligence. It was the sort of thing I did not know I wanted and was disappointed to find existed in such minute quantity.

I've played for 250 hours and more or less finished 4 playthroughs, and I've never been propositioned by a drunken crew member.

I hope Old Engrim is one of the possible ones, lmao. (I just remember him because he was the **** to lead the one mutiny I got, for the achievement.)

The only thing I'd change is lock the progression behind major plot events. But at the same time the main plot is so painfully short you will still think they are jumping on to you too fast.

My favorite romances from Obsidian were KOTORII and Mask of the Betrayer, because they went through the entire game following the plot progression and revealing details about characters, ending up at the game climax. As for example Safiya is a piece of someone's soul, self-absorbed Gann deciding to stay with the MC regardless of the path you choose (even serving Kelemvor in the afterlife), Atton turning darkside if you make wrong choices etc, Handmaiden having a mystery of her origins, Visas being connected to Nihilus, etc.

I think Deadfire suffered not because they jump onto you too fast, but because there is really no mystery about the characters and no changes to their personalities. We pretty much know all about them, so there is very little to discover and very little to talk about. Xoti is probably the only one who can go darkside, but she is still her old righteous self.

I understand its probably a design choice to make the ending as open as possible, since there will be further installments, but I feel it does very much limit how interesting the characters end up, and coupled with the short plot, how much drama they can bring to the table.

Edited by Aridea
  • Like 2
Emissary Tar: At last, someone who looks like they could be of some assistance! The assorted boobs and dimwits around here have been of very little help.

Charname: I’m afraid you have mistaken us for someone else. I’m Dimwit, this is my good friend Boob, and behind me you’ll find Brainless and Moron. How do you do? 

The only thing I'd change is lock the progression behind major plot events. But at the same time the main plot is so painfully short you will still think they are jumping on to you too fast.

My favorite romances from Obsidian were KOTORII and Mask of the Betrayer, because they went through the entire game following the plot progression and revealing details about characters, ending up at the game climax. As for example Safiya is a piece of someone's soul, self-absorbed Gann deciding to stay with the MC regardless of the path you choose (even serving Kelemvor in the afterlife), Atton turning darkside if you make wrong choices etc, Handmaiden having a mystery of her origins, Visas being connected to Nihilus, etc.

I think Deadfire suffered not because they jump onto you too fast, but because there is really no mystery about the characters and no changes to their personalities. We pretty much know all about them, so there is very little to discover and very little to talk about. Xoti is probably the only one who can go darkside, but she is still her old righteous self.

I understand its probably a design choice to make the ending as open as possible, since there will be further installments, but I feel it does very much limit how interesting the characters end up, and coupled with the short plot, how much drama they can bring to the table.

romance are actually lock behind missions after 2.1 patch

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This is a minor and clearly optional thing which you can deny instantly, there would be more awkwardness if there were NO romance at all. 

Exactly!

Is not it funny - should any developers add any option to the game that was not there before and completely optional, someone will rage about immediate cutting it off because he personally does not like it, and the thousands that do, do not matter.

• Like 1

I actually found the relationships between companions much more realistic than the companion-watcher relationships. Their little conversations while walking around honestly added more depth to the individuals than the long drawn out romances between the player and the companions. Maia and Xoti's relationships was adorable and seemed more genuine? They also seem to be lengthier than their romances with the Watcher?

• Like 1

[...] After all it’s only natural for people to get closer to each other during shared adventures; in real world a mere mountain expedition can cause a number of romances among the group so we can imagine what would happen after a couple days of fighting pirates, monsters, undead and chasing a literal god. After experiencing death, dealing it and being so close to it people want to feel alive. [...]

...and unlike many cRPGs pretent, most people don't need life changing events or many, many month of bonding for a sexual connection. Three to five days of travelling seems realistic to me (besides, in real life a single evening is often more then enough).

Also, they spend a lot of days alone together at sea. And my watcher is pretty hot.

Edited by TamTiTam
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I like first kind of romantic interaction with Xoti. But the rest of it - meh. I like that Pallegina is unavailable for watcher. It suits to her theme.

There were only few romances in games made by Obsidian which I like. Visas and Handmaiden in KotOR II and Safiya in Mask of Betrayer.

Maybe it's better thaylt Tim and Leonars won't put romances in the Outer Worlds.

giphy.gif