For solo PotD, I’d definitely go for Paladin/chanter over Devoted/chanter. It’s substantially better in the boss fights that last forever, since it’s tougher, and you basically never run out of resources. And none of the non-boss fights will be challenging enough to require a special build to beat...

For solo PotD, I’d definitely go for Paladin/chanter over Devoted/chanter. It’s substantially better in the boss fights that last forever, since it’s tougher, and you basically never run out of resources. And none of the non-boss fights will be challenging enough to require a special build to beat...

Would you duel wield or sword and shield, two-handed? does it matter? I'm so confused...

Would you duel wield or sword and shield, two-handed? does it matter? I'm so confused...

Without sword&shield you won't survive high level bounties or ship battles which are harder than bosses.

Without sword&shield you won't survive high level bounties or ship battles which are harder than bosses.

So in other words take it slow. Okay, thank you for your advice :)

Yeah, as a rule of thumb, sword and shield is the way to go for solo PotD.

(There are certainly exceptions — specific builds constructed around the use of some particular weapon, say — but it’s generally much easier to survive going sword and board.)

Edited by whimper

(There are certainly exceptions — specific builds constructed around the use of some particular weapon, say — but it’s generally much easier to survive going sword and board.)

Aren't there knockdown or stun 2H weapons like in PoE 1 - or are they no longer in the game? Actually, do any weapons have knockdown or stun effects in PoE 2? I did read that "hard" CC was nerfed in PoE 2, so I wonder now...

Aren't there knockdown or stun 2H weapons like in PoE 1 - or are they no longer in the game? Actually, do any weapons have knockdown or stun effects in PoE 2? I did read that "hard" CC was nerfed in PoE 2, so I wonder now...
Right?

Like if they like want us to solo with the new challenges should there be viable character builds that actually can solo the content with somewhat relative ease?

Edited by diamondsforever

Not really, no. It's supposed to be a challenge. If you want to solo with "relative ease", play on Normal or something.

I get that its supposed to be a challenge. But, really pulling mobs to kill one or two at a time, thats so lame. Are you saying we cannot take a ship full of pirates or the first island drake fight (at equal character level) and not win? This is absolutely a balance issue at that point.

Well, knockdown has been nerfed as an effect and it is little more then an interrupt now. There are some weapons which trigger it. Ball and Chain and Rust's Poignard come to mind. The latter even has a special, 10 second, version. In general those effects are quite rare. On the other hand, there are weapons with aoe effects (blunderbuss mortars, Whispers of the Endless Paths greatsword, Wahai Poraga pollaxe, rods with modal), which can deliver special attacks, such as monk's Stunning Blow, Rogue's Blinding and Crippling Strike, Fighter's Knockdown (not on ranged), various DoTs, to multiple enemies.

• Like 1

At this point I'm starting to think you're trolling.

The game is not meant to be played solo. The solo mode was introduced as an optional challenge, the game will never be balanced for it.

Wait! What?

Trolling? Are you kidding? I feel like you are trolling me, the new challenges have solo as an option. How can the devs even offer that without testing to make sure it’s a viable option!?

I recommend The Witcher 3. There you can clear all content solo, easy, because the game was made for solo play. In Deadfire, it's just an optional mode created as a challenge, not an intended way to play the game. And considering that many people finished the game solo, I'd say it's pretty viable.

EDIT: It would be fantastic if they could introduce global scaling relative to the number of party members you have, but I don't see that happening ever.

Edited by Manveru123
  • Like 1

I recommend The Witcher 3. There you can clear all content solo, easy, because the game was made for solo play. In Deadfire, it's just an optional mode created as a challenge, not an intended way to play the game. And considering that many people finished the game solo, I'd say it's pretty viable.

EDIT: It would be fantastic if they could introduce global scaling relative to the number of party members you have, but I don't see that happening ever.

Don’t be rude. Seriously. :( if you have nothing to say constructively, I prefer you say nothing. Edited by diamondsforever

Not really, no. It's supposed to be a challenge. If you want to solo with "relative ease", play on Normal or something.

I get that its supposed to be a challenge. But, really pulling mobs to kill one or two at a time, thats so lame. Are you saying we cannot take a ship full of pirates or the first island drake fight (at equal character level) and not win? This is absolutely a balance issue at that point.

If you go for a tanky enough build you won’t have to pull mobs after level 7 or so (depending on when the build comes together). After that, you can almost always just facetank. So no worries!

• Like 1

Well, knockdown has been nerfed as an effect and it is little more then an interrupt now. There are some weapons which trigger it. Ball and Chain and Rust's Poignard come to mind. The latter even has a special, 10 second, version. In general those effects are quite rare. On the other hand, there are weapons with aoe effects (blunderbuss mortars, Whispers of the Endless Paths greatsword, Wahai Poraga pollaxe, rods with modal), which can deliver special attacks, such as monk's Stunning Blow, Rogue's Blinding and Crippling Strike, Fighter's Knockdown (not on ranged), various DoTs, to multiple enemies.

Thanks; I checked Rust's Poignard, and it's surprising that the devs would put that on a dagger. So I guess there are no longer stun/knockdown builds the way you can do with like a super-high crit Tall Grass Rogue or something now?

So I guess it's all about DPS in terms of winning combat?

Or are the special effects weapons you mention reliable and potent enough to build around the way you could with the Tall Grass Rogue, for instance?

Thanks; I checked Rust's Poignard, and it's surprising that the devs would put that on a dagger. So I guess there are no longer stun/knockdown builds the way you can do with like a super-high crit Tall Grass Rogue or something now?

Or are the special effects weapons you mention reliable and potent enough to build around the way you could with the Tall Grass Rogue, for instance?

Prone is the best cc because it can effect bosses and rust's poignard is the most consistent way to prone a lock a boss if you are wielding scordeo's edge+rusts, at least until they fix unlimited accuracy stacking un scordeo's (which effects both equipped weapons). Don't know if they fixxed it in 2.1.

In general its about surviving when it comes to winning combat (in solo)

in group yeah cc plays little role compared to poe1, its all about fast deeps, moar deeps=better overall party. 

• Like 1

Prone is the best cc because it can effect bosses and rust's poignard is the most consistent way to prone a lock a boss if you are wielding scordeo's edge+rusts, at least until they fix unlimited accuracy stacking un scordeo's (which effects both equipped weapons). Don't know if they fixxed it in 2.1.

In general its about surviving when it comes to winning combat (in solo)

in group yeah cc plays little role compared to poe1, its all about fast deeps, moar deeps=better overall party. 

Scordeo's Edge? I looked it up online, and it doesn't seem to do any knockdown/prone effect?

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Scordeo%27s_Edge

These are not quite rare, ball and chain is 100% to knockdown on crit, and since PoE2 boss doesn’t have very high deflection, it was very easy to knockdown chain them in last patch since no boss immune to knockdown, not sure if it still works now because it seems ball and chain has a fortitude check on knockdown? Still available to rangers anyway because their high acc.

• Like 1

These are not quite rare, ball and chain is 100% to knockdown on crit, and since PoE2 boss doesn’t have very high deflection, it was very easy to knockdown chain them in last patch since no boss immune to knockdown, not sure if it still works now because it seems ball and chain has a fortitude check on knockdown? Still available to rangers anyway because their high acc.

Hmm, looks like Ball and Chain does 100 percent knockdown on upgrade indeed. Does this mean a Flail build is ideal for a CC melee tank build? What other really high CC chance weapons are there? Ball and Chain could be very high chance, assuming I can get crit percent high (and I assume I can do that, unless the crit chance mechanic has changed much since PoE 1).

Hmm, looks like Ball and Chain does 100 percent knockdown on upgrade indeed. Does this mean a Flail build is ideal for a CC melee tank build? What other really high CC chance weapons are there? Ball and Chain could be very high chance, assuming I can get crit percent high (and I assume I can do that, unless the crit chance mechanic has changed much since PoE 1).

Probably Magistrate's Cudgel if you are a cipher/ranger or figher/ranger, it has sweet +10 accuracy and chance to stun on crit. I'm not sure about the chance of stun, probably 30% or 50%, still a good combo with ball&chain. Another choice is single hand ball&chain or use a gun in offhand, thus way u either have higher acc to land CC or faster and don't waste chance to attack with offhand weapon.

• Like 1

Probably Magistrate's Cudgel if you are a cipher/ranger or figher/ranger, it has sweet +10 accuracy and chance to stun on crit. I'm not sure about the chance of stun, probably 30% or 50%, still a good combo with ball&chain. Another choice is single hand ball&chain or use a gun in offhand, thus way u either have higher acc to land CC or faster and don't waste chance to attack with offhand weapon.

Thanks. Someone already mentioned Ball and Chain, and I just looked up Magistrate's Cudgel. But it doesn't seem to benefit Rangers though. Am I reading it wrong?

Keep in mind that I haven't played yet, and I am just researching and reading up...

https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Magistrate%27s_Cudgel

The bosses themselves are pretty straightforward and aren't very hard to beat with any class. What makes the difference is how you deal with multiple enemies (melee+ranged) when you don't have the possibility to split them or to end the combat (with invisibility/running). 

• Like 1

The bosses themselves are pretty straightforward and aren't very hard to beat with any class. What makes the difference is how you deal with multiple enemies (melee+ranged) when you don't have the possibility to split them or to end the combat (with invisibility/running).

True. I think that’s what I’m trying to say when I want to solo every fight. It’s the ship battles and drake fight that seem to trap you into fighting a whole mob.