Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What is the go to PoTD melee solo build now?

• Please log in to reply
230 replies to this topic

baldurs_gate_2

baldurs_gate_2

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 733 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If there are no objections I would like to post a new thread under class builds. Unless someone else has any suggestions they think fit with the builds that should be changed ASAP?

Better to dump resolve and put it in INT, because you want your hobbled / blinded last long. What does the -8 INT ring do?

Bliss: Resistance to Perception, Intelligence, and Resolve afflictions

lol pretty much useless. Don't you get the same with captains banquet and without the -8 int?

Lampros

Lampros

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1245 posts

The only way a Streetfighter would be doing less dps is if you are not both Flanked and Bloodied. This is easy to achieve on solo.

Yeah, I am never Bloodied, as I panic heal instantly at 75 percent (or has the scripts heal). So I guess for my safe style it's not for me.

I can understand that. Just gotta get used to it. For more survivability use Bloody Links armor (it's tough call between it and devil of caroc armor tho), and later Unbending Shield ability (which does not overheal but keeps you alive). With high Resolve and Refreshing Defense you can fight bloodied no problem. I never used a shield.

I don't think Bloody Links' defensive boosts when Bloodied is sufficient enough for me feel safe.

The only way a Streetfighter would be doing less dps is if you are not both Flanked and Bloodied. This is easy to achieve on solo.

Yeah, I am never Bloodied, as I panic heal instantly at 75 percent (or has the scripts heal). So I guess for my safe style it's not for me.

Use

I think there missing few top tier combos for solo melee

(Ascendant,Soulblade)/Paladin - With new Rapier & Animancer Blade
Ranger/Paladin - With latest patch this combination get +20 ACC / +20 Defenses against bosses

I don't think that there exist combination stronger than Ranger/Paladin

I am considering that for Drizzt or Aragorn-type of melee character, but the pet just gets in my way ;)

Edited by Lampros, 26 September 2018 - 08:47 AM.

Lampros

Lampros

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1245 posts

Sigh, sorry. I swear this forum's copy-paste function is the worst I've seen...

diamondsforever

diamondsforever

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 184 posts

I can understand that. Just gotta get used to it. For more survivability use Bloody Links armor (it's tough call between it and devil of caroc armor tho), and later Unbending Shield ability (which does not overheal but keeps you alive). With high Resolve and Refreshing Defense you can fight bloodied no problem. I never used a shield.

I don't think Bloody Links' defensive boosts when Bloodied is sufficient enough for me feel safe.

Use

Ranger/Paladin - With latest patch this combination get +20 ACC / +20 Defenses against bosses

I don't think that there exist combination stronger than Ranger/Paladin

I am considering that for Drizzt or Aragorn-type of melee character, but the pet just gets in my way ;)

I’d love to see this type of build. Melee characters are my jam.

whimper

whimper

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 206 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

If there are no objections I would like to post a new thread under class builds. Unless someone else has any suggestions they think fit with the builds that should be changed ASAP?

Better to dump resolve and put it in INT, because you want your hobbled / blinded last long. What does the -8 INT ring do?
Bliss: Resistance to Perception, Intelligence, and Resolve afflictions
lol pretty much useless. Don't you get the same with captains banquet and without the -8 int?
It's certainly true that the Ring of Mule's Wit is of little use if you've eaten the Captain's Banquet, but that a big opportunity cost. Namely, locking you out of all of the other food benefits you could have.

For example, I like pairing the Ring of Mule's Wit with Shark Soup, which yields +2 Might, +1 PL to everything, and immunity to all physical afflictions, to go along with the ring's resistance to all mental afflictions. It's pretty nice being either resistant or immune to every kind of affliction in the game.

Edited by whimper, 26 September 2018 - 03:24 PM.

diamondsforever

diamondsforever

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 184 posts

How would you build these, how much micro is involved?

Well Ranger/Paladin now can rise it defense/accuracy against 1 enemy type, this mean that you can start each fight with 120+ defenses even without any gear, with shield and cape, you can rise defenses to 150+ and stop all enemies crits

+ Ranger get you +50 passive accuracy - which usually mean 50%+ crit rate
+ Ranger get you summon which can set flanked status 
+ Ranger get you ability to clear all beneficial effects

You don't need any micro, you don't need no-rest rust, you need only prepare yourself for boss battle that all 

Paladin/Ascendant - Work same, but  without +30 acc bonus, you can do no-rest run, just dominate everything and disintegrate bosses ;)

How does one choose enemy type? Is it something that you choose at the start of the game or is it something you choose at the start of the battle?

Haplok

Haplok

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 709 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

You choose enemy race by hitting an enemy with Hunter's Claw. The first enemy you use that on after rest sets the "chosen" race.

It resets on rest.

Odd Hermit

Odd Hermit

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 643 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The paladin/chanter using summons is the weakest version, not the strongest.

Tbf pala/chanter with Eld Nary is not even close to single class chanter with the upgraded Eld Nary.

It is still better than summons tho, since summons lack Pen.

Eld Nary is strong but it has big drawbacks - long cast time, targets fortitude and is rather expensive.

The best solo build for me is the Darcozzi/Skald spamming Thrice Was She Wronged - a rather effective and cheap AoE spell. Deltro's Cage/Black Plate for armor, Sun and Moon with modal to debuff reflex between casts, the medium shield with health regen, ring of greater regeneration, etc... Basically unkillable with endless AoE attacks and able to deal with any encounter without abusing consumables, kiting or splitting enemies right from the beginning.

Why Darcozzi specifically? The flame shield seems rather weak compared to Goldpact's armor bonus.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1223 posts

Tbf pala/chanter with Eld Nary is not even close to single class chanter with the upgraded Eld Nary.

Eld Nary is strong but it has big drawbacks - long cast time, targets fortitude and is rather expensive.

The best solo build for me is the Darcozzi/Skald spamming Thrice Was She Wronged - a rather effective and cheap AoE spell. Deltro's Cage/Black Plate for armor, Sun and Moon with modal to debuff reflex between casts, the medium shield with health regen, ring of greater regeneration, etc... Basically unkillable with endless AoE attacks and able to deal with any encounter without abusing consumables, kiting or splitting enemies right from the beginning.

Why Darcozzi specifically? The flame shield seems rather weak compared to Goldpact's armor bonus.

Because vs multiple enemies the armor bonus will go away very fast. The flame shield however is just free damage and will last the entire fight. My build is already very resilient and the damage shield + eternal devotion help me deal damage to multiple enemies (the lash buff affects Thrice Was She Wronged), while the bonus from Sworn Enemy is very small (basically 2dmg every 3-4s) and only for a single target.

diamondsforever

diamondsforever

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 184 posts

Because vs multiple enemies the armor bonus will go away very fast. The flame shield however is just free damage and will last the entire fight. My build is already very resilient and the damage shield + eternal devotion help me deal damage to multiple enemies (the lash buff affects Thrice Was She Wronged), while the bonus from Sworn Enemy is very small (basically 2dmg every 3-4s) and only for a single target.

Personally I find Goldpact exceptionaly tanky. In most fights, I found that the adds cannot even begin to damage you until they break the gold. Follow that up with sworn rival and you basically have unlimited casts. For me this resulted in full swarms as rivals, and at that point they just start exploding.

Oh this is PoTD solo.
  • whimper likes this

brasilgringo

brasilgringo

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 108 posts

How would you build these, how much micro is involved?

Well Ranger/Paladin now can rise it defense/accuracy against 1 enemy type, this mean that you can start each fight with 120+ defenses even without any gear, with shield and cape, you can rise defenses to 150+ and stop all enemies crits

+ Ranger get you +50 passive accuracy - which usually mean 50%+ crit rate
+ Ranger get you summon which can set flanked status 
+ Ranger get you ability to clear all beneficial effects

You don't need any micro, you don't need no-rest rust, you need only prepare yourself for boss battle that all 

Paladin/Ascendant - Work same, but  without +30 acc bonus, you can do no-rest run, just dominate everything and disintegrate bosses ;)

Is this Ranger/Paladin build still viable?  If yes, I'd love to see a build.  I've never been able to find a Ranger/* build I like.  And I've been looking for a solo POTD buid.

Edited by brasilgringo, 11 December 2018 - 08:33 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Krime