Personally I’d like to avoid any sort of shield with this build, I don’t mind being tanky but weapon and shield style just seems so boring…

Yeah, so about that...   :-

Let me just note that (IMO) you'll probably want to have two weapon sets, one of which is a weapon and shield set-up. The first you can use while trying to get Bloodied, and the second you can switch to once you get Bloodied (so you don't die). 

For the toughest fights, there is (IMO) a pretty much optimal weapon set-up for this kind of build: Animancer's Energy Blade and Bronlar's Phalanx.

The Animancer's Energy Blade does raw damage, and so completely ignores armor. This is huge against crazy bosses who have armor that's off the charts (though it's suboptimal against low armor targets); I found myself doing about x4 more damage with it than with my default weapon. 

And Bronlar's Phalanx is perfect fit for boss fights with a Streetfighter -- it gives an increasing (up to +20) additional deflection bonus as you lose health, and has an enchantment that provides a +1 stacking armor bonus and regeneration if you hit Near Dead (25% health). So switching from a two weapon set up to using Bronlar's Phalanx will increase your deflection by up to +46(!), increase your (already pretty amazing) armor by 1, and give you yet another source of regeneration. 

In my experience, this has an enormous effect on how survivable these uber-boss fights are. With that massive deflection boost, the bosses will often miss (triggering ripostes), and more importantly, will never crit you, and so never get the penetration to go through your armor. That makes a huge difference to how much damage they can inflict on you; to the extent to which exalted endurance, a ring of major regeneration, and Bronlar's Phalanx (when you dip to 25%) provide enough regeneration to almost entirely offset the damage they're doing (with Lay on Hands being something you can still whip out in emergencies).  

TLDR: You'll probably want to have a weapon and shield set-up for the toughest boss fights, and so will want to sink a feat into Weapon and Shield style (even if you don't want to use that set-up all the time). 

Personally I’d like to avoid any sort of shield with this build, I don’t mind being tanky but weapon and shield style just seems so boring…

Yeah, so about that...   :-

Let me just note that (IMO) you'll probably want to have two weapon sets, one of which is a weapon and shield set-up. The first you can use while trying to get Bloodied, and the second you can switch to once you get Bloodied (so you don't die). 

For the toughest fights, there is (IMO) a pretty much optimal weapon set-up for this kind of build: Animancer's Energy Blade and Bronlar's Phalanx.

The Animancer's Energy Blade does raw damage, and so completely ignores armor. This is huge against crazy bosses who have armor that's off the charts (though it's suboptimal against low armor targets); I found myself doing about x4 more damage with it than with my default weapon. 

And Bronlar's Phalanx is perfect fit for boss fights with a Streetfighter -- it gives an increasing (up to +20) additional deflection bonus as you lose health, and has an enchantment that provides a +1 stacking armor bonus and regeneration if you hit Near Dead (25% health). So switching from a two weapon set up to using Bronlar's Phalanx will increase your deflection by up to +46(!), increase your (already pretty amazing) armor by 1, and give you yet another source of regeneration. 

In my experience, this has an enormous effect on how survivable these uber-boss fights are. With that massive deflection boost, the bosses will often miss (triggering ripostes), and more importantly, will never crit you, and so never get the penetration to go through your armor. That makes a huge difference to how much damage they can inflict on you; to the extent to which exalted endurance, a ring of major regeneration, and Bronlar's Phalanx (when you dip to 25%) provide enough regeneration to almost entirely offset the damage they're doing (with Lay on Hands being something you can still whip out in emergencies).  

TLDR: You'll probably want to have a weapon and shield set-up for the toughest boss fights, and so will want to sink a feat into Weapon and Shield style (even if you don't want to use that set-up all the time). 

Makes sense to be honest. I just prefer not to be using a shield in 90% of the encounters.

As far as Might on rogues: it's certainly true that, as dunehunter and Manveru123 note, all the damage boosts you get from rogues make it the case that the extra damage you get from Might doesn't add that much more. So, as a rule of thumb, it's not worth boosting Might with rogues.

But, IMO, this is a special case, for two reasons.

(1) Might also increases all of your sources of healing (Exalted Endurance, Lay on Hands, and (I believe) any sources of regeneration you get through equipment). And boosting that healing by +30% or so can be very useful when tanking through tough fights, and makes you substantially harder to put down.

(2) There aren't any other places where you could put those stats that would do you more good. You've already maxed Perception and Dexterity. You don't need more than a 10 Constitution. And Int will help you by increasing your LoH healing, while Might will increase your LoH healing, and your other kinds of healing, and provide a 30% damage boost on top.

I could see someone arguing for boosting Resolve instead of Might, if you really wanted to go for the "hard to hit" angle. And to be fair, that's not a terrible way to play things. But (a) it's kind of counterproductive with a streetfighter who initially wants to get hit a bit so they can get Bloodied, and (b) it's a bit of a waste carefully boosting your armor as high as you can if you're never going to get hit.

So with this particular set-up, it strikes me as a case of there just not being anywhere else to put those stat points that would do more for you than Might...

Edited by whimper

Lay on Hands is the best heal in the game if you combine high Int with with Dawnstar's blessing. (In a solo game you can have this on permanently by never resting again after you aquire Captain's Banquet, this approach also let's you grab Nature's Resolve permanently which is 10 Acc and 2 Res.

Popping a fully buffed LoH heals for 4 ticks of 60 for the base heal and the robust part heals for 7 ticks (!!!) of 24.(21 secs)

I find this interesting, because while I tried the Robust side of LoH for me it was more important not to be interrupted. My game-maker was Courageous. But then again I was playing an Arcane Knight, so perhaps there is a world of difference in there.

By the way, how exactly do you obtain this 'Nature's Resolve?'... I searched for it, but the only info that got dug up was that it was no longer available after 2.0... Do you mind the extra elaboration?

*diamondsforever

Just some small info--I think the 'end combat' button is called Smoke Veil... you can pretty much finish 1st isle without a fight in about 15 minutes with something like that... not a biggie, but it does shave some hours off from your playthrough. And of course, it doesn't work if you're challenged by Berath xD.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

As far as Might on rogues: it's certainly true that, as dunehunter and Manveru123 note, all the damage boosts you get from rogues make it the case that the extra damage you get from Might doesn't add that much more. So, as a rule of thumb, it's not worth boosting Might with rogues.

(1) Might also increases all of your sources of healing (Exalted Endurance, Lay on Hands, and (I believe) any sources of regeneration you get through equipment). And boosting that healing by +30% or so can be very useful when tanking through tough fights, and makes you substantially harder to put down.

(2) There aren't any other places where you could put those stats that would do you more good. You've already maxed Perception and Dexterity. You don't need more than a 10 Constitution. And Int will help you by increasing your LoH healing, while Might will increase your LoH healing, and your other kinds of healing, and provide a 30% damage boost on top.

I could see someone arguing for boosting Resolve instead of Might, if you really wanted to go for the "hard to hit" angle. And to be fair, that's not a terrible way to play things. But (a) it's kind of counterproductive with a streetfighter who initially wants to get hit a bit so they can get Bloodied, and (b) it's a bit of a waste carefully boosting your armor as high as you can if you're never going to get hit.

So with this particular set-up, it strikes me as a case of there just not being anywhere else to put those stat points that would do more for you than Might...

If you are soloing and not abusing any BDD cheese, high Resolve is very good.

If OP dumps some of the Might and stacks Resolve wouldn’t that make it so she doesn’t have to use a shield?

And, if OP is feeling generous I’d like to see a devoted final version debated as well. Just my 2 cents.

I find this interesting, because while I tried the Robust side of LoH for me it was more important not to be interrupted. My game-maker was Courageous. But then again I was playing an Arcane Knight, so perhaps there is a world of difference in there.

By the way, how exactly do you obtain this 'Nature's Resolve?'... I searched for it, but the only info that got dug up was that it was no longer available after 2.0... Do you mind the extra elaboration?

Since I use minimal rest approach I play with an injury once I don't rest anymore, the injury allows me to wear Rekvu's Fractured Casque and this makes you imune to interrupts.

Natur's Resolve is obtained on Tikawara, there is a location northeast of Tikawara where you talk to a Delemgan/Mpwgra or smth like that.

You get several dialogue options with her, most of them lead to a fight against sporelings, Spores and ofc her.

One dialogue option tho is to ask her if she is in trouble, then you say "It smells amazing" and then you can eat the mushroom.

If you are either cruel or aggressive you won't get that dialogue, that's why many people thought it wasn't available anymore.

(There might be other dispositions preventing this, since some people said they didn't have cruel or aggressive and still didn't get it)

If you are soloing and not abusing any BDD cheese, high Resolve is very good.

If OP dumps some of the Might and stacks Resolve wouldn’t that make it so she doesn’t have to use a shield?

Well, boosting Res from 11 to 18 gets you +7 deflection. Shifting to Bronlar’s Phalanx gives you up to +46 deflection (and a bunch of other defensive benefits as well — a similar boost to reflex, large shield modal for half damage from ranged and reflex targeting attacks, extra armor and regeneration when below 25% health). So I’m pretty confident that just boosting Res isn’t going to be enough for the toughest fights... :(

Of course, that doesn’t mean one couldn’t do both — boost Res instead of Might, and have a shield set-up to switch to when things get tough.

(I’m inclined to think boosting Might is better, for the reasons I gave above, but this is something about which reasonable people could disagree. And it’s certainly the case that both options are (IMO) very strong.)

Hello everyone, I've put together two separate builds that I'd like some feedback on. I think both are viable for solo play. Let me know if this is not the case. Everything is open to discussion, I'd also like to see your own ideas if possible or if we can incorporate them into the builds. Let me know what you all think :)

******************************************************************************************************

BUILD #1 – Please Critique

Class:

Holy Slayer - Goldpact Knights/Streetfighter

Race:

Human

Attributes:

MIG: 18 >> 22 (BB, GoTM, Effigy) >> 23/24 (Gear)

CON: 11 >> 14 (Gear, BB)

DEX: 18 >> 20 (BB) >> 21/22 (Gear)

PER: 18 >> 20 (BB)

INT: 3 >> 5 (BB) >> 1 (Gear)

RES: 10 >> 12 (BB) >> 13/14 (Gear)

Abilities:

Level 1

(GP): Flames of Devotion

(SF): Crippling Strike

Level 2

(GP): Deep Faith

Level 3

(GP): Retribution

Level 4

(GP): Zealous Aura

(SF): Dirty Fighting

Level 5*

(GP) / (SF): Two-Handed Style or Two Weapon Style

Level 6

(GP): Lay on Hands

Level 7

(GP): Sworn Rival

(SF): Riposte

Level 8

(GP): Eternal Devotion

Level 9

(SF): Debilitating Strike

Level 10

(GP): Exalted Endurance

(SF): Persistent Distraction

Level 11

(GP): Divine Purpose

Level 12

(SF): Finishing Blow

Level 13

(GP): Uncanny Luck

(SF): Deep Wounds

Level 14

Level 15

(GP): Inspired Defenses**

Level 16

(GP): Improved Critical

(SF): Slippery Mind

Level 17

(SF): Eliminating Blow

Level 18

(GP): Scion of Flame***

Level 19

(GP): Virtuous Triumph

(SF): Death Blows

Level 20

(GP): Inspired Beacon

* Can defeat the Drake encounter on the first island at this point.

** Does this stack with Gilded Enmity?

*** Not sure this is worth it?

Gears:

Armor: Blackened Plate Armor / Reckless Brigandine

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge

Weapons (OH): Tarn's Respite / Beza's Toothed Blade

or/alt Weapon: Sanguine Great Sword or Whispers of the Endless Paths

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT) or Charm of Bones (+2 INT)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Ring of Mule's Wit (-8 INT)

Ring 2: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES) / Entonia Signet Ring / Voidward

Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG) or Gatecrashers (+1 MIG) or Boltcatchers

Cloak: Nemnok's Cloak / Cape of the Falling Star

Head: Cap of the Laughingstock or/alt Helm of the Falcon

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX) / Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Abraham

Skills:

Athletics: 10

Mechanics: 10

History: MAX

******************************************************************************************************

BUILD #2 – Please Critique

Class:

Crusader - Goldpact Knights/Devoted

Race:

Human

Attributes:

MIG: 14 >> 18 (BB, GoTM, Effigy) >> 19/20 (Gear)

CON: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)

DEX: 16 >> 18 (BB) >> 19/20 (Gear)

PER: 18>> 20 (BB)

INT: 16 >> 18 (BB) >> 19/20 (Gear)

RES: 7 >> 9 (BB) >> 10/11 (Gear)

Abilities:

Level 1

(DV): Disciplined Barrage

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

(DV): Fighter Stances

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

(DV): Disciplined Strikes

Level 8

(DV): Unstoppable

Level 9

Level 10

(DV): Vigorous Defense

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

(DV): Unbending

Level 14

(DV): Conqurerer Stance

Level 15

(DV): Weapon Specialization

Level 16

(DV): Armored Grace

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

(DV): Unbending Trunk

Level 20

(DV): Weapon Mastery

** Does this stack with Gilded Enmity

Gears:

Armor: Blackened Plate Armor / Reckless Brigandine / Devil of Caroc Breastplate / Casita Sameilia's Legacy

Ring 1: Entonia Signet Ring / Voidward

Ring 2: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)

Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG) or Gatecrashers (+1 MIG) or Boltcatchers

Cloak: Nemnok's Cloak / Cape of the Falling Star / Cloak of Greater Deflection

Skills:

Intimidate: MAX if using Casita Sameilia's Legacy

Inspired defense stacks with both Gilded Enmity and Stoic Steel.

The base rule is a talent/passive will stack with actives/consumables, but the latter won't stack with each other.

Most modals count as actives even tho they're technically not active, but it wouldn't be Obsidian if there wasn't inconsistencies here.

Same goes for consumables there is at least one inconsistency with Spirit shield from Nemnok's cloak that stacks as if it was a talent, while spell and potion SS doesn't stack.

Since I use minimal rest approach I play with an injury once I don't rest anymore, the injury allows me to wear Rekvu's Fractured Casque and this makes you imune to interrupts.

Natur's Resolve is obtained on Tikawara, there is a location northeast of Tikawara where you talk to a Delemgan/Mpwgra or smth like that.

You get several dialogue options with her, most of them lead to a fight against sporelings, Spores and ofc her.

One dialogue option tho is to ask her if she is in trouble, then you say "It smells amazing" and then you can eat the mushroom.

If you are either cruel or aggressive you won't get that dialogue, that's why many people thought it wasn't available anymore.

(There might be other dispositions preventing this, since some people said they didn't have cruel or aggressive and still didn't get it)

That makes all the sense... I was playing a Natureling :D.

Thanks, dude. I'll actually try it out now.

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Hello everyone, I've put together two separate builds that I'd like some feedback on. I think both are viable for solo play. Let me know if this is not the case. Everything is open to discussion, I'd also like to see your own ideas if possible or if we can incorporate them into the builds. Let me know what you all think :)

BUILD #1 – Please Critique

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

Abilities:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Level 10

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

Level 14

Level 15

Level 16

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

Level 20

** Does this stack with Gilded Enmity?

Gears:

Skills:

Re the Goldpact/Streetfighter: 

• You might think about fitting Escape in somewhere. I found it immensely useful as a way of teleporting behind waves of bodies to quickly kill the squishy spellcasters in the backlines. 
  • You have Deep Wounds listed twice?
  • You probably want Stoic Steel as one of your lvl 19 picks. It's really good.
  • (And, of course, I'd recommend fitting Weapon and Shield style in there. But if you want to try to make it through the boss fights without sword and board-ing it, go for it! You can always retrain if it doesn't work out.)

Lay on Hands is the best heal in the game if you combine high Int with with Dawnstar's blessing. (In a solo game you can have this on permanently by never resting again after you aquire Captain's Banquet, this approach also let's you grab Nature's Resolve permanently which is 10 Acc and 2 Res.

Popping a fully buffed LoH heals for 4 ticks of 60 for the base heal and the robust part heals for 7 ticks (!!!) of 24.(21 secs)

The main point to this discussion is not even what benefit LoH gets but what absolutely non existent benefit you get from maxing Per + putting points in the most useless attribute Res.

(If you start with 14 Per and have +2 from blessings you can buff up to 21 for hidden objects and losing 4 acc is not a big deal at all)

(Even with 3 base res I always end up with 9-11 due to Berath's blessing, Nature's resolve and a couple item bonuses, not that this is needed it just kinda happens automatically)

For me not maxing Int is almost never a question not even because I ask myself what benefits I get from Int (and for most chars there is plenty) but what meager tradeoff I would get by not maxing it.

As to Sacred Immolation I already mentioned earlier in this thread the best TCS char I have played so far (all upscaled) was a monk/pala (died after beating BoW and most level 20 challenges, my demise was due to a trap and me being to lazy to go back and buy a thief's putty) and pala/monk happens to not only get almost max Int cap (I had 32) due to monk modal, but also happens to only take 2 ticks of SI's raw damage.

I've tried pretty much every pala, fighter and cipher mc in the game and ofc a lot of other mcs and a couple single classes and none performed better than monk pala with max int, crazy thing is SI is not even core to this build (my actual TCS char didn't have it) it's just a bonus you get which happens to work super well with high int.

As to long fights you do benefit less from resources but if you can combine pala with a resource friendly class like chanter, rogue, monk (unlimited tenacious of wounds), cipher who will also benefit from Int it just makes long fights super easy because your buffs will last longer and you will get them back without resources or in case of the rogue some talents like persistent distraction and deathblows are just completely unrelated to resources.

Ok now i know why i don't got NR, because i thought it is permanent, but it goes away when you rest. So you are not allowed to rest at all?

Ok now i know why i don't got NR, because i thought it is permanent, but it goes away when you rest. So you are not allowed to rest at all?

Yes, pretty sure I said it several times now, but I'll repeat one more time:

My personal playstyle is what I call a minimal rest approach, most times I will rest a grand total of 2 times during the entire game.

The first time I rest as early as possible with Hyleas food for + max hp, +10 defenses and +2 skills.

Then my next objective is to get the ingredients for Captain's banquet, one of the best places for this is Dunnage (inn for Adra lobster).

Once I have rested with Captain's banquet I'll go back to starting island for Dawnstars blessing, take a luminous bath, grab a whore boon grab a fire injury on trap island (south west of the archipelago) so I can use Rekvu's helmet and gloves and go to Tikawara for Nature's resolve.

Another bonus you can get is from the witches place, but it can be kinda tough getting there solo because of the swamp, if you don't have high enough athletics you will get a very bad injury, so I mostly go there lategame with plenty of consumables.

(If one doesn't have enough athletics one would have to get rid of the injury after the fight as well with adra potion, which would mean one needs another injury for Rekvus again)

Let me just add that last time I was resting with Hylea's it wasn't stacking with Adra Potion's skills. So instead I do one rest at Wild Mare's Private Dance room, then stack as much skills as possible and open/loot as many items as I can, and generally run pacifists until I start doing bounties at around 13(deadly mod installed, which reduces xp.)

Then I 'respec' into fighting gear which includes food of choice(most often for me it's Crusted Swordfish,) Dawnstar's Blessing, Konstanten's Boon, Luminous Bathhouse, Adra Potion(because I am a scroll maniac), Alchemist Shenanigans from the island(first fight I can skip, because I most often play Nature Godlike,) Red Hand(if applicable--doesn't work for spells, far as I can tell,) and now Nature's Resolve(which is a crazy buff--together with Borrowed instincts it adds +30 accuracy to scrolls so we can enjoy Pull of Eora even more.)

There are certain events in the game, like putting 500 coins in that machine at Arkemyr's Shop that apparently count as resting and remove the buffs. Sneaking in Fort Deadlight with a boat is one of them, too. 

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

Adra potion stacks with Hyleas, since a couple of patches(you might have to save and reload for it to apply) but I never use it with Hyleas unless I absoloutely need it, as I wrote it is used with Captain's banquet.

And yes forced rests are a thing and you have to know what forces a rest and removes bonuse before you try this out in TCS.

Edited by Raven Darkholme

So I've done some minor updates to both the builds, and answered a couple of the users below. I realized that i forgot about the permanent stat increase from the Cauldrons Brew from Outcast's Respite, so I would like some input on where to fit that point into each build.

For Build #1 - if someone could see if we can fit escape in there (it may not be needed but it would be a good option)?

For Build #2 - is it possible to add a couple offensive fighter skills in here or are they even worth it (there are SO many good skills to choose from)? I just don't know what to change, the overall feel is incredibly tanky and I hope somewhat fast at killing but I'm not to certain, so I'd really appreciate some feedback on the abilities. That being said I do feel like I've done a good job here for a devoted character. Lots of active... I think

For both #1 and #2 i was hoping for some general approval on the whole build, including attributes, abilities, and gear choices. I think the skills are pretty set in stone due to the need to open locks, free healing ability and history for cauldrons brew.

OH, also Scion of Flame... yay or nay?

Anyways see below :)

UPDATED BUILD #1 – Please Critique

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

Where should I put the Cauldron Brew from Outcast’s Respite “ Finding the Encoded notes before freeing Tama Watua allows you to and ask for a reward and get the Deciphered notes : It allows to brew in the purple cauldron a potion (depending of the ingredients you have) giving you a permanent +1 to one attribute of your choice.”? ~ I believe it can be achieved by maxing History

Abilities:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Level 10

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

(SF): Weapon and Shield Style

Level 14

Level 15

Level 16

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

(GP): Stoic Steel**

Level 20

** Stacks with Gilded Enmity

Gears:

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge / Animancer's Energy Blade (for Weapon and Shield Style)

or/alt Shield: Bronlar's Phalanx

Skills:

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

Where should I put the Cauldron Brew from Outcast’s Respite “ Finding the Encoded notes before freeing Tama Watua allows you to and ask for a reward and get the Deciphered notes : It allows to brew in the purple cauldron a potion (depending of the ingredients you have) giving you a permanent +1 to one attribute of your choice.”? ~ I believe it can be achieved by maxing History

Abilities:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Level 10

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

Level 14

Level 15

Level 16

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

Level 20

Gears:

Armor: Blackened Plate Armor / Reckless Brigandine / Devil of Caroc Breastplate

Skills:

• You might think about fitting Escape in somewhere. I found it immensely useful as a way of teleporting behind waves of bodies to quickly kill the squishy spellcasters in the backlines.
  • (And, of course, I'd recommend fitting Weapon and Shield style in there. But if you want to try to make it through the boss fights without sword and board-ing it, go for it! You can always retrain if it doesn't work out.)

Not entirely sure how to get escape in there, but I was able to add Weapon and Shield style (by removing the additional Deep Wounds) as well as Stoic Steel (moved Virtuous Triumph by removing Scion of Flame).

The base rule is a talent/passive will stack with actives/consumables, but the latter won't stack with each other.
Most modals count as actives even tho they're technically not active, but it wouldn't be Obsidian if there wasn't inconsistencies here.
Same goes for consumables there is at least one inconsistency with Spirit shield from Nemnok's cloak that stacks as if it was a talent, while spell and potion SS doesn't stack.

Thank you. I've added this to the notes :)

Edited by diamondsforever

So I've done some minor updates to both the builds, and answered a couple of the users below. I realized that i forgot about the permanent stat increase from the Cauldrons Brew from Outcast's Respite, so I would like some input on where to fit that point into each build.

For Build #1 - if someone could see if we can fit escape in there (it may not be needed but it would be a good option)?

For Build #2 - is it possible to add a couple offensive fighter skills in here or are they even worth it (there are SO many good skills to choose from)? I just don't know what to change, the overall feel is incredibly tanky and I hope somewhat fast at killing but I'm not to certain, so I'd really appreciate some feedback on the abilities. That being said I do feel like I've done a good job here for a devoted character. Lots of active... I think

For both #1 and #2 i was hoping for some general approval on the whole build, including attributes, abilities, and gear choices. I think the skills are pretty set in stone due to the need to open locks, free healing ability and history for cauldrons brew.

OH, also Scion of Flame... yay or nay?

Anyways see below :)

UPDATED BUILD #1 – Please Critique

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

Abilities:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Level 10

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

(SF): Weapon and Shield Style

Level 14

Level 15

Level 16

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

(GP): Stoic Steel**

Level 20

Gears:

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge / Animancer's Energy Blade (for Weapon and Shield Style)

or/alt Shield: Bronlar's Phalanx

Skills:

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

Abilities:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Level 10

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

Level 14

Level 15

Level 16

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

Level 20

Gears:

Skills:

Not entirely sure how to get escape in there, but I was able to add Weapon and Shield style (by removing the additional Deep Wounds) as well as Stoic Steel (moved Virtuous Triumph by removing Scion of Flame).

Thank you. I've added this to the notes :)

Level 1

Crippling Strike

Sworn Enemy

Level 2

Deep Faith

Level 3

Lay on Hands

Level 4

Smoke Veil

Flames of Devotion

Level 5

Two Weapon Style

Level 6

Blinding Strike

Level 7

Debillating Strike

Sworn Rival

Level 8

Eternal Devotion

Level 9

Greater Lay on Hands or Hands of Light

Level 10

Zealous Aura

Confounding Blind

Level 11

Dirty Fighting

Level 12

Inspired Path

Level 13

Deep Wounds

Zealous Focus

Level 14

Persistance Distraction

Level 15

Retribution

Level 16

Withering Strike

Virtous Triumph

Level 17

Toxic / Perishing Strike

Level 18

Uncanny Luck

Level 19

Deathblows

Stoic Steel

Level 20

Deep Pockets or Escape

I skilled it nearly that way. Withering Strike and the Upgrade is not really necassary, because it costs 3 guile and i rarely used it, so you can pick something else.

• Like 1

They look great to me... but I never completed my solo run... so take that with a grain of salt.

I like that you’ve allowed for two handed in here. I’m on board with the devoted version.

I was just thinking about the devoted option. I think it may benefit from penetrating strike. Maybe remove weapon mastery and shuffle weapon specialization. Or remove both? Maybe someone else can comment to confirm if that’s correct?

I actually removed Scion of Flame and added charged.

UPDATED BUILD #2

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

Where should I put the Cauldron Brew from Outcast’s Respite “Finding the Encoded notes before freeing Tama Watua allows you to and ask for a reward and get the Deciphered notes: It allows to brew in the purple cauldron a potion (depending of the ingredients you have) giving you a permanent +1 to one attribute of your choice.” ~ I believe it can be achieved by maxing History

Abilities:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Level 10

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

Level 14

Level 15

(DV): Charge

Level 16

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

Level 20

Gears:

Skills:

Level 1

Crippling Strike

Sworn Enemy

Level 2

Deep Faith

Level 3

Lay on Hands

Level 4

Smoke Veil

Flames of Devotion

Level 5

Two Weapon Style

Level 6

Blinding Strike

Level 7

Debillating Strike

Sworn Rival

Level 8

Eternal Devotion

Level 9

Level 10

Zealous Aura

Confounding Blind

Level 11

Dirty Fighting

Level 12

Inspired Path

Level 13

Deep Wounds

Zealous Focus

Level 14

Persistance Distraction

Level 15

Retribution

Level 16

Withering Strike

Virtous Triumph

Level 17

Toxic / Perishing Strike

Level 18

Uncanny Luck

Level 19

Deathblows

Stoic Steel

Level 20

Deep Pockets or Escape

I skilled it nearly that way. Withering Strike and the Upgrade is not really necassary, because it costs 3 guile and i rarely used it, so you can pick something else.

Thanks for posting your ability layout. It seems more rogue-ish than my layout. What type of paladin did you pick for your run? Goldpact gets Sworn Enemy for free at level one :)

I'm going to review to see if i want to change anything in my layout that matches yours. I'm certainly missing things like Greater Lay on Hands and any sort of mobility move. Thats why i'm wondering where escape can go in my current line up.

Edited by diamondsforever

They look great to me... but I never completed my solo run... so take that with a grain of salt.

I like that you’ve allowed for two handed in here. I’m on board with the devoted version.

I was just thinking about the devoted option. I think it may benefit from penetrating strike. Maybe remove weapon mastery and shuffle weapon specialization. Or remove both? Maybe someone else can comment to confirm if that’s correct?

I actually removed Scion of Flame and added charged.

UPDATED BUILD #2

Class:

Race:

Human

Attributes:

Where should I put the Cauldron Brew from Outcast’s Respite “Finding the Encoded notes before freeing Tama Watua allows you to and ask for a reward and get the Deciphered notes: It allows to brew in the purple cauldron a potion (depending of the ingredients you have) giving you a permanent +1 to one attribute of your choice.” ~ I believe it can be achieved by maxing History

Abilities:

Level 1

Level 2

Level 3

Level 4

Level 5*

Level 6

Level 7

Level 8

Level 9

Level 10

Level 11

Level 12

Level 13

Level 14

Level 15

(DV): Charge

Level 16

Level 17

Level 18

Level 19

Level 20

Gears:

Skills:

Level 1

Crippling Strike

Sworn Enemy

Level 2

Deep Faith

Level 3

Lay on Hands

Level 4

Smoke Veil

Flames of Devotion

Level 5

Two Weapon Style

Level 6

Blinding Strike

Level 7

Debillating Strike

Sworn Rival

Level 8

Eternal Devotion

Level 9

Level 10

Zealous Aura

Confounding Blind

Level 11

Dirty Fighting

Level 12

Inspired Path

Level 13

Deep Wounds

Zealous Focus

Level 14

Persistance Distraction

Level 15

Retribution

Level 16

Withering Strike

Virtous Triumph

Level 17

Toxic / Perishing Strike

Level 18

Uncanny Luck

Level 19

Deathblows

Stoic Steel

Level 20

Deep Pockets or Escape

Thanks for posting your ability layout. It seems more rogue-ish than my layout. What type of paladin did you pick for your run? Goldpact gets Sworn Enemy for free at level one :)

I'm going to review to see if i want to change anything in my layout that matches yours. I'm certainly missing things like Greater Lay on Hands and any sort of mobility move. Thats why i'm wondering where escape can go in my current line up.

Goldpact, that's the reason i put it on Level 1, because you get 2 starting talents.

And Paladin has much more party-like talents, than solo, so you can put more rough in it.

A couple other things to consider on ability choices for the Goldpact/Streetfighter. Two rules of thumb I think it's worth keeping in mind:

• One rule of thumb is it's not great to have too many abilities competing for the same resource, because that usually means you won't use more than a couple of them, and the rest will rarely, if ever, get used.
  • Another rule of thumb that bears on a lot of your choices: If you're dumping Int, effects that rely on duration (often, though not always) become a lot less valuable, and so may not be worth it.
Some more specific thoughts:
  • I'd personally switch the order of Flames of Devotion and Lay on Hands, since the latter is a "save your bacon" kind of ability that can really make the first island easier, whereas Flames of Devotion is a mild damage boost that doesn't do that much for you on solo PotD, especially at low levels. (It gets better as a way to burn off extra Zeal from Virtuous Triumph at higher levels.)
  • After one of the recent upgrades, Greater Lay on Hands became worse than Lay on Hands (IMO), because it costs twice as much Zeal. That means GLoH yields less healing per Zeal than LoH. (And the perk of GLoH is especially minor if you're dumping Int, and only get the Robust inspiration for 5 or so seconds -- definitely not worth an extra Zeal!)
  • Eternal Devotion isn't that great if you're dumping Int, IMO, since the added damage effect won't last very long.
  • Crippling Strike is decent because it's a cheap way to boost damage (+2 penetration, +25% damage) if you have left over Guile, and (I believe) it scales nicely with PL. Likewise, attacks which boost raw damage of the attack and don't rely on duration effects (e.g., Finishing Blow) aren't bad. But Rogue attacks that cost a lot of Guile in order to inflict some affliction for X seconds aren't that great for this build, since (again) if you're dumping Int, the affliction they impose won't last very long.
  • For similar reasons, on this build, Debilitating Strike isn't much better than Crippling Strike. So it's not clear it's worth an ability slot (though it's not clearly terrible, either).
  • Likewise, the Beacon abilities are duration effects, and so aren't that great for Int-dumping builds.

So I think you actually have a fair amount of room to fit other things in, if you like. (I'd recommend Escape early on-ish (before level 10), since you encounter a lot of "wizard hiding in back" fights in Neketaka, and Escape is great for those fights.)

Other things to consider which are boring, but probably better for this build than most duration-dependent abilities, are passive boosts: things which add resistance to physical afflictions (say), or Bull's Will, Snake's Reflexes, and Bear's Fortitude, or Practiced Healer (to boost Lay on Hands and Exalted Endurance), etc. None of those passive abilities are great. But they'll add (small) boosts to your character 24/7, unlike many of the duration-dependent abilities which will never get used.

Edited by whimper
  • Like 1