Hey Guys,

What do you think of these starting stats for a Kind Wayfarer/Troubadour:

Mig: 17

Con: 8

Dex: 14

Per: 17

Int: 16

Res: 5

Stats don't include GotM (+1 Mig.), Blood pool (+1 Per) or Berths Blessing (+2 all).

Armor: Devil of Caroc Breastplate

Shield: Cadhu Scalth

Weapons (MAIN): Sasha's Singing Scimitar

Weapons (ALT): Scordeo's Edge

Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm (+1 PER)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)

Ring 2: Entonia Signet Ring

Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG)

Cloak: Cape of the Falling Star or Cloak of Greater Protection

Head: Blackened Plate Helm (+1 PER, +1 INT)

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX)

Pet: ???

My main thought here is that if you're playing solo, you'll probably want to be wearing heavier armor than the DoC. Since you're tanking Resolve, you should expect to get hit a fair amount, and so you'll want some other way to mitigate damage; i.e., a high AR.

So I second mant2si's suggestions above regarding armor, though you might want to go to Crookspur and buy the Patinated Plate at the start (which you can afford given Berath's Blessings money), since it's the only high quality plate you'll have access to for the first chunk of the game.

Along those lines, I'm mildly inclined to think Goldpact is better than Wayfarer here, since Goldpact gives a big boost to armor stacking builds (which you'll probably want to be). But both are good, and if you prefer the flavor of the Wayfarer, then go for it!

Regarding the other items:

• For solo play, Cloak of the Falling Star is much better than the Cape of Greater Protection, so I'd definitely go for that. (And you can buy it early on!)
  • For solo play (IMO) the Fool's Cap is by far the best head-gear for martial builds. It looks silly, but it's so good that nothing else can compete. So if you can stomach the look, I'd go for that. (Also: you can get the Fool's Cap very early on, and you can't get the Blackened Plate Helm until much later.)
  • For pets, the Animancy Cat is probably the best choice if you're planning on summoning a lot, since it gives your summoned creatures a nice boost. Abraham is also nice if you want to lean more heavily on the martial side, since it reduces armor recovery, and gives you little bits of health each time you kill something.
EDIT: You'll also want to think about how you're planning on dealing with interrupts if you're planning on summoning. Option 1 is to not get hit (super high deflection), but that's not how this build goes. Option 2 is to pump Dex so you can get those spells off quickly; this would require boosting Dex a bit more than you do. Option 3 is to use some other gear and or consumables to help here (there's an item that makes you immune to interrupts while you have an injury, though that can be a bit of a pain; things that give you Resolute or Courageous will help; Whiteleaf helps; Potions of Spirit Shield helps, ... and so on).

Anyway, something to think about!

Thank you for the great feedback. I’ll make some adjustments once I get back to my computer (mobile is to hard to format/see for me).

What if I didn’t rank resolve so much, when I look at the gear I’m thinking of using I think I can squeeze out 3 points to bring resolve back to 8. Would DoC be more viable then?

My guess is probably not... :(  

(Or, more fairly: you probably *can* squeak by with lower defenses in a number of ways, especially if you can maneuver your summons to take most/all of the enemies attention. But that's a kind of finicky style of play that can quickly go wrong and require several reloads to get through tougher fights. So it might not be that much fun (depending on what kind of thing you enjoy!). And it's not a great fit with being a frontline DPS-dealer yourself, where you'll be subject to a lot of enemy attacks...)

Edited by whimper

End game I guess we are talking about blackened plate with ushers visage?

Nomad brigadeen also looks promising?

Reckless Brigandine is also pretty nice in solo play (since you get engaged by lots of enemies). 

The only problem with brigandine is the weakness to piercing damage, which can really hurt in fights against enemies with lots or ranger/ranged rogue opponents. I generally end up running with two sets of armor (plate and brigandine) that I switch between depending on what kind of damage my enemies will be doing. 

Hey Guys,

Stats don't include GotM (+1 Mig.), Blood pool (+1 Per) or Berths Blessing (+2 all).

Weapons (MAIN): Sasha's Singing Scimitar

Weapons (ALT): Scordeo's Edge

Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm (+1 PER)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)

Ring 2: Entonia Signet Ring

Head:  Blackened Plate Helm (+1 PER, +1 INT)

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX)

Pet: ???

With shield style, your damage will be underwhelming, even more with this class. So you don't need that much might, your damage comes from the animated weapons you cast. So you even don't need much dex, because if you switch to a plate armor, your recovery speed is so high, your damage goes down even further. And BoC is not good with any chanter class, because it gives only +2 to your paladin, nothing to your chanter, what has infinite ressources. Your main goal is to withstand all damage and let the summons do the work.

Reckless Brigandine is also pretty nice in solo play (since you get engaged by lots of enemies). 

The only problem with brigandine is the weakness to piercing damage, which can really hurt in fights against enemies with lots or ranger/ranged rogue opponents. I generally end up running with two sets of armor (plate and brigandine) that I switch between depending on what kind of damage my enemies will be doing. 

Noted. Thank you :)

Hey Guys,

With shield style, your damage will be underwhelming, even more with this class. So you don't need that much might, your damage comes from the animated weapons you cast. So you even don't need much dex, because if you switch to a plate armor, your recovery speed is so high, your damage goes down even further. And BoC is not good with any chanter class, because it gives only +2 to your paladin, nothing to your chanter, what has infinite ressources. Your main goal is to withstand all damage and let the summons do the work.

What would you do to improve DPS? As of right now this is all theorycrafting anyways :)

The might is for heals over damage.

I hadn't planned on summoned weapons at all, should i?

Heres a rework of the stats and items so far.

Mig: 15 >> 20 (Gear, BB, GoTM)

Con: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)

Dex: 16 >> 20 (Gear, BB)

Per: 16 >> 20 (Gear, BB, Blood Sacrifice)

Int: 16 >> 18 (BB)

Res: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)

+1 Somewhere for Culture...

Armor: Blackened Plate Armor / Reckless Brigandine

Cloak: Cape of the Falling Star

Head:  Cap of the Laughingstock

Pet: Animancy Cat

Edited by diamondsforever

DPS-wise, you have four main ways of damaging your opponents:

1. Weapons
  2. Chants 
  3. Invocations 
  4. Summons

How you allocate your stats will, of course, depend on what means of damage dealing you want to focus on.

Might and Perception increase DPS for 1-3.

Dexterity only directly increases DPS for 1. But it indirectly supports 3 and 4 in a couple ways. It makes you less likely to get interrupted (though if you have another way of stopping interrupts that doesn't matter). And it helps you get off invocations and summons more quickly, which gives you more time to do other things (like attack with your weapons). 

Finally, intelligence indirectly boosts DPS for 2 and 3 by increasing your AOE, and boosts DPS for 2-4 by increasing the duration of chants (linger), invocations or summons. (Though if you're using the quick chant modal, you won't have any linger time.)

As far as which of these you *should* focus on, they each have pros and cons:

• Weapons: Weapon-damage can be decent (especially if you use damage-boosting chants), and Paladins have a couple nice ways of boosting this. But you generally won't be able to do as much weapon damage as, say, a Barbarian or a Rogue. 
  • Chants: Damage-inflicting chants have been weakened relative to PoE1, and are incompatible with defense-boosting chants, so are somewhat less attractive in that respect. But they're area of effect, and so can target many enemies at once, and they're relentless. 
  • Invocations: Invocations can be pretty effective, especially against mobs. But they compete with summons, and can only be cast every 20 seconds or so, so you'll want other things to do in the meantime.
  • Summons: Summons can also be very effective, can stick around for a while, and draw enemy attacks. But they compete with invocations, and can only be case every 20 seconds or so, so you'll want other things to do in the meantime.

IMO, hedging your bets a bit, and giving yourself several means of damaging enemies is not a bad idea. But there are lots of ways to run a chanter, including ones which focus almost entirely on chants (though these tend to be very slow), and ones which focus almost entirely on summons.

Edited by whimper

DPS-wise, you have four main ways of damaging your opponents:

• Weapons
  • Chants
  • Invocations
  • Summons
How you allocate your stats will, of course, depend on what means of damage dealing you want to focus on.

Might and Perception increase DPS for 1-3.

Dexterity only directly increases DPS for 1. But it indirectly supports 3 and 4 in a couple ways. It makes you less likely to get interrupted (though if you have another way of stopping interrupts that doesn't matter). And it helps you get off invocations and summons more quickly, which gives you more time to do other things (like attack with your weapons).

Finally, intelligence indirectly boosts DPS for 2 and 3 by increasing your AOE, and boosts DPS for 2-4 by increasing the duration of chants (linger), invocations or summons. (Though if you're using the quick chant modal, you won't have any linger time.)

As far as which of these you *should* focus on, they each have pros and cons:

• Weapons: Weapon-damage can be decent (especially if you use damage-boosting chants), and Paladins have a couple nice ways of boosting this. But you generally won't be able to do as much weapon damage as, say, a Barbarian or a Rogue.
  • Chants: Damage-inflicting chants have been weakened relative to PoE1, and are incompatible with defense-boosting chants, so are somewhat less attractive in that respect. But they're area of effect, and so can target many enemies at once, and they're relentless.
  • Invocations: Invocations can be pretty effective, especially against mobs. But they compete with summons, and can only be cast every 20 seconds or so, so you'll want other things to do in the meantime.
  • Summons: Summons can also be very effective, can stick around for a while, and draw enemy attacks. But they compete with invocations, and can only be case every 20 seconds or so, so you'll want other things to do in the meantime.
IMO, hedging your bets a bit, and giving yourself several means of damaging enemies is not a bad idea. But there are lots of ways to run a chanter, including ones which focus almost entirely on chants (though these tend to be very slow), and ones which focus almost entirely on summons.

Do you think the stats as they are currently laid out will best support summons and another damage type? If not what should I be focusing on in terms of stats?

It was my understanding that maxing Mig. for healing, And Int. for aoe would work best for this build.

Has anyone mentioned berserker/streetfighter or devoted/streetfighter yet? I’ve read that both are viable to solo all content...

I would not try to solo with a Berserker/Streetfighter.

I'm sure Devoted/Streetfighter can do it.

What about devoted/trickster?

What stats should we focus on for either streetfighter or trickster (if it works)?

Edited by Sire Of The Shadow

Has anyone mentioned berserker/streetfighter or devoted/streetfighter yet? I’ve read that both are viable to solo all content...

I would not try to solo with a Berserker/Streetfighter.

I'm sure Devoted/Streetfighter can do it.

What about devoted/trickster?

What stats should we focus on for either streetfighter or trickster (if it works)?

I’m interested in this too, I feel like max str, dex, per and res are needed?

Sure, Devoted/Trickster should work well. That's a more cautious playstyle then a Streetfighter - but probably safer overall (although sometimes killing enemies fast is the best form of defense). You don't really need to max Strenght with either. Damage will mostly come from rogue damage boosts, a little from fighter specialization and crit bonuses. Some could be nice if you have spare points, as it will improve Constant/Rapid Recovery and Unbending.

Per is important, Dex depends on weapon choice. If you go for duals, I think you can pretty much leave it at base. With a two-hander and a Trickster you'd want more. Streetfighter too, I guess, but a Streetfighter will get huge speed boosts in critical moments, so it's less important. Another important stat is Int, I'm afraid. Fighter active abilities have durations and they are pretty short. You want effects such as Unbending and Intuitive Strikes to last. So something like:

Might: Base-to-Medium

Con: Base-to-Medium

Dex: Duals - Base; Two-handed Streetfighter - Medium; Two-handed Trickster - High

Per: High

Int: High

Res: Now the question whether you plan to Deflection tank or you mostly ignore that stat. On a Trickster you probably want at least Base, maybe even High. A Streetfighter can risk a fast&furious playstyle with Unbending and this stat tanked. 

Sure, Devoted/Trickster should work well. That's a more cautious playstyle then a Streetfighter - but probably safer overall (although sometimes killing enemies fast is the best form of defense). You don't really need to max Strenght with either. Damage will mostly come from rogue damage boosts, a little from fighter specialization and crit bonuses. Some could be nice if you have spare points, as it will improve Constant/Rapid Recovery and Unbending.

Per is important, Dex depends on weapon choice. If you go for duals, I think you can pretty much leave it at base. With a two-hander and a Trickster you'd want more. Streetfighter too, I guess, but a Streetfighter will get huge speed boosts in critical moments, so it's less important. Another important stat is Int, I'm afraid. Fighter active abilities have durations and they are pretty short. You want effects such as Unbending and Intuitive Strikes to last. So something like:

Dex: Duals - Base; Two-handed Streetfighter - Medium; Two-handed Trickster - High

Res: Now the question whether you plan to Deflection tank or you mostly ignore that stat. On a Trickster you probably want at least Base, maybe even High. A Streetfighter can risk a fast&furious playstyle with Unbending and this stat tanked. 

Devoted/Trickster looks fun, I assume that it could kill fairly fast?

How does this look? Any recommendations on gear that I could swap out? or should pick? I've left a lot of alternates in there in hopes of getting more information :)

MIG: 13 >> 16 (BB, GoTM) >> 17/18 (Gear)

CON: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)

DEX: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)

PER: 19 >> 22 (BB, Blood Sacrifice)

INT: 16 >> 18 (BB) >> 19/20 (Gear)

RES: 16 >> 20 (Gear, BB)

+1 PER for Culture? That’s how I got to 19.

Alternatively, I could dump MIG more and pump either CON or RES?

Armor: Reckless Brigandine / Devil of Caroc Breastplate / Casita Sameilia's Legacy

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge

Weapons (OH): Tarn's Respite or Beza's Toothed Blade

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT) or Charm of Bones (+2 INT)

Ring 2: Entonia Signet Ring or Voidward

Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG) or Gatecrashers (+1 MIG) or Boltcatchers

Cloak: Cape of the Falling Star or Cloak of Greater Deflection

Boots: Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Socrates (+20 health per kill) or Abraham (armor recovery)

Skill Focus:

Athletics: 10

Mechanics: 10

History: MAX or

Intimidate: MAX if using Casita Sameilia's Legacy

I think this could work with Devoted/Streetfighter too? I'm more interested in trickster, I feel like its more survivable :)

Edited by diamondsforever
  • Like 1

A quick note on equipment if you’re going Streetfighter:

Equipment which kicks in extra defenses as you get more damaged becomes very attractive, since it’ll allow you to get bloodied more easily (triggering streetfighter bonuses), but will make it progressively harder for enemies to bring you down from bloodied/almost dead to actually dead.

So (early) Bloody Links and (later) Reckless Brigandine look good as your default armor, the Undying Burden is ideal for your belt, Bronlar’s Phalanx is a great shield, and things like the Protective Eothiasian Charm and Nemock’s Cloak are possibilities (though IMO ultimately suboptimal).

In a similar vein, Streetfighter works well with two sets of weapons where the first has either two weapons or a 2H weapon set-up, which you start with, and the second has a weapon and shield which you switch to once you get bloodied. (So you get bloodied quickly, and then can shift to a tanker set-up once you’re there, to stay comfortably in the bloodied/near dead zone.)

Best class combo for BoW fight and most of the game is Monk/Paladin.

Clarity of Agony is really good specifically for BoW, I personally played Nalpazca/Goldpact with lots of healing over time and Armor.

My TCS build didn't have Sacred Immolation but Monk duplicates, then I read here in the forums you can remove SI's raw damage with Clarity of Agony + Lone Wolf ring, now I made an updated build and will post it later today.

(I tried several other op combos and don't think any of them comes even close to monk/Pala, Chanter/Pala feels straight up weak in comparison.

I only play solo potd upscaled, never ever even touched a party in deadfire yet and I tried at least 50% of all possible multiclasses)

Edited by Raven Darkholme

Hey Guys,

What would you do to improve DPS? As of right now this is all theorycrafting anyways :)

Pet: Animancy Cat

Playing a rogue multi class and not a chanter. Without summons and solo, the chanter is not really good in my opinion.

Hey Guys,

Head: Cap of the Laughingstock

Pet: Animancy Cat

Playing a rogue multi class and not a chanter. Without summons and solo, the chanter is not really good in my opinion.

That’s what I was winding about. Another user posted a question abover about Devoted/rogue.

I put together a rough build maybe 2-3 posts above you. What do you think?

The paladin/chanter using summons is the weakest version, not the strongest.

Tbf pala/chanter with Eld Nary is not even close to single class chanter with the upgraded Eld Nary.

It is still better than summons tho, since summons lack Pen.

Hey Guys,

That’s what I was winding about. Another user posted a question abover about Devoted/rogue.

Devoted is good, when you stick to scordeo's and his penetrating strike costs only 1 discipline and is a full attack. But i would go always for nemnok's cloak, because no enemy can burst you down when you wear it and the +armor from spirit shield and ironskin stacks.

Tbf pala/chanter with Eld Nary is not even close to single class chanter with the upgraded Eld Nary.

Eld Nary is strong but it has big drawbacks - long cast time, targets fortitude and is rather expensive.

The best solo build for me is the Darcozzi/Skald spamming Thrice Was She Wronged - a rather effective and cheap AoE spell. Deltro's Cage/Black Plate for armor, Sun and Moon with modal to debuff reflex between casts, the medium shield with health regen, ring of greater regeneration, etc... Basically unkillable with endless AoE attacks and able to deal with any encounter without abusing consumables, kiting or splitting enemies right from the beginning.

• Like 2

Hey Guys,

Devoted is good, when you stick to scordeo's and his penetrating strike costs only 1 discipline and is a full attack. But i would go always for nemnok's cloak, because no enemy can burst you down when you wear it and the +armor from spirit shield and ironskin stacks.

I’m thinking about going trickster over streetfighter, I feel like it should be pretty viable?

Eld Nary is strong but it has big drawbacks - long cast time, targets fortitude and is rather expensive.

The best solo build for me is the Darcozzi/Skald spamming Thrice Was She Wronged - a rather effective and cheap AoE spell. Deltro's Cage/Black Plate for armor, Sun and Moon with modal to debuff reflex between casts, the medium shield with health regen, ring of greater regeneration, etc... Basically unkillable with endless AoE attacks and able to deal with any encounter without abusing consumables, kiting or splitting enemies right from the beginning.

This is exactly what I think a solid melee solo build sounds like. I personally don't want to deal with the cheese of kiting or splitting enemies at all, I don't want to take Svef every encounter.

what race would you choose and what are your starting stats?

Devoted/Trickster looks fun, I assume that it could kill fairly fast?

How does this look? Any recommendations on gear that I could swap out? or should pick? I've left a lot of alternates in there in hopes of getting more information :)

MIG: 13 >> 16 (BB, GoTM) >> 17/18 (Gear)

CON: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)

DEX: 7 >> 10 (Gear, BB)

PER: 19 >> 22 (BB, Blood Sacrifice)

INT: 16 >> 18 (BB) >> 19/20 (Gear)

RES: 16 >> 20 (Gear, BB)

+1 PER for Culture? That’s how I got to 19.

Alternatively, I could dump MIG more and pump either CON or RES?

Armor: Reckless Brigandine / Devil of Caroc Breastplate / Casita Sameilia's Legacy

Weapons (MH): Scordeo's Edge

Weapons (OH): Tarn's Respite or Beza's Toothed Blade

Neck: Strand of Favor (+1 INT) or Charm of Bones (+2 INT)

Ring 2: Entonia Signet Ring or Voidward

Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG) or Gatecrashers (+1 MIG) or Boltcatchers

Cloak: Cape of the Falling Star or Cloak of Greater Deflection

Boots: Boots of the Stone (+1 DEX, +1 RES)

Pet: Socrates (+20 health per kill) or Abraham (armor recovery)

Skill Focus:

Athletics: 10

Mechanics: 10

History: MAX or

Intimidate: MAX if using Casita Sameilia's Legacy

I think this could work with Devoted/Streetfighter too? I'm more interested in trickster, I feel like its more survivable :)

Does anyone know if this works for solo? It looks dope!

IMHO, paladin/chanter, paladin/rouge and paladin/monk are all pretty great for solo PotD runs. But since people are throwing out their favorites, I'll chip in too :)

My favorite build so far is this goldpact/streetfighter build. It's very, very tough -- after the first island, I was able to do every fight of a solo upscaled PotD run without using consumables, pulling mobs, or anything like that.

That's a pretty nifty set up! And a rare build in which Skald might actually be better than Troubador... I'm tempted to try it!

(By the way, did you find going with Skald instead of Troubador to be worth it?) 

Edited by whimper

This is exactly what I think a solid melee solo build sounds like. I personally don't want to deal with the cheese of kiting or splitting enemies at all, I don't want to take Svef every encounter.

what race would you choose and what are your starting stats?

Pale elf with max mig, int and per. Dex is left to 3, while the res/con depends on what you're comfortable with - personally I go with 3 con and max res while using Hylea's bounty to max my defenses and later stack all the bonuses/rest since I don't need resting. Start with flail and medum shield modals (which stay activated all the time) and best armor.

IMHO, paladin/chanter, paladin/rouge and paladin/monk are all pretty great for solo PotD runs. But since people are throwing out their favorites, I'll chip in too :)

My favorite build so far is this goldpact/streetfighter build. It's very, very tough -- after the first island, I was able to do every fight of a solo upscaled PotD run without using consumables, pulling mobs, or anything like that.

That's a pretty nifty set up! And a rare build in which Skald might actually be better than Troubador... I'm tempted to try it!

(By the way, did you find going with Skald instead of Troubador to be worth it?) 

While the skald/troubadour need the same time to gain the resource for a cast, there are some advantages to the skald:

- the starting phrases of the skald will allow him to cast twice as many invocations at the beginning compared to a troubadour

- you can keep 2 chants at the same time (while the troubadour needs brisk recitation to be able to cast fast enough)

- crits with the weapon can add more phrases from time to time allowing more casts.

Edited by Kaylon
  • Like 2