The bosses themselves are pretty straightforward and aren't very hard to beat with any class. What makes the difference is how you deal with multiple enemies (melee+ranged) when you don't have the possibility to split them or to end the combat (with invisibility/running).

Huh, weird. This is pretty much the opposite of my experience. I generally find mob fights doable with a wide range of classes (blanket AOE spells for spellcasters, charge/leap/escape into the backlines to take out the squishies for martials), but the boss fights hard for all but certain kinds of high-endurance builds.

Maybe we’re trying different kinds of builds. (Or there are some good boss-beating tricks I’m not using... : P)

Edited by whimper

The bosses themselves are pretty straightforward and aren't very hard to beat with any class. What makes the difference is how you deal with multiple enemies (melee+ranged) when you don't have the possibility to split them or to end the combat (with invisibility/running). 

So what's the solution with a greater number of mobs with diminished CC capabilities now? Just AoE spam?

So what's the solution with a greater number of mobs with diminished CC capabilities now? Just AoE spam?
This is what I’m wondering about solo play. I really feel like like Wizard is more than capable to solo. Or wizard/multi. But on a melee front, what can take care of the mobs?

My current veteran run is a devoted/helwaker specializing in Estoc for Earger Blade. She killed Eder at the beginning to get his armour and maintain solo status. So far the penetration from devoted and estoc is quite good, eager blade should give even more penitration, plus an aoe, plus mob stance (though I’m thinking conquer might be better overall).

Edited by diamondsforever

Helwalker with two-hander for solo? Oww. Though on Veteran maybe that will pass. Should have went Swashbuckler IMO :p

It’s just a test, for the first 5 levels. I’m about to dmhead into the first cave, I suspect it will pass fairly easily.

If I was going swashbuckler I think savers for sure.

Unfortunately, I’ve already played one...

*** just rebuilt Devoted/Helwaker with sabres for dual wield., applies to both fist and sabers this way.

First cave, SO easy!

Devoted/fighter bonus = +5 pen(disciplined strikes)

Helwaker = +mig, +5dex(swift strikes)

Stats:

STR 19

CON 8

DEX 8

PER 19

INT 8

RES 16

Island Aumaua

The White Winds

This is what I’m wondering about solo play. I really feel like like Wizard is more than capable to solo. Or wizard/multi. But on a melee front, what can take care of the mobs?

I'm not sure I get why there's a particular worry about mobs... I've done four complete solo PotD runs, three of them martial, and none of them had any particular problem with mobs.

But to answer the question: martial characters can take of mobs by using AoE weapons, using AoE class abilities (Carnage and a synergistic weapon are especially good here), or by just being very tanky and killing them one by one (preferably paired with a means of quickly teleporting to the backlines to take out the wizards first). 

(For reference, the three martial builds I've done solo PotD runs with are:

1. A Helwalker/Darcozzi that's a mixture of this build and this build.
  2. This Streetfighter/Goldpact build.
  3. A Berserker/Devoted loosely based on this build.

The first used weapon AoE effects to deal with crowds. The third used Leap to take out the wizards first, and Carnage and Lord Darryn's Voulge to clear out the rest. And the second used Escape to take out the wizards first, and then used armor stacking and high single target DPS to take out the rest one by one.)

Edited by whimper

I'm not sure I get why there's a particular worry about mobs... I've done four complete solo PotD runs, three of them martial, and none of them had any particular problem with mobs.

But to answer the question: martial characters can take of mobs by using AoE weapons, using AoE class abilities (Carnage and a synergistic weapon are especially good here), or by just being very tanky and killing them one by one (preferably paired with a means of quickly teleporting to the backlines to take out the wizards first). 

The first used weapon AoE effects to deal with crowds. The third used Leap to take out the wizards first, and Carnage and Lord Darryn's Voulge to clear out the rest. And the second used Escape to take out the wizards first, and then used armor stacking and high single target DPS to take out the rest one by one.)

I guess the worry is the first 10 or so levels and the first island. Without pulling mobs in certain maps it seems almost impossible near the beginning.

I guess the worry is the first 10 or so levels and the first island. Without pulling mobs in certain maps it seems almost impossible near the beginning.

Ah, I see. Yeah, solo PotD fights are definitely tougher in the early levels (whether you go for a martial build or a caster build).

Since you can sneak past pretty much all of the first island, and then level up to 10+ doing non-violent quests in Neketaka, it's not something you need to worry about unless you want to go out of your way to fight things at low levels.

(But I get that you might want to do that. And if so, more power to you! In that case, some Paladin multiclass is probably the way to go, since they get substantial defensive boosts very early on. (Goldpact/Troubador is probably the easiest option.))

I also get same result, normal fights usually cakewalk and you will have a lot of utilities to win them, but bosses fights is hard, mostly because of their armor and big hp pools, I don't know how Devoted/Berserker can kill BoW dragon, but other 2 builds with Paladin/(Rogue, Monk) is pretty stable and can win such fight

• Like 1

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I also get same result, normal fights usually cakewalk and you will have a lot of utilities to win them, but bosses fights is hard, mostly because of their armor and big hp pools, I don't know how Devoted/Berserker can kill BoW dragon, but other 2 builds with Paladin/(Rogue, Monk) is pretty stable and can win such fight

Yeah, I found the second BoW dragon fight with the Devoted/Berserker to not be too bad if you use the spirits — that godhammer blast does a LOT of damage!

But the initial BoW dragon fight without spirit support was a huge pain for the Devoted/Berserker. I ended up retraining everything just for that fight, focusing entirely on passive abilities that wouldn’t run out, shifting to a sword and board set-up with the Animancer’s Energy Blade (even though I had to eat a -10 accuracy penalty), stacking armor and corrode armor boosting items, and stacking regenerating items/food/drugs (ring of greater regeneration, honey wine hen, whiteleaf). Basically: turning into a poor man’s Paladin! That (and healing consumables) did the trick.

But yeah, it was a huge pain...

Edited by whimper

So I’m definitely on the right track with Chanter/Paladin.

Are my stats correct?

Is it better to go devoted/paladin instead?

I think max str is the way to got for heals.

Max perception so we can hit thing.

The question is what is more useful in the res or dex?

It depends a bit whether you’re aiming for a summon-focused build or a martial-focused build (with intermittent invocations).

Res is only worth investing heavily in if you’re aiming for an amazing deflection score as your primary defense (which Paladin/chanters are well positioned to do if going sword and board, given the further boosts they can get from Divine Grace and chants). Deflection boosts have increasing retirns, so this is really a choice between a max Res and a flat (or even dumped) Res.

Dex is good to help minimize interrupts for spells with long casting times, like summons. Also really good for martial builds, since it’s effectively a damage multiplier with the damage boosts you get from a high perception and might.

So it depends on what style of play you’re aiming for, really.

Edited by whimper
  • Like 1

Are my stats correct?

It depends a bit whether you’re aiming for a summon-focused build or a martial-focused build (with intermittent invocations).

Res is only worth investing heavily in if you’re aiming for an amazing deflection score as your primary defense (which Paladin/chanters are well positioned to do if going sword and board, given the further boosts they can get from Divine Grace and chants). Deflection boosts have increasing retirns, so this is really a choice between a max Res and a flat (or even dumped) Res.

Dex is good to help minimize interrupts for spells with long casting times, like summons. Also really good for martial builds, since it’s effectively a damage multiplier with the damage boosts you get from a high perception and might.

My suggestion for Troubadour/Goldpack, max DEX, RES, MIG, low 7 CON, 10 PER, 9 INT 

Strategy (Start with Empowered Buff + Sasha's Singing Scimitar to return Empower point, switch on Scordeo's Edge + Small Shiled):

- Buff - Int, Dex, Per inspirations - Set to Their Purpose, They All Knew Their Part

- Lower armor (you need upgrade for this chant) - The Shield Cracks

- Summon Ogres to keep flank status - Oh, but knock not on the door of Urdel and Gurdel

Repeat until enemy die, for bosses fight you will need food which increase weapon pen +2 OR potion with same effect

From armor I use Blackened Plate Armor, to make Scordeo's Edge pen any boss armor

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Are my stats correct?

Definitely a more martial build is what I'm wanting to play. Ideally if playing Paladin/Chanter, I see myself summoning ogres then wading into battle with my minions.

One quality of life suggestion regarding perception and solo runs: 

I've found that you can notice pretty much all of the traps in the game with a 16 perception. (And I do mean 16 -- with a 15 you miss a bunch.) So if you're playing solo, it's nice to have at least a 16 perception while in "exploration mode". 

You can get an easy +3 perception early on (pet on first island, amulet on first island, mask from the oathbinder's sanctum), so that brings your initial perception investment down to 13. So, as a rule of thumb, it's nice to start solo runs with at least a 13 perception. 

That said, this is more a quality of life thing than anything else, since you can always rest after getting injured by traps. (And with high enough defenses, you can just run through them, and they'll miss...)

Edited by whimper

I always max perception on every character that will target enemy mobs. I hate missing. I think the only time I would ever take a lower than max perception would be if I was making a buff/heal-bot type character.

Others' mileage may vary.

Edited by Theosupus

Has anyone mentioned berserker/streetfighter or devoted/streetfighter yet? I’ve read that both are viable to solo all content...

I played a Marauder and he is much more squishy than a Holy Slayer and you can not see your health, what is pretty crappy and you have to use nemnok's cloak always. Devoted is devoted to one type of weapon, so i would not recommend it. Bleak Walker or Goldpact with Streetfighter is really good.

Edited by baldurs_gate_2
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

What do you think of these starting stats for a Kind Wayfarer/Troubadour:

Mig: 17

Con: 8

Dex: 14

Per: 17

Int: 16

Res: 5

Stats don't include GotM (+1 Mig.), Blood pool (+1 Per) or Berths Blessing (+2 all).

Armor: Devil of Caroc Breastplate

Shield: Cadhu Scalth

Weapons (MAIN): Sasha's Singing Scimitar

Weapons (ALT): Scordeo's Edge

Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm (+1 PER)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)

Ring 2: Entonia Signet Ring

Hands: Woedica's Strangling Grasp (+2 MIG)

Cloak: Cape of the Falling Star or Cloak of Greater Protection

Head:  Blackened Plate Helm (+1 PER, +1 INT)

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX)

Pet: ???

Hey Guys,

Stats don't include GotM (+1 Mig.), Blood pool (+1 Per) or Berths Blessing (+2 all).

Weapons (MAIN): Sasha's Singing Scimitar

Weapons (ALT): Scordeo's Edge

Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm (+1 PER)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)

Ring 2: Entonia Signet Ring

Head:  Blackened Plate Helm (+1 PER, +1 INT)

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX)

Pet: ???

My main thought here is that if you're playing solo, you'll probably want to be wearing heavier armor than the DoC. Since you're tanking Resolve, you should expect to get hit a fair amount, and so you'll want some other way to mitigate damage; i.e., a high AR.

So I second mant2si's suggestions above regarding armor, though you might want to go to Crookspur and buy the Patinated Plate at the start (which you can afford given Berath's Blessings money), since it's the only high quality plate you'll have access to for the first chunk of the game.

Along those lines, I'm mildly inclined to think Goldpact is better than Wayfarer here, since Goldpact gives a big boost to armor stacking builds (which you'll probably want to be). But both are good, and if you prefer the flavor of the Wayfarer, then go for it!

Regarding the other items:

• For solo play, Cloak of the Falling Star is much better than the Cape of Greater Protection, so I'd definitely go for that. (And you can buy it early on!)
  • For solo play (IMO) the Fool's Cap is by far the best head-gear for martial builds. It looks silly, but it's so good that nothing else can compete. So if you can stomach the look, I'd go for that. (Also: you can get the Fool's Cap very early on, and you can't get the Blackened Plate Helm until much later.)
  • For pets, the Animancy Cat is probably the best choice if you're planning on summoning a lot, since it gives your summoned creatures a nice boost. Abraham is also nice if you want to lean more heavily on the martial side, since it reduces armor recovery, and gives you little bits of health each time you kill something.

EDIT: You'll also want to think about how you're planning on dealing with interrupts if you're planning on summoning, since those take a while to cast. Option 1 is to not get hit (super high deflection), but that's not how this build goes. Option 2 is to pump Dex and cast-time-reducing abilities so you can get those spells off quickly; this would require boosting Dex a bit more than you do. (Reducing *recovery* isn't so important, but reducing casting time is.) Option 3 is to use some other gear and or consumables to help here (there's an item that makes you immune to interrupts while you have an injury, though that can be a bit of a pain; things that give you Resolute or Courageous will help; Whiteleaf helps; Potions of Spirit Shield helps, ... and so on). 

Anyway, something to think about!

Edited by whimper

Hey Guys,

Weapons (MAIN): Sasha's Singing Scimitar

Weapons (ALT): Scordeo's Edge

Neck: Protective Eothasian Charm (+1 PER)

Belt: The Undying Burden (+1 CON)

Ring 1: Solitary Wanderer (+1 RES)

Ring 2: Entonia Signet Ring

Head: Blackened Plate Helm (+1 PER, +1 INT)

Boots: Footprints of Ahu Taka (+2 DEX)

Pet: ???

My main thought here is that if you're playing solo, you'll probably want to be wearing heavier armor than the DoC. Since you're tanking Resolve, you should expect to get hit a fair amount, and so you'll want some other way to mitigate damage; i.e., a high AR.

So I second mant2si's suggestions above regarding armor, though you might want to go to Crookspur and buy the Patinated Plate at the start (which you can afford given Berath's Blessings money), since it's the only high quality plate you'll have access to for the first chunk of the game.

Along those lines, I'm mildly inclined to think Goldpact is better than Wayfarer here, since Goldpact gives a big boost to armor stacking builds (which you'll probably want to be). But both are good, and if you prefer the flavor of the Wayfarer, then go for it!

Regarding the other items:

• For solo play, Cloak of the Falling Star is much better than the Cape of Greater Protection, so I'd definitely go for that. (And you can buy it early on!)
  • For solo play (IMO) the Fool's Cap is by far the best head-gear for martial builds. It looks silly, but it's so good that nothing else can compete. So if you can stomach the look, I'd go for that. (Also: you can get the Fool's Cap very early on, and you can't get the Blackened Plate Helm until much later.)
  • For pets, the Animancy Cat is probably the best choice if you're planning on summoning a lot, since it gives your summoned creatures a nice boost. Abraham is also nice if you want to lean more heavily on the martial side, since it reduces armor recovery, and gives you little bits of health each time you kill something.
EDIT: You'll also want to think about how you're planning on dealing with interrupts if you're planning on summoning. Option 1 is to not get hit (super high deflection), but that's not how this build goes. Option 2 is to pump Dex so you can get those spells off quickly; this would require boosting Dex a bit more than you do. Option 3 is to use some other gear and or consumables to help here (there's an item that makes you immune to interrupts while you have an injury, though that can be a bit of a pain; things that give you Resolute or Courageous will help; Whiteleaf helps; Potions of Spirit Shield helps, ... and so on).

Anyway, something to think about!

Thank you for the great feedback. I’ll make some adjustments once I get back to my computer (mobile is to hard to format/see for me).

What if I didn’t tank resolve so much, when I look at the gear I’m thinking of using I think I can squeeze out 3 points to bring resolve back to 8. Would DoC be more viable then?

Or get rid of dex and pump resolve instead?