Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Melee weapons help

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1097 posts

Getting a bit off topic but the best ranged toon that is not a ranger is a helwalker/streetfighter shadowdancer with blunderbuss+pistol or 2x blunderbuss. 

Best ranged dps that is a none ranger is definitely blunderbuss streetfighter/helwalker shadowdancer - I think you can find that build in the build list. It may be even better than the ranger variant actually. 

Midliner and reach weapon that is not wizard I would alas also go for a monk/x build using instruments of pain to convert any reach weapon or good melee weapon into a reach weapon. But it comes together quite late. Works well with those aoe melee weapons like Wohai, WoTeP etc to use them at a distance. other thjan monk you can use whatever else really like monk/priest, monk/barbarian etc. Or pure monk even if you want to get instruments of pain earlier. 

The helwalker/streetfighter might have the highest burst if you're using full attacks+scrolls and if you like to micro manage your character more than actually fighting. However for steady dps the best ranged weapons are Red Hand/Aamiina's Legacy.

Also I don't see the point of using Wahai Poraga/WotEP at range when their AoE stays always near you. Instruments of pain works only with Citzal's Spirit Lance but it comes very late and isn't really required.

PS. Also I'm not sure if most people are aware, but while Citzal's Spirit Lance does normal single target damage, its AoE damage isn't better than what WotEP does.

• Haplok and Lampros like this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 747 posts

Fighter/rogue is fine, that's a great tank. But Fighter/Paladin is defensive overkill IMO. Particularly for party play. Better do something like a Paladin/Chanter for great utility and support. Or well, something more offensive.

Hmm, ok; how about Paladin/Rogue instead of Fighter/Paladin then? I want both of my front-liners to be able to simultaneously tank and DPS.

Kaylon

Kaylon

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1097 posts

Fighter/rogue is fine, that's a great tank. But Fighter/Paladin is defensive overkill IMO. Particularly for party play. Better do something like a Paladin/Chanter for great utility and support. Or well, something more offensive.

Hmm, ok; how about Paladin/Rogue instead of Fighter/Paladin then? I want both of my front-liners to be able to simultaneously tank and DPS.

Paladin/trickster is a very good offensive tank and can make also good use of the WotEP for AoE damage

Edited by Kaylon, 17 September 2018 - 12:38 PM.

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 747 posts

Paladin/trickster is a very good offensive tank and can make also good use of the BotEP for AoE damage

Ok, then my main will be Paladin/Trickster then.

I am definitely going to start playing tonight - at last ;)

Haplok

Haplok

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Paladin/trickster is a very good offensive tank and can make also good use of the BotEP for AoE damage

I think you meant WotEP :p

Haplok

Haplok

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Getting a bit off topic but the best ranged toon that is not a ranger is a helwalker/streetfighter shadowdancer with blunderbuss+pistol or 2x blunderbuss. 

Best ranged dps that is a none ranger is definitely blunderbuss streetfighter/helwalker shadowdancer - I think you can find that build in the build list. It may be even better than the ranger variant actually. 

Midliner and reach weapon that is not wizard I would alas also go for a monk/x build using instruments of pain to convert any reach weapon or good melee weapon into a reach weapon. But it comes together quite late. Works well with those aoe melee weapons like Wohai, WoTeP etc to use them at a distance. other thjan monk you can use whatever else really like monk/priest, monk/barbarian etc. Or pure monk even if you want to get instruments of pain earlier. 

The helwalker/streetfighter might have the highest burst if you're using full attacks+scrolls and if you like to micro manage your character more than actually fighting. However for steady dps the best ranged weapons are Red Hand/Aamiina's Legacy.

Also I don't see the point of using Wahai Poraga/WotEP at range when their AoE stays always near you. Instruments of pain works only with Citzal's Spirit Lance but it comes very late and isn't really required.

PS. Also I'm not sure if most people are aware, but while Citzal's Spirit Lance does normal single target damage, its AoE damage isn't better than what WotEP does.

Interesting, good to know. Good thing I never got around to playing a wizard martial multi then :p

Edited by Haplok, 17 September 2018 - 12:06 PM.

1TTFFSSE

1TTFFSSE

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 483 posts

You micro less than with a ranger pet  :p

Ai script is really simple once you break it down and commit to blunderbuss since you are streetfighter and use something like scordeo's trophy in the main or off hand. For Aoe use Fire in the Hole+Scordeo's (usually good enough as you want both pistol and blunderbuss modal on). For single target Scordeo's+Xefa's.

Script is as follows:

(Turning Wheel active)

1.) Lightning Strikes

2.)use scroll/ ability of avenging storm (optional)

3. Enduring Dance

4. Thunderous Blows (when attacking high armored targets)

5. Arterial Strike (if target has no bleed effect)

6. Finishing Blow (If target bellow 50% health)

7. Stunning Surge (lowest fortitude or was it reflex?/ target has affliction to fortitude/dex)

It is higher dps naturally by far if you can crit consistently so party support of zealous focus / devotions for the faithfull etc help a lot. ...because then you get into a chain sequence of spamming stunning surge with you aoe mortars/ multihit blunderbusses.

Edited by 1TTFFSSE, 17 September 2018 - 12:17 PM.

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 747 posts

You micro less than with a ranger pet  :p

Ai script is really simple once you break it down and commit to blunderbuss since you are streetfighter and use something like scordeo's trophy in the main or off hand. For Aoe use Fire in the Hole+Scordeo's (usually good enough as you want both pistol and blunderbuss modal on). For single target Scordeo's+Xefa's.

Script is as follows:

(Turning Wheel active)

1.) Lightning Strikes

2.)use scroll/ ability of avenging storm (optional)

3. Enduring Dance

4. Thunderous Blows (when attacking high armored targets)

5. Arterial Strike (if target has no bleed effect)

6. Finishing Blow (If target bellow 50% health)

7. Stunning Surge (lowest fortitude or was it reflex?/ target has affliction to fortitude/dex)

It is higher dps naturally by far if you can crit consistently so party support of zealous focus / devotions for the faithfull etc help a lot. ...because then you get into a chain sequence of spamming stunning surge with you aoe mortars/ multihit blunderbusses.

Hey, so I am actually currently using your Faceless Dancer as my main character.

Two follow-up questions consequently:

1. Can I afford to take a bit off Resolve and put it in either Might or Dexterity, since I will have a Swashbuckler along with him in the front line?

2. I played a bit of the first map, and I am a bit confused by the AI behavior editor thing. I assume I cannot rely on the default one, and instead construct my own customized AI? If yes, what should I prioritize? And will any skills that I do not put in as part of the custom AI not be ever used? I noticed that my Holy Slayer never used any Rogue Trickster spells, and I am wondering if this is just coincidental or whether they will never be used as long as I rely on the default AI.

1TTFFSSE

1TTFFSSE

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 483 posts

Hey, so I am actually currently using your Faceless Dancer as my main character.

1. Can I afford to take a bit off Resolve and put it in either Might or Dexterity, since I will have a Swashbuckler along with him in the front line?

2. I played a bit of the first map, and I am a bit confused by the AI behavior editor thing. I assume I cannot rely on the default one, and instead construct my own customized AI? If yes, what should I prioritize? And will any skills that I do not put in as part of the custom AI not be ever used? I noticed that my Holy Slayer never used any Rogue Trickster spells, and I am wondering if this is just coincidental or whether they will never be used as long as I rely on the default AI.

Sure you don't need that much resolve if you are in a party a flat 10 should be fine actually no more than 14/15, also consider going streetfighter on him or the swashbuckler, one trickster is enough. On a party Paladin, I usually take "inspiring triumph" and "zealous aura".  Weapon of choice if building around riposte is probably Whispers of the Endless in a party setting because Wohai Poraga damages allies. 

Ai: on any character it is a good idea to set up your most used defensives on top of the list order and attacks towards the bottom of the ai list.

For Holy Slayer it is:

1. self health 25% second wind

2. self health bloddied and threatened by multiple enemies -> greater lay on hands self/ 12 sec cd

3. self threatened  or engaging anyone  mirror image 30 sec cd

4. optional self threatened by multiple enemies and health 50%  displaced image 50sec cd

5. Blinding Strike/ Gauging strike best current threat

6. surrounded by multimple enemies -> inspiring beacon

7. Flames of Devotion -> best current threat

some thing like that

Oh yeah and in party setting I actually rarely take blinding strike.gauging strike anymore on rogues as it is not needed and crippling/arterial strike is more efficient dps. and then devastating blow for bloodied targets. 

Edited by 1TTFFSSE, 17 September 2018 - 08:02 PM.

• Lampros likes this

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 747 posts

Sure you don't need that much resolve if you are in a party a flat 10 should be fine actually no more than 14/15, also consider going streetfighter on him or the swashbuckler, one trickster is enough. On a party Paladin, I usually take "inspiring triumph" and "zealous aura".  Weapon of choice if building around riposte is probably Whispers of the Endless in a party setting because Wohai Poraga damages allies. 

Ai: on any character it is a good idea to set up your most used defensives on top of the list order and attacks towards the bottom of the ai list.

For Holy Slayer it is:

1. self health 25% second wind

2. self health bloddied and threatened by multiple enemies -> greater lay on hands self/ 12 sec cd

3. self threatened  or engaging anyone  mirror image 30 sec cd

4. optional self threatened by multiple enemies and health 50%  displaced image 50sec cd

5. Blinding Strike/ Gauging strike best current threat

6. surrounded by multimple enemies -> inspiring beacon

7. Flames of Devotion -> best current threat

some thing like that

Oh yeah and in party setting I actually rarely take blinding strike.gauging strike anymore on rogues as it is not needed and crippling/arterial strike is more efficient dps. and then devastating blow for bloodied targets. 

Thanks so much!

The scripting help is especially useful. On my own, I think it would've taken an eternity to figure out what's going on...

Lampros

Lampros

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 747 posts

By the way, how strong are Devoted Soul sub-class Fighters as pure melee DPS characters? Can they compete with Rogue or Barbarian DPS now?

Haplok

Haplok

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 486 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Pure class? Not so great DPS-wise I guess. But they ARE prime multiclass material. They provide supreme survivability that lets you stand inside a horde of mobs and kick their butts and even nice aoe capabilities (cleaving stance early on, late game also Clear Out). Also pretty great dependability/Accuracy boosts (25% Hit-to-Crit, 50%+30% graze-to-hit). Work very well with something like a Streetfighter who majorly boosts the DPS, wants to be Flanked and/or blooded, but has trouble surviving it.

• Lampros likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users