[Tutorial] How to Upload Mods to the Steam Workshop

This tutorial is mirrored as a Steam guide.

This tutorial will walk you through the process of uploading your mods for Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire to the Steam Workshop.

This tutorial doesn't cover the process of actually creating a mod. For tutorials and information on creating mods, check out this tutorial.

You must be running the game through Steam in order to upload mods to the Steam Workshop.

Uploading a Mod

First, you need to indicate that you are developing the mod you want to upload. Create a file called "devmode.json" in the override folder, if it doesn't exist already.

post-113185-0-44961800-1536709570.png

Open the file in a text editor and paste the following text into it.

{
    "DevMode":
    [

]
}

Now add the folder names of the mod or mods you're working on to the DevMode list. The names should have quotes around them and be separated by commas. For example, if I was developing the modder-background and penguin-sword mods, my devmode.json would look like this:

{
    "DevMode":
    [
        "modder-background",
        "penguin-sword"
    ]
}

By default, the "thumb.png" file in your mod folder will be used as the thumbnail icon in the Workshop. Optionally, if you create an image called "steam-thumb.jpg" in your mod folder, that image will be used instead. The recommended size for "steam-thumb.jpg" is 512x512.

Now launch the game. On the main menu, navigate to the Mod Manager (click Options, then click Mod Manager). Each mod you indicated in DevMode should have a Steam button on its entry.

post-113185-0-71693900-1536709579.png

Click the Steam button for the mod you want to upload. Review the text in the message that appears. If you have not accepted the Steam Workshop Terms of Service, follow the link and review and accept the terms.

If you agree with all the terms, click "Accept". You'll see a few progress bars. Once the mod is finished uploading, the Steam Workshop page for the newly-created mod will open in your browser. Here, you can write a full description for the mod, upload images, and set up other data.

Once you're satisfied with the mod's page, you just need to set it as visible to the public from the Change Visibility dropdown.

post-113185-0-65467000-1536709586.png

Your mod is now available for players to download and play with!

Updating a Mod

If you make changes to your mod after releasing it, you can easily update the Workshop version.

After changing the mod, open the Mod Manager and click the Steam button next to your mod again (your mod will still need to be included in devmode.json). This time, you'll be presented with a window where you can briefly describe what you changed. Enter your description, then click Accept.

post-113185-0-89640300-1536709592.png

Your update will be uploaded to the workshop and be available to players immediately.

devmodejson.png

steammodman.png

steamworkpublic.png

updatemod.png

• Like 4

You must be running the game through Steam in order to upload mods to the Steam Workshop.

Well, got mine thru GOG

I know I'm not the only one of the ModDevs here.

This needs fixing

Been a member of both Steam + Gog for years, didn't know I was limiting my Mod options by chosing GOG

• Like 2

OK Fair warning has been applied

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

Please note that this process is messy so may take a few weeks 

General PSA: If your dropdown only shows "hidden" and "friends only" it's probably because you're considered a Limited User: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

Adding $5 to your Steam wallet might fix it. I'm mystified as to why I'd be considered a limited user since I've definitely spent more than $5 on steam games, but the good thing about steam being a de facto monopoly is that they can do whatever they want for any reason and you can't question them. Guess I'll wallet up on payday and see if that lets me make my mod public

• Like 2

General PSA: If your dropdown only shows "hidden" and "friends only" it's probably because you're considered a Limited User: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3330-IAGK-7663

Adding $5 to your Steam wallet might fix it. I'm mystified as to why I'd be considered a limited user since I've definitely spent more than $5 on steam games, but the good thing about steam being a de facto monopoly is that they can do whatever they want for any reason and you can't question them. Guess I'll wallet up on payday and see if that lets me make my mod public

That's an already know issue about 'Steam needs your wallet'

You've never owned a steam game, you are just renting it. Try to check the contract that you have subscribed with Steam games, it's a shame.

Edited by kilay
  • Like 1

Sooo... devs. I'm serious. Somethimes you make are real great things. But sometimes, i imagine, you aims to make all things as bad as you can.

First: i have a GOG version. So you forcing me to buy Steam-version with all DLC's only for being able to upload my only mod in workshop. That's... interesting way to boost sales, i say.

Second (even if i'll do it): one mod - one file. It'a joke? My translation mod consist of numerous of files for each DLC - how should i manage with it? What were you thinking, when launching this "service"?

Do something with that.

Edited by Phenomenum

I mean obviously the steam workshop would be for games on steam. Maybe you can add POE2 as a non-steam game, launch it through your steam and get around it that way? Though the steam workshop code may only be in the steam version.

Anyway, a mod isn't a file, that was me being dumb, it's the contents of the folder. But you can't open the folder and edit the contents, it's either installed/subscribed or it's not. So you can't have a modular mod like POE2 tweaks pack all in one because people can't choose which bits they want, the bits just have to be separate mods

Edited by house2fly
  • Like 1

I mean obviously the steam workshop would be for games on steam. Maybe you can add POE2 as a non-steam game, launch it through your steam and get around it that way? Though the steam workshop code may only be in the steam version.

Anyway, a mod isn't a file, that was me being dumb, it's the contents of the folder. But you can't open the folder and edit the contents, it's either installed/subscribed or it's not. So you can't have a modular mod like POE2 tweaks pack all in one because people can't choose which bits they want, the bits just have to be separate mods

My mod on Nexus consist of 5 mini-mods (POE II, BoW DLC, + 3 free DLC) and every mod have two versions (with Espinosa Nova Capitulars or without it) = 10 mods in Steam workshop. Crazy.

Hehehe

I'm on GOG but stuck the Steam stuff in anyway to see what happens

Answer - nothing (you get the Steam dialog but it don't do anything)

Edited by peardox
  • Like 1

I'm gonna move the domain to https://perspak.com early Feb but will keep all content

There are reasons behind this move which basically boil down to unifying my release schedule

My friends are welcome to play (I'll set you up your own areas if you desire them)

@Phenomenum Go do the #poll in our Slack!

Trying to get some numbers together then gonna moan properly :)

Same for everyone else in our Slack

• 3 months later...

I tried to upload my mods to Steam today by following this guide, but on the steam page of my mods, there is no title and description, and it says the file size is 0.

Also, I can't seem to upload multiple mods in one session. I have to restart my PoE2 to upload another mod, which also gets the same results as above.

Any advice on what I could have done wrong?

• 2 months later...

I tried to upload my mods to Steam today by following this guide, but on the steam page of my mods, there is no title and description, and it says the file size is 0.

Also, I can't seem to upload multiple mods in one session. I have to restart my PoE2 to upload another mod, which also gets the same results as above.

Any advice on what I could have done wrong?

Having the exact same problem.  :/

Hello, everyone.

Does anybody know how to change bonuses from character stats?

For example:

Now the precision of attack is highly depending on your level but not from the accuracy stat.

Now accuracy calculating as +1 to stat/ +1 to the precision that is pretty useless.

I want to modify it to be  +1 to stat/ +3 to precision to avoid grind to be able to defeat high-level monsters.

I hope I clarified my question ^)

Hello, everyone.

Does anybody know how to change bonuses from character stats?

For example:

Now the precision of attack is highly depending on your level but not from the accuracy stat.

Now accuracy calculating as +1 to stat/ +1 to the precision that is pretty useless.

I want to modify it to be  +1 to stat/ +3 to precision to avoid grind to be able to defeat high-level monsters.

I hope I clarified my question ^)

Open global.gamedatabundle and you can adjust whatever you want in this section:

"AttributeHealthMultiplier": 0.05,

"AttributeDefenseAdjustment": 2,

"AttributeDeflectionAdjustment": 1,

"AttributeAccuracyAdjustment": 1,

"AttributeDamageMultiplier": 0.03,

"AttributeAttackSpeedMultiplier": 0.03,

"AttributeDurationMultiplier": 0.05,

"AttributeIncomingHostileEffectDuationMultiplier": -0.03,

"AttributeTacticalStrideMultiplier": 0.04,

"AttributeAreaMultiplier": 0.1,