Advice on Video Cards

BruceVC

I was  setting up my rig today but  I need a specific plug for my new monitor, I will sort that out tomorrow and hopefully tomorrow it will be complete  :geek:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

You got teh 2080ti?

Yes :)

https://www.wootware.co.za/msi-geforce-rtx-2080-ti-gaming-x-trio-11gb-gddr6-352-bit-pci-e-3-0-desktop-graphics-card.html

I forgot you are graphic card expert, I have just started loading apps and configuring  settings and its very quick 

Can you or others comment on the below

1. What would  be considered very graphic extensive games so I test it 
  2. What can I use for  benchmark settings to run analysis ...maybe generate a report and I will use Performance Monitor if I have to  :biggrin:
Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 1 month later...

I haven't had a good experience with ATi since 15 years ago, so avoid their bs gpu's and go with nVidia. More money cost but better performance with less transistors, better driver support and optimal for gaming.

And yes, I still have my 9800 Pro 256mb agp :p

It's just nVidia seems so much more rounded for today's games.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

Wait, wat?

The 9800 Pro was a monster compared to anything nVidia had. While reversed today, it'd be like comparing Vega 64 and a 2080ti.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Ehh, didn't recognize the avatar at first. Clever bastard.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Hikacking this thread because topical.

My PCU failed and I'm pretty sure my mobo is ****ed too, I was looking at a new build anyways but coming this soon I don't have all the money I want and doubt BF is going to produce discounts to offset that much. My question is should I go for a 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti or whatever amd card to get good performance that won't cost too much? Preferably I'd like to keep it under $400 for the gpu but I can go higher if needed. Im using it mainly for playing indie games and some aaas, but I'm probably going to start video editing as well. Processor advice would be welcome as well, total budget would be under $1.2 k at the very most, preferably under $1k.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So, pardon me but I can't for the life of me figure out how my comment trolling. I simply stated my personal experience with ATi.

Did you guys just not like the fact that I said nVidia was better than newer AMD/ATi cards? Maybe that's why you both are trolling to try make me look like a troll?

Or maybe you guys are like the peeps on Steam who say "Statistics show this, so you're lying, you couldn't have a good experience with X"...

Either way, doesn't change the fact that I still have my 9800 Pro and an X800 for that matter, along with a 21 in Sony trinitron monitor :)

Keep in mind, these are just old pc's for fun now more than anything else. My serious rig is a custom I built with a 1080Ti and my secondary is an Alienware Alpha my wife bought me for my birthday 3 years ago, has a little 860m gtx in there - pretty much equal to a 1050ti I suppose.

Yes, I'm prepared to be told that I'm just "trolling" again, instead of getting a legit answer. Don't worry about it, I wouldn't expect any less lol

(Sorry just really confused and trying to figure out where I went wrong as best as I can or if I was just being tricked.)

Edited by SonicMage117

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

My PCU failed and I'm pretty sure my mobo is ****ed too, I was looking at a new build anyways but coming this soon I don't have all the money I want and doubt BF is going to produce discounts to offset that much. My question is should I go for a 1070ti, 1080, 1080ti or whatever amd card to get good performance that won't cost too much? Preferably I'd like to keep it under $400 for the gpu but I can go higher if needed. Im using it mainly for playing indie games and some aaas, but I'm probably going to start video editing as well. Processor advice would be welcome as well, total budget would be under $1.2 k at the very most, preferably under $1k.

Are you going to salvage anything from the old build (case/ monitor/ HDD/ CPU cooler/ whatever) or will it be entirely new? Video card recommendation would depend a fair bit on the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor it's to be used with as well.

In any case 1080Ti has been discontinued, and is a fair bit over $400 so that's probably off the table.

Are you going to salvage anything from the old build (case/ monitor/ HDD/ CPU cooler/ whatever) or will it be entirely new? Video card recommendation would depend a fair bit on the resolution and refresh rate of the monitor it's to be used with as well.

In any case 1080Ti has been discontinued, and is a fair bit over $400 so that's probably off the table.

No, and I'll probably be getting a new monitor next year.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

OK, given I'm not in the US my price sense may be a bit off.

Graphics wise you'd probably be looking at a 1070Ti or 1080 from nVidia, they're ~5% apart performance wise so there's not much difference. AMD wise you'd be looking at Vega 56 or Vega 64 which are similar performance to 1070Ti and 1080 respectively but use more power- avoid Gigabyte and Asus models if possible. Even the cheaper of those options would be close to $400 though, and a fair few would be above. If you need to get a new monitor and have an idea which one you want also consider the type of adaptive sync which goes with each brand; gsync for nvidia but has a fairly hefty price premium, freesync for AMD does not have a price premium. At that price band 4k/60fps would only be achievable on lower graphics games but they should handle 1440p or 1080 fine. I would not bother considering the new nVidia cards as they're all over $400 and the 2070's RTX abilities are... hmm.

CPU wise Intel has shortages and their top end offerings are well above the price performance curve. They still have the absolute performance crown in single threaded applications but you need a Z motherboard, a decent custom cooler and to pay more for the unlocked processor as well. The 8400 is a good mid range option though, as it will work on cheaper motherboards and has a (awful, but 'free') stock cooler. AMD wise 2700X is a pretty good option if you want to do productivity as it overclocks automatically and comes with a good stock cooler, though any of the Ryzens has their pluses and the 2600 will give most of the 2700X's practical performance at half the cost. Gaming wise the CPU doesn't matter that much for mid range builds anyway since nearly everything will be limited by the graphics performance. Note: there are very few ITX Ryzen motherboards, so if you want to use ITX you'll probably be going Intel.

You'd probably want 16GB of Ram despite the price. For Ryzen fast RAM is a decent benefit due to how the chip works and here at least 3200Mhz RAM is similarly priced to 2400. For Intel there's very little benefit.

Get a SSD of whatever size suits you. You probably won't get much practical benefit going NVMe over SATA, but if the price difference is small NVMe may be worth it. Be aware that 'M2' is just a form factor though, you get slower SATA M2 and faster NVMe M2.

There are simply too many motherboards to talk about too much. For Ryzen a good B450 board- eg Tomahawk, MSI's are best this round but avoid their 3 series- is fine even for a 2700X, if you'd use the features of a X470 or think you may want to upgrade later consider them but they are more pricey. Intel wise if you got an unlocked CPU get a Z board, else whatever has the features you want and has reviewed decently.

Case etc: whatever suits. Cheap cases from no name brands will work, but probably have bad airflow etc, an ATX case is probably best in general as it doesn't limit motherboard options. Get a good PSU, they don't cost too much more and actually deliver the wattage they claim at decent efficiency and reliability. Check out a CPU tier list eg and pick one from tier 1 or 2.

Thanks for the help zor. I'm going with a 2600, Msi B450, 16g ram, 1tb ssd, 1080, 650w psu, and a mid atx. If BF/CM produces good deals, would an 8400 be a good substitute if a decent cooler makes up the rest of the price?

Any decent cooler (Cryorig H7 or even a 212 Evo) would be fine with a 8400 and a lot cooler and quieter, but you can just use the Intel stock one. I doubt there will be too many great deals on Intel as they really do have a bit of a supply crunch. The Wraith Stealth cooler which comes with a 2600 isn't great either to be honest, though it's better than the Intel one.

If you're serious about video editing Newegg has the 8 core gen 1 Ryzen 1700x for less than the 2600, though the 1700x has no stock cooler. The extra cores also won't help with all video editing software.

Thanks for the advice man.