Advice on Video Cards

BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

If money is not a consideration (and you don't need it tomorrow) and using your own links for stores then grab one of the RTX 2080s

https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/video-cards-video-devices/shopby/nvidia/geforce_rtx_2080_ti

https://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Components/buy-nvidia-geforce-gtx-graphics-cards-47.aspx

See this thread for more

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

If money is not a consideration (and you don't need it tomorrow) and using your own links for stores then grab one of the RTX 2080s

https://www.wootware.co.za/computer-hardware/video-cards-video-devices/shopby/nvidia/geforce_rtx_2080_ti

https://www.evetech.co.za/PC-Components/buy-nvidia-geforce-gtx-graphics-cards-47.aspx

See this thread for more

I did see this card, it looks good....Im just not sure I can wait :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

What shady said, if you've got krugerands to blow, and don't care about price/performance value, just buy the most expensive 2080 ti you can find.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

John Milton 

It's AMDs workstation card, not for gaming.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

It's AMDs workstation card, not for gaming.

Thanks, that was the type of commentary I appreciate so I dont waste time on this type of card :) 

John Milton 

What's your screen resolution, and what sort of computer is going to get the new card?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Sup all :dancing:

Vega 64 ROG Strix for 900NZD (600USD*/ 500 Euro) yes or no? Yeah, it has crap memory cooling which is about the most cardinal of cardinal sins for Vega and my Strix 580 sounds like a hairdryer under load even in a sound dampening case, but that price is effectively 50 ameribux equivalent less than it is on Amazon/ Newegg and comes with three** free games. I did plan to buy Vega if it got to roughly MSRP which that is, but that was a year ago. OTOH, a 580 struggles with 34" widescreen on anything demanding and Navi is still a decent time away...

*500USD, -GST, so basically ref Vega MSRP

**Though I suspect two will be steam keys so irrelevant to me.

I dunno, how is that thing going to cope with 3440X1440 at 100fps? Like at all...

In Witcher 3, for instance, my 980ti has trouble maintaining 60fps at that res. What do you play that is demanding?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Yep. Samsung C34F791 3440x1440 100hz.

If you can't wait I would say go for it, although I abhor loud coolers.

Btw how do you like the curve on the monitor. I never had a curved one because it always seemed gimmicky to me and you lose straight lines.

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I can probably tweak the fan curve, sound isn't a massive issue with headphones. 90% of the time it's completely silent and cools passively, if it's above 50 degrees it's pretty much on full revs but as a result it barely scrapes above 60 degrees even when it's being thrashed. I'd assume the Vega version would be similar. It's still quieter than the Intel stock cooler I had up until a year ago though, it's just super jarring when the computer is usually completely silent.

I like the monitor and doubt I could go back now. I thought it was gimmicky too initially but things like straight lines work fine when you're used to it- I'd suspect a non curved ultrawide would have problems there anyway since there's a decent difference in distance to the eye from centre to edge. It did have some teething problems but it's working fine now.

I dunno, how is that thing going to cope with 3440X1440 at 100fps? Like at all...

That's what freesync is for, essentially. Even a 1080Ti will struggle getting 4k/60 on many games, but if you've got adaptive sync the reduced frame rates have a lot less effect. Vega64 is roughly 1080 level performance so a decent amount faster than a 980Ti- if a 980Ti gives 60fps a Vega ought to give around 80. I also hate some of the more demanding gimmick sfx and would turn them off anyway.

I wouldn't try running TW3 on the 580 at that res though except on medium settings. It copes with Kingdom Come Deliverance, just, and actually does pretty well on Mass Effect Andromeda but TWitcher3 has too many gimpworks features baked in to do well on AMD.

Hi All

Thanks for the advice, I am going to wait for the release of the RTX 2080's   below and then I also need to upgrade my MB and Monitor. The RTX will be released in about 1 month in SA  :geek:

https://www.evetech.co.za/components/nvidia-ati-graphics-cards-21.aspx

John Milton 

Reviews are starting to come out. According to Gamers Nexus (review link) the 2080 really isn't worth it for the price, a 1080ti is virtually identical with games and should cost much less.

RTX as anyone can imagine is pure marketing for now considering how many games use it, how much different is graphically and the burden on hardware.

Edited by Daled
  • Like 1

Reviews are starting to come out. According to Gamers Nexus (review link) the 2080 really isn't worth it for the price, a 1080ti is virtually identical with games and should cost much less.

RTX as anyone can imagine is pure marketing for now considering how many games use it, how much different is graphically and the burden on hardware.

Interesting, this is relevant to me personally and any investment in superfluous hardware 

John Milton 

Yeah, for absolute performance money no object it would be 2080Ti, but with at least some consideration given to top end value it would be the 1080Ti. For top end power performance balance a 2nd hand 1080Ti from someone upgrading to rtx would be even better.

2080 non Ti on the other hand... would not touch even if I wouldn't rather dissolve myself slowly in aqua regia to a Celine Dion greatest hits soundtrack than contribute to Jensen's leather jacket fund. 0% conventional performance increase for 25% extra cost plus possible dead end tech that will be superceded by a 7nm model next year is plain poor value. If Bruce does want a 1080Ti though he'd better get in quick, nVidia has stopped shipments to peripheral countries to drive 2080 sales.

• Like 2

The RTX is still the best card moving forward but the reason we recommended it to you because you said money wasn't a consideration. If you want the best value then the new hotness is rarely the best choice and that's especially true in this case.

You right I did suggest money isnt a consideration, what I should have said is " money is not a problem but if I can get very similar overall performance and not pay as much them that is the preferred route "  :biggrin:

In SA  I think we are horribly overcharged, for example the MSI RTX 2080 Ti GAMING X TRIO OC will cost me $1800 in SA

What would you guys pay for this card?

John Milton 

• 2 weeks later...

John Milton 

From just a quick scan at 4pm in the morning, the only thing I'd change would be to a Creative sound card and an aircooler.

Also, don't forget RAM.

• Like 1

The new AMD Polaris 30 cards are rumored to be releasing soon. Nothing earth shattering here, they're just a refreshed 570 and a refreshed 580 with the same exact core counts and higher clock speeds. AMD still has nothing for Team Green in the high end, but these new cards should be good bargains in the $150-$300 mainstream market segment.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Im picking up my new rig tomorrow, its going to be an epic gaming monster and Im super excited  :dancing:  :dancing:

• Like 4

John Milton