The Political Thread - Machiavelli Edition

Gorth

So, now that this whole Supreme court thing is over it might be interesting to point out that Merrick Garland (Obama's appointee for Scalia's seat) and Brett Kavanaugh both served on the DC Circuit of the US Court of Appeals. In 27 of 28 decisions where Kavanaugh wrote for the majority Garland was in concurrence. In 28 of 30 decsions written by Garland Kavanaugh was in concurrence. They were on the same side of 93% of the decisions reached by the Court during their joint tenure. 

So consider that with this whole circus that has enthralled the media and disgusted the people of this country the last few months. Do you see now? This is all just a show. It's Barry Windham and Ric Flair screaming at the camera about how they are going to kick each other's a-ses and then having a beer together at the bar later. It's fake. It's a show. And people are actually fighting about it!

Its-all-a-machine-partner.-Live-free-don

EDIT: It was 27 of 28 not 27 of 38. That was a typo on my part.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

So, now that this whole Supreme court thing is over it might be interesting to point out that Merrick Garland (Obama's appointee for Scalia's seat) and Brett Kavanaugh both served on the DC Circuit of the US Court of Appeals. In 27 of 38 decisions where Kavanaugh wrote for the majority Garland was in concurrence. In 28 of 30 decsions written by Garland Kavanaugh was in concurrence. They were on the same side of 93% of the decisions reached by the Court during their joint tenure. 

So consider that with this whole circus that has enthralled the media and disgusted the people of this country the last few months. Do you see now? This is all just a show. It's Barry Windham and Ric Flair screaming at the camera about how they are going to kick each other's a-ses and then having a beer together at the bar later. It's fake. It's a show. And people are actually fighting about it!

What were those decisions though? Not every decision is going to be a straight up 4-5 split. I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering what the context of the decisions were.

Currently trying to look them up though.

Edited by smjjames
  • Like 2

The story is in the Washington Times yesterday. They did not list all the cases. Or any of them for that matter. On that note you do realize the most common SCOTUS decision breakdown is 9-0 right? 5-4 is only the third most common. The court has heard some 14k cases since it was created in it's current form in the 1780's. Less than 100 of those were considered "landmark" that left the law of the land significantly different than before. This is not something that occurs often. Maybe once or twice in the tenure of any one judge. At most. Of  those only a handful actually overturned a previous precedent. Stare Decisis is a big deal to them. There is far less danger of things like Roe being overturned than you would think. Like I said, to even get it to the high court you have to get it past a series of lower courts and two appellate courts who are bound to the precedent Roe set. The only way to do it is to argue some point that has not been brought up yet. What else is there?

The one decision I look at is DC vs Heller. The gun control decision that reinforced the idea that while restrictions are permitted prohibition is unconstitutional. That overturned a decision form the 1930's that defined the 2nd Amend as NOT an individual right. But at that time in the context of that case prohibition of ownership was not the issue. In Heller it was. It took 70 years and a different circumstance to change a previous precedent. 

The so called Chevron Deference is another example. IMO the court absolutely abdicated it's responsibility with that idea. Deciding that unelected government agencies were above the law is horrifying. And it's one more little nudge from going in the trash can where it belongs. But it's taken 40 years to do it. 

The point is, don't expect big things from the Court. They don't like doing big things. Some have. Most have not. For the most part they prefer to leave the job of making law to the legislature where it belongs. 

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The story is in the Washington Times yesterday. They did not list all the cases. Or any of them for that matter. On that note you do realize the most common SCOTUS decision breakdown is 9-0 right? 5-4 is only the third most common.

That was my point, 5-4 decisions aren't actually all that common and only seem common because of controversial or polarized cases which grab the publics attention rather than the mundane stuff. As shadysands said, said controversial, polarized, or otherwise hot-button issues tend to be what politicians fight over for the nominee.

Didn't end up happening that way.

In the end the people can over rule the court. Change the constitution. The states can even ignore the government. Many states are doing that now over pot, immigration, etc. I think that is great. And in the very end the individual can resist. Take gun control for example. If prohibition and confiscation ever become a thing the day they come for mine I will die. And as God as my witness I will kill as many of "them" that come as I can. Nothing is ever final in the US. It's one of the beauties of this system. If Roe is overturned abortion will still be legal the following day. It will be up to each state to determine what happens next. I think you'll see few state legislatures will have any stomach for that fight. Most will draft bills doomed to fail. Some states will make it legal by their legislative act. Most will ultimately do nothing I think. 

Thomas Sowell

So Ford is unable to live at home for a while now because of numerous death treaths. I'm sure a lot of the other people who were courageous enough to speak up have similar issues at the moment. (https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/410340-christine-blasey-ford-still-unable-to-live-at-home-due-to-death-threats)

Or as the Sharp_one would put it, getting the attention they sought.

Edited by Thingolfin
  • Like 1

Apparently CNN, Fox, & MSNBC are all wrong. The US is not on the brink of civil war:

http://theweek.com/articles/798002/think-another-civil-war-imminent-twitter

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/10/country-not-on-brink-of-civil-war-alexander-hamilton/

Dammit! What am I supposed to do with all this then???

s-l1600.jpg

Thomas Sowell

Hope the stripper doesn't notice?

• Like 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Genius!

Thomas Sowell

So Ford is unable to live at home for a while now because of numerous death treaths. I'm sure a lot of the other people who were courageous enough to speak up have similar issues at the moment. (https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/410340-christine-blasey-ford-still-unable-to-live-at-home-due-to-death-threats)

Or as the Sharp_one would put it, getting the attention they sought.

Fake news. And even if it is true she deserves it. #MAGA

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

*stares at sharp_one*

*thinks of doing a sharp retort at him*

*decides not to*

Anyways, US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley has resigned, no reason given or known yet, quite literally breaking news. https://www.axios.com/donald-trump-nikki-haley-resignation-d25b64a9-264e-483a-a79b-ae8a48e367db.html

Trump and Haley are also going to make an announcement in the Oval Office in about 10 min.

Maybe Bolton has been bothering Haley.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, Taylor Swift expressed and opinion and the Washington Post dedicated not one, not two, but THREE stories to it. What happened to that newspaper? It's always been left wing. I can accept that. But the predictable opinion of one pop star expressed in predictable fashion is not worth even a single line of finite page space. What are the the f-----g NY Post now?

And all the people who for some reason got angry at her, what the hell is wrong with you? First of all what do you even care what she thinks? She is an expert on nothing except writing songs and dumping guys. Second of all she is a celebrity. They are almost all left wingers. They don't know any better. 

Oh and now Nikki Haley is stepping down. The average turnover rate of Executive, Cabinet, & WH Staff is 35% in the first two years, 57% after (according to the NY Times today). Trump is ahead of the curve but not by a whole lot. There is likely no hay to be made in this story. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

So, Taylor Swift expressed and opinion and the Washington Post dedicated not one, not two, but THREE stories to it. What happened to that newspaper? It's always been left wing. I can accept that. But the predictable opinion of one pop star expressed in predictable fashion is not worth even a single line of finite page space. What are the the f-----g NY Post now?

And all the people who for some reason got angry at her, what the hell is wrong with you? First of all what do you even care what she thinks? She is an expert on nothing except writing songs and dumping guys. Second of all she is a celebrity. They are almost all left wingers. They don't know any better.

I dunno, why are folks mad at/in love with Kanye West for wearing a hat? It's almost as if media exists to chase sensation and celebrity gossip sells clicks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Taylor Swift is known for her country songs though, so, her political leanings may be more independent rather than either party. Not that I personally care anyway.

As for Nikki Haley, it appears that she resigned because she did her two years and she is resigning at the end of the year. Trump has also said that Haley had told him about six months ago that she was thinking of taking a break. Why he didn't have Pompeo and Bolton be in the loop, I don't know, but it's certainly in character.

And yeah, theres probably no hay to be made out of it, but any resignation is noteable and this one seems to have been out of the blue for everybody except Trump and Haley. Though it's possible Trump was surprised as to the exact timing.

Edited by smjjames

Well, everyone has to find something to be outraged over, even if they shatter their glass house while doing so. Blame Twitter, I say.

So if you are 13 years old or over in the city of Chesapeake and the police catch you going trick-or-treating you are looking at six months in jail and a fine of up to $100,000 $100. If you are any age and caught doing it after 8 PM you get the same. There is our heroes in the government protecting us from children in costumes wanting candy. 

https://hrscene.com/community/local-trick-or-treat-times-laws-and-guidelines/

Corrected. Thanks Sharpie. It wasn't an intentional exaggeration, it was the tiny font on my iPhone screen than made me mis-read it. 

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell