Could a Zealot be any fun? Wael/Streetfighter or maybe Skaen/Trickster?

Hey guys, 

So, I've had a few ideas kicking around in my head for a pro-Vallian or perhaps Pro-Rauatai Watcher who serves as a government agent who, after finally being able to touch base with his or her homeland after five years, begins working to secure company interests in the Deadfire, putting their skills in espionage, subterfuge, sabotage, and assassination to use. 

I've brainstormed a bunch of different ideas for this sort of character, but one of the class combinations I was thinking about was a Zealot - Priest/Rogue who would serve as a tanky MC who can raise his own Deflection, debilitate enemy Accuracy, and do solid damage. I was inspired by the "Let's Learn with Umezawa" build, which uses a Wael/Streetfighter combination, but I think the concept could work well with a Magran/Trickster, Rymrgand/Trickster, or Skaen/Trickster as well. That said, the type of character I'm playing would align himself most with Wael's teachings, uncovering enemy secrets while safeguarding his nation's own. 

I'm wondering about the synergy of this sort of build, and how it would perform. I'm not worried about solo capability, but I also want something that can deal a respectable amount of damage. When playing a mixed martial/spellcaster class, there's also the concern about casting spells in combat, with their long cast times versus attack/recovery from weapon attacks, so that's a worry as well. I'm also thinking of taking a look at the Wael Priest's domain spells and seeing about adjusting some of them - namely, Iconic Projection and Confusion. 

Other builds I've considered for this theme are Arcane Knight, Holy Slayer, and Inquisitor (Though none of the Paladin orders really fit the character all that well, and those that might, like Darcozzi and Brotherhood of Five Suns, both have garbage bonuses), as well as Psyblade (Though Fighter is a little too unsubtle for the type of character I'm wanting to evoke). There's also Transcendent (Nalpazca/Ascendant) for a ranged damage dealer that sacrifices survivability for raw damage.

Zealot is cool, but lack of penetration bonuses, you can check this build https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103215-class-build-the-undying-zealot/, the best what you can get from martial/caster mix is class with base penetration bonuses (Barbarian/Helwalker) and DoT spells, you cast long duration spell and start fight, then repeat spell.

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

The best what you can get fro martial caster which will fit your theme is Transcendent. Transcendent can tank, can land DoT's has passive int bonuses and good actions speed bonuses

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Blade turning is not enough? The only thing u need to worry is firearm focus fire.

Isn't Blade Turning kind of not in a great place right now, though? 

I actually sent someone a fairly large description of the character in a PM. I'll include it here. 

"To describe the character as he appears elsewhere, he's an intelligence and counter-terrorist agent who's dedicated to gathering information on, undermining, and assassinating key threats to his nation's security; whether that be a kingdom or a country in the modern age. That said, he's not completely dispassionate - in fact, he's quite charming when you're not on his bad side. He has an interest in ancient history and modern day science and research. 

In one canon, he's a Mesmer - that is, a spellcaster that uses illusion magic to disorient and devastate his foes and he follows that setting's goddess of illusions (Like Wael, but with less tentacles and mouths and eyes). While illusion magic isn't prevalent in every universe where i play him, he tends to be pretty slippery in combat, favoring the indirect approach which leaves him with the largest number of escape options open, rather than charging in blindly. He's competent, across mediums, with swords (Hand-and-a-half swords), rapiers, and various types of firearms and prefers lighter armor."

So, basically... How best do I evoke that? 

Blade turning is not enough? The only thing u need to worry is firearm focus fire.

But if you want to keep Blade Turning up, you can't use any other abilities. A tank who is just a brick is useless.

That why Priest/Monk can give you even more fun, 25s for Blade Turning is not a joke, in enemies groups with more than 2 barbarians you can do a lot of passive damage

• Like 1

But if you want to keep Blade Turning up, you can't use any other abilities. A tank who is just a brick is useless.

What else do u need to use when u can sit there see enemies kill themselves? Nothing. And even without 25s blade turning, a high DEX, INT blade turning usually last 5~6 sec and recovery is like 2 sec, you still have enough time to use another ability in between.

And what if they don't attack you? Or what if you fight against casters? And are you sure you can generate enough Wounds to keep the ability up all the time, because you don't really get hit when it's up? This is only situationaly good.

That why Monk/Priest build have BDD spell and AOE nuke, you cast BDD, Blade Turning and Salvation of Time and follow this with Storm of Holy Fire, because of AOE damage and for example robe you will take all aggro on yourself and enjoy unlimited wounds, the biggest drawback is Arcane Dumper

And what if they don't attack you? Or what if you fight against casters? And are you sure you can generate enough Wounds to keep the ability up all the time, because you don't really get hit when it's up? This is only situationaly good.

Thus there are an ability called dance of death, combo this with Nalpaza and u will generate wounds very fast.

Ah, ok... 

If it's a party, then you don't really have much to worry about. Still, I don't really like priest and druid because almost all of their skills come with a recovery time after use. From what I can understand, you don't like that?

In comparison, and because you mentioned it, any combination between rogue, wizard and a paladin has the options of going almost no recovery after their skills and/or stun lock a target with skills that have low recovery. Spells that nuke will have recovery, but those will deal a lot of damage, and some even add status effects, so if you're going down the rogue route you will love deathblows.

Personally, I really, really like Arcane Knight. Apparently it is branded as an op combination, though.  

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png