Potion of Resinous Skin and (possible) Drunken Master issue

MoronicCinamun

Question

Playing on Steam, on PC.

No permadeath, no pass-and-play, doing normal story mode.

The first issue I've noticed is the potion of resinous skin, which states it reduces combat damage by 4, doesn't work. I'm using it with Sajan as a drunk master, with the power feat (Bring me another!) that makes a check to recharge it. So far in 2 situations, Sajan was dealt combat damage (as far as I can tell, the most recent time it was by a Zombie Minion which unless I'm bad at reading doesn't say is doing a non-combat damage type like poison), yet the potion of Resinous skin didn't even have the option to banish it, it was just a discard like a regular card. I've so far used health potions and I believe a few of the "banish to pass a check" types with my Drunken Master Senjen, without issue.

I can't confirm for certain if Sajan's drunken master interactions are the cause of this resinous issue, I've never bothered to give the potion to anyone else. But since his abilities work with other potions going through the motions of banish>check to recharge but this one simply denies me the ability to banish it, I have doubts.

The other thing is a possible bug with Sajan's other key drunken master trait, Still Thirsty; it says it gives +6 on checks to acquire a boon with the liquid trait, but it also applies the bonus to the check to recharge with his aforementioned ability. Thus, he uses a potion, then makes a DC 6 check with a +6 bonus, so he 100% of the time recharges his potions. This might be the intended consequence and the wording on Still Thirsty is wrong (should include the word recharge in there), or it's some kind of bug. (in fact, I"m not sure if I've ever actually had him with a check to acquire a potion yet, so I've yet to see if it even works there).

1 answer to this question

Have you possibly played an item on the combat check against Zombie Minion? For example, the Amulet of Flaming Fists? If so, then it works as intended, because you may not play more than one card of any type during each step of the encounter. That is, When Encountered, Evade, Before you act, Check to defeat + possible damage from a failed check, After you act, Ending the encounter. You probably used an item, so you may not use another item in this step.

Similarly, if you use an armor to help you with Dex-based combat and you fail, you won't be able to use it or any other armor to reduce damage.

Regarding the bonus - I don't think it should be added to the Recharge check, but unfortunately there is a lot of exactly the same bonuses. Ezren's Spell Collector is added to his recharge checks, Kyra's Divine Collector as well, and probably every other bonus-to-acquire feat is affected as well.

However, with this bug, a Drunken Master looks very interesting with the treasure chest potions...

Edited by Jenceslav