God Challenges Feedback!

There will be a 12th challenge, but it is not known what it’ll be: https://jesawyer.tumblr.com/post/181174749701/does-the-studio-has-further-plans-on-pilars-of/amp

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The twelfth Magran's Fire: Engwithan's Challenge;

• It is necessary to complete the game and all DLCs in patch 4.0, ignoring errors and crashes. Access to the technical support on Obsidian forum is disabled.
  • Sometimes errors will be generated randomly in the content in which they are not present now.
  • Like 1

Rymyrgand's Challenge with Insidious' mod that adds the "prepared food" wrinkle from Woedica's Challenge feels like a whole new game. So far (up to about Hasongo), resource management, both personal and in the ship, actually feels meaningful and there's a lot more tension in lengthier crawls. Technically, you can backtrack to find some prepared meals if you're really beaten up, but even that has the cost of probably spoiling some of your food, so you can't really do it willy-nilly.

I will say that even with prepared food modded to last a day longer, it does feel rather punishing how quickly it expires. Maybe I just have to do more planning ahead with ingredients, but finding prepared meals as loot is frustrating because it'll often just go to waste.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter

Rymyrgand's Challenge with Insidious' mod that adds the "prepared food" wrinkle from Woedica's Challenge feels like a whole new game. So far (up to about Hasongo), resource management, both personal and in the ship, actually feels meaningful and there's a lot more tension in lengthier crawls. Technically, you can backtrack to find some prepared meals if you're really beaten up, but even that has the cost of probably spoiling some of your food, so you can't really do it willy-nilly.

I will say that even with prepared food modded to last a day longer, it does feel rather punishing how quickly it expires. Maybe I just have to do more planning ahead with ingredients, but finding prepared meals as loot is often frustrating because it'll often just go to waste.

The incentives get a bit weird with rymyrgand's challenge. food doesn't seem to start rotting until it hits your inventory, so i might just leave food where i find it until i need it.

• Like 1

The incentives get a bit weird with rymyrgand's challenge. food doesn't seem to start rotting until it hits your inventory, so i might just leave food where i find it until i need it.

give us the apparently ubiquitous refrigerated crates scattered around the archipelago

I also started leaving food in crates for later but found I basically never returned to them anyway.

Something I forgot to add is buying meals seems largely pointless apart from feeding your crew or if you want a specific rest bonus because they a) probably will expire before you need to use them to heal Injuries and b) if you're in a place where you can buy a meal, you can probably rest at a tavern instead.

Edited by Lamppost in Winter

For those interested about the possible last challenge. Yesterday short lived turn based mode patch, that probably was not meant to go live, showed something called "The Ultimate"

It activates every single challenge, triple crown and solo. It also require you to do every encounter in the game.

You may also ask how does the Magran challenge work on turn based, you have a very limited amount of time to do your move and attack. The starting boat fight took forever and I missed a couple of my turns but probably because it was not yet well implemented, no UI indication like circling the character who's turn it is except the camera moving where the action is. You had to look at the initiative/turn table and pray you don't miss your turn or that it doesn't become bugged an no longer displaying the current turn order. It takes time to get used to and you character could get stuck between other characters and loose it's move points and action point.

Certain abilities took two turns like Summoning a Furry Ward for example.

You could slow down the time in turn based, so to have a bit more time to do you actions, but your character would also be very slow thus to put someone in flanking position was more difficult than needed.

Edited by Bronsteijn
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What do i have to do with spoiled food? Can i throw this out or use it for something? Im asking because im getting more and more of this stuff and it's stinks. A cannot do anything else. I can use food only when im resting, during camp.

What do i have to do with spoiled food? Can i throw this out or use it for something? Im asking because im getting more and more of this stuff and it's stinks. A cannot do anything else. I can use food only when im resting, during camp.

you can sell a gigantic stack of it to a vendor for 0 gold. in the initial version of rymrgand's challenge, the spoiled food itself used to decay and disappear, but now it doesn't do that. i sold a stack of 999+ to one vendor, and i kept another stack of 999+ in my inventory just for fun.

A little health meter on food to count down to when it spoils would be nice. Probably difficult to implement with stacking, but they could have a meter on a stack to show the soonest spoil time maybe. I was going to say a health meter on weapons would be nice too, but they break so quickly in practice it really isn't needed. If it didn't break this fight it'll break next fight!

In Witcher 3 is % of used weapons and armors and i think it usage is connected to combat/when u actually use it, nothing more. Here could be the same, weapons and armours using during combat only.

Life bar on food, could start when u pick up some to your inventory and get lower when time passes after it. And with that we could use some kind of fridge on the ship to keep this food good for longer :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I think for Abydons challenge to be more enjoyable there has to be an option to repair gear with materials. It's impossible to repair gear only with Gold in situations where you can't travel back to the hub, like in the Beast of Winter. And really, what purpose does Gold serve while dungeon diving? You should be able to pay blacksmiths to repair with gold otherwise repair with tier 1/2 materials. Honestly I may be running around naked in the cold by the end of Beast of Winter.

Edited by Verde

So I think for Abydons challenge to be more enjoyable there has to be an option to repair gear with materials. It's impossible to repair gear only with Gold in situations where you can't travel back to the hub, like in the Beast of Winter. And really, what purpose does Gold serve while dungeon diving? You should be able to pay blacksmiths to repair with gold otherwise repair with tier 1/2 materials. Honestly I may be running around naked in the cold by the end of Beast of Winter.

...why are you returning to the hub? you can repair whenever you need. is it just that you're out of gold?

...why are you returning to the hub? you can repair whenever you need. is it just that you're out of gold?

Out of gold during the later parts of BoW. It worked out fine, some of the BoW gear broke but it added to the adventure of the story. I did lose Whispers of the Endless Paths and Thundercrack tho :(

• 2 weeks later...

I like Abydon's challenge like it is and I think this one is the best for PotD run. It makes all weapons/armor useful on any stages of the game, personal inventory serves as a stock for spare equipment, you don't become attached to some overpowered weapon early and u have to consider what weapon to use for tough encounters like you do that with party composition. Finally buying every golden item from vendors is not an option anymore, you got to choose best ones out of cheapest.

Edited by caites

Yeah it's not bad. Requires some meta knowledge, but I enjoyed it. From a dungeon crawling perspective, I'm not sure how gold translates into fixed equipment, unless you have the handy dandy pocket blacksmith

2 challenges I really dislike :

- Wael challenge (or is that Skaen ?) :

I mean, seriously, one of the key points of the game (for me, at least) is to see big damage numbers.

With this challenge they're just gone, I'm Dark Souls'ing it there, it doesn't feel rewarding

- Abydon's challenge :

I get the whole repairing hardware thing.

I actually loved the iron crisis mod for BG1, which made un-enchanted magic items break.

Here however, I need to repair 4 times per dungeon on my tank, the hell is that.

The repair rate needs to be reduced very much, or higher tier (superb+) equipment needs to be unbreakable.

The Abydon's challenge also massively favors classes that aren't so dependent on gear, such as casters and monks.

I mean, you could make a wizard and not have to worry about repairing your armor and weapons ever.

I like Galawayn's challenge, it definitely adds to the difficulty and tactics dimension.

I have mixed feelings about the Eothas challenge.

I liked Tyranny's first edict where you need to take the spire before Kyros' day of swords, because after that the game let me play at my pace.