God Challenges Feedback!

Unlocking Mods when playing God Challenges:

• Switch to your install folder/PillarsOfEternityII_Data/exported/design/gamedata
  • Open global.gamedatabundle with Notepad++ or similar
  • Use Ctrl+F to find "DisableMods": "true". Change it to "false" (its at the very beginning)
  • Save and have fun!

I will try this, and if it works you are truly my hero. :)

(edit) Tried it and can confirm this works! Thank you so very much. I feel like more people needs to know of this. 

Edited by pinata37

Back on topic, my 2c about latest god challenges after playing with them a bit.

Hylea's: mentioned in the Vela thread that I like this a bit more now that I've played the game more. My only fault for it is that it doesn't change the core gameplay enough. It makes enemy rogues, bounce spells, reckless aoe more dangerous, makes it harder to reposition, and makes withdraw MVP, but i also wish vela did a little more child-like things during combat (maybe occasionally running around and not just cowering) for the extra heat. I do like the extra chatter she adds from time to time.

Rymrgand: actually like this quite a bit. sort of helps deal away with the rest spamming problem because the really valuable foodstuff doesn't last long so you really want to avoid resting once you get some good rest bonuses. i like how alcohol lasts a really long time (14 days), gives it extra value over similar foods at the cost of hangovers (also nice immersive touch since sailors loved carrying some grog/rum on board). i also like how salt and spices have no expiration, nice immersive touch. also makes finding fresh fruit and water while out and about more valuable since each instance of food you find is time-tracked distinctly. i might find this more annoying in the late game (when it becomes harder to keep all ingredients fresh enough to craft shark soup for example) or in certain setups (kith meat is very rare until shimmering isle which means corpse-eater really has to hoard that rest bonus). the one thing i really wish was the ability to ---> rest and eat food anywhere <--- because sometimes i want to buy some nice ingredients which only last 1 day, but i have to leave town before i can set up camp and make use of them, which is a slightly annoying extra step. the fact that i can't hoard food anymore meant that I actually had to somewhat map out my act 1 adventures so i could make sure i could get to port maje and get some hirelings and eat food before my captain's banquet from the start of the game all expired, which was an interesting logistical challenge (basically no rest, beeline straight for port maje skipping the dawnstars encounter until after resting). all things being said, I put this on my "more fun that I thought"/"pleasant surprise" along with skaen's challenge, and i feel like both this and skaen i'd probably flip on more often than not in any future runs.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

(Note: I haven't tried any of these yet as I just finished my first play through.)

Eothas: This is cool, I assume it forces you to make meaningful decisions and prioritize who you align yourself with given you can't be running around Deadfire for months doing everyone's errands while Eothas is waiting for you. Really fits with the canon and would add a sense of urgency I presume.

Galawain: Don't know what it means but it sounds cool and I'll be damned to Hel if I don't enable this.

Berath: Sounds like an awesome challenge but I think 6 seconds is a tad short.

Magran: Magran's a whore.

Abydon: This is cool. *IMMERSIVENESS INTENSIFIES*

Skaen: This is also cool, more immersiveness, would be nice though if some of the combat only abilities could be retooled to also be used out of combat as light sources. Or Hel, even just throw in a few light spells for the Wiz/Pal/Pri

Rymgand: Immersive. Oh idea, haven't tried it yet, so I don't know if you can make your crew eat rotten food when you're in a pinch, but I could think of some interesting random events if that happened. Big morale loss, crews all pukin' over the deck of The Defiance. Mutiny? Maybe, angry sailors definitely. Maybe you're cooks a high enough rank to cover up the taste of rotting meat with spices, or the surgeon comes up with some anti nausea remedy. Pfft idk, what I do know is the next one to get puke all over the side of my beautiful ship'll find em'self so far up Ondra's arse the last thing he'll see is the back of an angler fish's teeth.

Hylea: Yesssssss, I don't know how much interaction there is but yesssssss! This is great, I love characters, I love story.

slots

companion

five

love having

I also  

It would be nice if she had interactive dialogue like normal companions. From what I've heard in combat she runs around randomly, I would suggest giving the player limited control with the solution of putting some sort of tether on her so she can't move more than a certain distance from the watcher lest become frightened and run back to the watcher (or randomly throw grenades into the fray; or maybe uh idk... get mad at the Watcher for not protecting her?) hell maybe even some hardcoded skill for her so she can protect herself, something along the lines of how npcs in XCom during escourt mission can duck for cover for a small armor bonus, maybe even give her a small satchel of grenades she can throw a few times during combat. Vela could be the Watcher's adorable little Principi grenadier.

Also maybe do like a random loot thing, Vela on occasion will pick up random trinkets, junk, potions, food, and give it to the watcher.

"Here watcher I found you something!"

"Hey watcher I got you a present!"

Most adorable.

Well, for anyone who got this far thanks for reading, that's my two cents.

May Eothas' shiny green arse light your way.

P.S. That beautiful moment on the ship between Vela and Serafen was really cool, I love all the random inter companion interactions and definitely think Vela should have a few of those too, not sure if she does or not already, just saying 'cause I really appreciate how real they make the characters feel, so thanks for all your hard work.

P.P.S. Why can't a marry Eder?

• Like 2

Also maybe do like a random loot thing, Vela on occasion will pick up random trinkets, junk, potions, food, and give it to the watcher.

"Here watcher I found you something!"

"Hey watcher I got you a present!"

No, she should say "Daddy" or "Mommy". ;)

P.S. That beautiful moment on the ship between Vela and Serafen was really cool, I love all the random inter companion interactions and definitely think Vela should have a few of those too, not sure if she does or not already, just saying 'cause I really appreciate how real they make the characters feel, so thanks for all your hard work.

My favorite was with "Teku". :alienani::cat:

P.P.S. Why can't a marry Eder?

Because he is watcherphobic. :shrugz:

• Like 1

sign.jpg

Just tested Rymgands Challenge.

I don't know if it's a bug or intended, but a running countdown on the food you have would be nice. It doesn't help me much that a certain food spoils in 7 days if I can't remember when I got it.

3 days -> 2 days -> 1 day -> 12 hours, I can use. 

• Like 3

Nerf Troubadour!

I don't know if it's a bug or intended, but a running countdown on the food you have would be nice. It doesn't help me much that a certain food spoils in 7 days if I can't remember when I got it.

I think the problem with that is that currently all food of the same type stack, even if they have been picked up at different times and different values. Abydon's challenge works around this but separating stacks of equipment with different enchants is already baked into the game. Rymrgand's challenge would have to upend the inventory system around food, and I doubt Obsidian is interested in doing that kind of legwork just for an optional extra that like 1% of players will use.

• Like 1

at the same time its potentially one of the coolest challenges in the game, reminds me of hardcore mode on new vegas. but right now it feels almost like you would have to grab as much food as possible and hope for the best instead of actually managing anything and most of the big food items seems like they would be wasted since they last a day. theres not really a whole lot of uses for salt in this game and introducing like salted meat & fruit recipes for this challenge would be really neat. the nuts already shouldn't expire, and the ale should last longer than lager.

its like abydons because thats very much like new vegas to me, i would use guns until they jammed if my character didnt do repairs, throw it out, i have lots. i love doing that on here.

I think the problem with that is that currently all food of the same type stack, even if they have been picked up at different times and different values. Abydon's challenge works around this but separating stacks of equipment with different enchants is already baked into the game. Rymrgand's challenge would have to upend the inventory system around food, and I doubt Obsidian is interested in doing that kind of legwork just for an optional extra that like 1% of players will use.

Ah, but even if food of the same type stack and the stack-expiration date gets renewed, the stack must have an expiration date somewhere as it expires *at some point*. All I'd like is for this value to be visible in some form.

Nerf Troubadour!

at the same time its potentially one of the coolest challenges in the game, reminds me of hardcore mode on new vegas. but right now it feels almost like you would have to grab as much food as possible and hope for the best instead of actually managing anything and most of the big food items seems like they would be wasted since they last a day. theres not really a whole lot of uses for salt in this game and introducing like salted meat & fruit recipes for this challenge would be really neat. the nuts already shouldn't expire, and the ale should last longer than lager.

its like abydons because thats very much like new vegas to me, i would use guns until they jammed if my character didnt do repairs, throw it out, i have lots. i love doing that on here.

salted food would be great. i would settle for the food recipes that use salt (or the non-drinks that use alcohol) to have a longer expiration date.

in practice, the way rymrgand's challenge plays out for me is this:

• don't grab "Fresh fruit" and "water" while i'm sailing around unless I need it (sometimes means i make stops on the way back from a bounty on an island i had visited before it means refreshing my supply of fruit and water)
  • when I pick up new food, I immediately put it into food/drink for my ship instead of letting my crew chomp down on water and hardtack
  • start paying more attention to the deadfire merchant ships in case i need more food or some special food that expires quickly and i'm too far away from nekata (mariner's porridge is the big one os i can avoid hangovers)
  • keep track of merchants with specific food types
    • eggs are a big one because i have a corpse-eater barbarian. kith meat is hard to come by pre-shimmering isles, but you can do corpse loaf which uses vessel flesh (which doesn't expire).
    • sayuka merchant has both aged shark meat and fire kelp for shark soup
  • avoid resting if at all possible, once i have a good set of resting bonuses (especially since with alcohol you get hungover and mariner's porridge is harder to come by and every time i rest i might spoil something else)
  • (probably later on) invest in faster ships so I can cross more of the deadfire in a given amount of time (will be relevant for doing recipes from whale meat since IIRC that most plentifully comes from encounters)

the more i play the more i really like this challenge. probably my favorite. definitely going to flip this on again in the future.

weird fact: food/drink in your ship management food/drink section that spoils stays there and your sailors will eat it if it's the next thing to eat. they'll lose morale, but it'll fulfill food/water needs. however, once you pick up the spoiled food/drink, you can't put it back into the food/drink slots. i guess the way this translates IRL is:

sailor 1: "aw cap, our hearty breakfast went bad!"

...day passes...

sailor 2: "they ain't listening to us"

sailor 1: "well, i guess we have to eat it" (-1 morale)

captain: "what's all this then?" *picks up spoiled food*

captain: *examines spoiled food*

captain: *tries to put it back down*

sailor 1/2: "nonononono take that away"

• Like 3

in practice, the way rymrgand's challenge plays out for me is this:

• don't grab "Fresh fruit" and "water" while i'm sailing around unless I need it (sometimes means i make stops on the way back from a bounty on an island i had visited before it means refreshing my supply of fruit and water)
  • when I pick up new food, I immediately put it into food/drink for my ship instead of letting my crew chomp down on water and hardtack
  • start paying more attention to the deadfire merchant ships in case i need more food or some special food that expires quickly and i'm too far away from nekata (mariner's porridge is the big one os i can avoid hangovers)
  • keep track of merchants with specific food types
    • eggs are a big one because i have a corpse-eater barbarian. kith meat is hard to come by pre-shimmering isles, but you can do corpse loaf which uses vessel flesh (which doesn't expire).
    • sayuka merchant has both aged shark meat and fire kelp for shark soup
  • avoid resting if at all possible, once i have a good set of resting bonuses (especially since with alcohol you get hungover and mariner's porridge is harder to come by and every time i rest i might spoil something else)
  • (probably later on) invest in faster ships so I can cross more of the deadfire in a given amount of time (will be relevant for doing recipes from whale meat since IIRC that most plentifully comes from encounters)
the more i play the more i really like this challenge. probably my favorite. definitely going to flip this on again in the future.

This is actually really interesting. Your description makes me want to play with this Challenge. :)

sailor 1: "aw cap, our hearty breakfast went bad!"

...day passes...

sailor 2: "they ain't listening to us"

sailor 1: "well, i guess we have to eat it" (-1 morale)

captain: "what's all this then?" *picks up spoiled food*

captain: *examines spoiled food*

captain: *tries to put it back down*

sailor 1/2: "nonononono take that away"

What if the next item in line is Kith meat? :p

sign.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I completed the following challenges combo on potd trial of iron

No death

Fog of war 7m

Spoiled food

Monster buff

I think these are all fine

I could not do the broken equipment one because weapons would break mid combat like come on. And the costs were way too high to repair. Cheaper to buy new equipment then repair. I mean you can create a cheesy build to get around this but I’d rather not.

The critical path rush is fine but then you can’t do dlc ever on that save which kind of sucks but ok I mean can’t we allow player to continue with dlc after completing critical path please. I see no reason for this restriction I understand maybe some narratives will not make sense but so what.

Vela I’m sure I can figure out a way to do it

No pause I think that’s a challenge on its own maybe too hard combined with everything else

• Like 1

Damnit, Berath's and Hylea's challenges make boarding incredibly frustrating. Especially Berath's: companions, who isn't in squad, but fight on ship also die 10 seconds after knockout. Why does it exist? They cannot be controlled and their knockout can be overlooked easily, saving them is a huge pain in ass. Limit it only with active party members: I don't want to protect another five or six Velas.

About Vela herself. Saving her is more manageable (withdraw is necessary though) but I had a number of silly situations when Vela was killed before I got control of my party. Not good.

Edited by Sergeant Arch Dornan
  • Like 3

Some feedback for Woedica's challenge: it would be great if empowers would still give for half resources (like in the main game).

Please ?

they don't? (haven't tried beta)

Well, I checked with the beta and no, they don't... shame because Woedica's challenge is already pretty rough with the no healing and only prepared meals counting for camping.

Some feedback for Woedica's challenge: it would be great if empowers would still give for half resources (like in the main game).

Please ?

Well, I checked with the beta and no, they don't... shame because Woedica's challenge is already pretty rough with the no healing and only prepared meals counting for camping.

so empower is only use for the +5 PL bonus then? interesting decision...

Please ?

Heya dukeisaac,

Did you attempt to empower while out of combat while checking this? Empowering your hero should still refund resources in Woedica's Challenge if used while in combat. While outside of combat, currently it does nothing (but it also shouldn't consume your empower). There's a bug in our system for the team to look at this, but that should be how it currently works.

Hope that helps =)

• Like 7

I try my very best.

Please ?

Heya dukeisaac,

Did you attempt to empower while out of combat while checking this? Empowering your hero should still refund resources in Woedica's Challenge if used while in combat. While outside of combat, currently it does nothing (but it also shouldn't consume your empower). There's a bug in our system for the team to look at this, but that should be how it currently works.

Hope that helps =)

I'll try it out tomorrow :) But if this is true, I'm one happy camper ! Thanks Andy

Edit: I can confirm that it works and that its awesome. Many thx to the dev team !

Edited by dukeisaac
  • Like 4