God Challenges Feedback!

the can’t flee should be removed the challenge is already good with perms death. It doesnt work correctly. Mobs are aggroed without the player knowing and then we have to search and figure them out it’s just awkward

yeah definitely this. when this happens it's extremely annoying because i have no idea what enemy is keeping me in combat and i just have to wander around, possibly aggroing a completely unrelated pack of enemies and even after that i'm still in combat. compulsive quick-save and quick-load seems key in this challenge.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

the can’t flee should be removed the challenge is already good with perms death. It doesnt work correctly. Mobs are aggroed without the player knowing and then we have to search and figure them out it’s just awkward

yeah definitely this. when this happens it's extremely annoying because i have no idea what enemy is keeping me in combat and i just have to wander around, possibly aggroing a completely unrelated pack of enemies and even after that i'm still in combat. compulsive quick-save and quick-load seems key in this challenge.

Would be better if they just fixed since it is a bug yeah?  There is no escape ...

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

just wanted to chime in again because i restarted my berath challenge character to try 3 challenges at once (eothas, berath, and galawain) and wanted to add my thoughts on the new ones:

galawain: i really really like this challenge so far. I may turn this on close to 100% of the time in the future. Really makes the prologue potentially brutal, and really amps up the challenge with fighting beasts. The randomness of the buff forces me to adapt. One encounter might have a bunch of Unstoppable (no affliction) enemies that weakens my rogue (fortunately you can still flank), but another encounter with very similar enemies might instead have Bullish---which is so far my vote for really awful because so far there's nothing worse than having your characters repeatedly pushed/interrupted and really punishes you for letting a simple bullish young boar from slipping past your front line to a caster. I love it, in a masochistic sense.

eothas: not bad. it's not so much a speedrun as it is a "limited rest/exploration" challenge. I finished the prologue with 23 hours remaining and didn't rest at all. I could have explored the island a bit more and rested once and still had a few hours left. Prologue gives you 3 days/26 hours, Act 1 gives you 25 days. Haven't gotten to Act 2 yet. I like how it makes me a lot more conscious about resting and using empower points so far. I kinda wish it wasn't so hard a deadline and more of a rest limit though because world map travel eats up a lot of time (basically 3 days just to go from the engwithan dig site straight to nekata, and you only get 25 days like i said), so since i like being thorough for most of my runs this is a challenge i'll just have once or twice just as a novelty. (note: because berath basically turns knockouts into instant-reloads, combining berath with eothas is sort of a free two-for-one, since with eothas you want to avoid resting, which means avoiding knockouts) pro-tip: avoid searching burial mounds because boy they eat up a lot of time and (most of the time) it's not really worth it. if i hadn't searched the burial mound on port maje island, i could have rested and still have had more than a day left.

EDIT: fyi, got to act 2 with eothas, and you have 28 days to clear ashen maw. we'll see how much act 3 gives you. but it's actually a bit less time-constrained than i thought because i aggressively cleered nekataka quests in act 1 (minimal travel time) still had like 14 days left and went to do poko kohara, and then some fetch quests in dunnage, and then a few ship bounties and cleared act 1 having done two rests with three days left. now most of the easy "gets" are done, which leaves me lots of time to do quests/bounties that involve a bit more travel. I assume act 4 will give you a similar amount of time, which means plenty of time to do a lot of exploration and questing.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

I've played the game only once before on POTD and decided to give it another try with some of the challenges. I chose Berath's and Galawain's challeneges. The other ones don't appeal to me. The no pause and limited time ones are probably the worst. I will never play them.

I like both so far (Berath/Galawain). Just left the first island. Berath's challenge is def my favourite. But i'm doing not only that but also 0 knockbacks playthrough that i did before on my first and only Deadfire POTD playthrough when the game came out.

I read some complaints about the Berath's challange so i've decided to create this account and add my 2 cents. Having to clear a whole group of enemies works fine for me. Adds another level of difficulty. You are not able to pull enemies one by one or kill them in smaller packs. I mean you can but you cannot leave the combat. I would never consider this a bug or something that needs fixing.

Edited by Givemedanger

I read some complaints about the Berath's challange so i've decided to create this account and add my 2 cents. Having to clear a whole group of enemies works fine for me. Adds another level of difficulty. You are not able to pull enemies one by one or kill them in smaller packs. I mean you can but you cannot leave the combat. I would never consider this a bug or something that needs fixing.

the more i play with berath's, the less i find it as a bug and more just confusing. a lot of encounters before that I thought were separate are actually linked--just something I never realized, not through any deliberate attempt to pull or anything. sometimes it's just unintuitive. the earliest example of this is in the cave in vilario's rest... you head to the right, and there's a skeleton. On most non-berath's challenge potd playthroughs, I end up pulling a rotghast and maybe a revenant after that skeleton--not intentionally, but maybe the noise of fighting triggers some rhotghast/revenant awareness and they lumber down the steps; i end up finishing them as part of the same encounter. i then later go up the steps to kill the two skeletons with pistols as a separate encounter.

With berath's challenge, the first skeleton you fight is a separate encounter, and then the rhotgast, revenant, and 2x skeleton with pistols are a single distinct encounter apart from that. Definitely very different from how most of my other characters have fought those fights. 

the more i play with berath's, the less i find it as a bug and more just confusing. a lot of encounters before that I thought were separate are actually linked--just something I never realized, not through any deliberate attempt to pull or anything. sometimes it's just unintuitive. the earliest example of this is in the cave in vilario's rest... you head to the right, and there's a skeleton. On most non-berath's challenge potd playthroughs, I end up pulling a rotghast and maybe a revenant after that skeleton--not intentionally, but maybe the noise of fighting triggers some rhotghast/revenant awareness and they lumber down the steps; i end up finishing them as part of the same encounter. i then later go up the steps to kill the two skeletons with pistols as a separate encounter.

With berath's challenge, the first skeleton you fight is a separate encounter, and then the rhotgast, revenant, and 2x skeleton with pistols are a single distinct encounter apart from that. Definitely very different from how most of my other characters have fought those fights. 

The problem is it isn't consistent, and right now it exists as a bug - for instance I played the Sea Cave mentioned above where in the first battle with the beetles all of the other enemies were activated in the cave and I couldn't reset my per encounter abilities (at least I could never find the enemy who was causing it) and couldn't leave combat; then I played it again and the area loaded correctly with each enemy encounter unique and the per encounter abilities resetting as each combat encounter ended.  I am fine with the extra challenge of having an area be one long battle, sounds cool and difficult (really difficult actually) but am game to try it - I mean even as a bug it is kind of exciting to play, but when you don't expect it, it can really throw you off, especially in a Trial by Iron run.

Edited by aaronghowell

The problem is it isn't consistent, and right now it exists as a bug - for instance I played the Sea Cave mentioned above where in the first battle with the beetles all of the other enemies were activated in the cave and I couldn't reset my per encounter abilities (at least I could never find the enemy who was causing it) and couldn't leave combat; then I played it again and the area loaded correctly with each enemy encounter unique and the per encounter abilities resetting as each combat encounter ended.  I am fine with the extra challenge of having an area be one long battle, sounds cool and difficult (really difficult actually) but am game to try it - I mean even as a bug it is kind of exciting to play, but when you don't expect it, it can really throw you off, especially in a Trial by Iron run.

speaking of which, i definitely ran into something that definitely seems unintentional from the perspective of a beraths challenge. at poko kohara, when the engwithan titan rises, my typical response is to flee to the left so I can take it out and deal with the adds later. even on berath's challenge, however, once i finished off the engwithan titan, the fight ended, and i could get my per-encounters back before dealing with the adds separately. seemed like the intention really should've been one big fight.

At Poko Kohara, the adds spawn late. If you actually get the Titan far away enough, Berath's Challange won't include the adds in the combat. 

The same thing happens the the Sea Cave. If you engage the two beatles in combat where they are, you will have to fight the sceleton that is further in, which means you will have to fight all of those things that follow. If you just draw the beatles away without engaging, you won't have to fight the sceleton. 

Think of it that way--there is a radius around the thing you're engaging, and things belong to groups. You have to deal with everything within that radius or deal with the thing's entire group for combat to end. 

• Like 2

IP5ok2U.png

m0x5eY5.pngtBxm170.png

At Poko Kohara, the adds spawn late. If you actually get the Titan far away enough, Berath's Challange won't include the adds in the combat. 

The same thing happens the the Sea Cave. If you engage the two beatles in combat where they are, you will have to fight the sceleton that is further in, which means you will have to fight all of those things that follow. If you just draw the beatles away without engaging, you won't have to fight the sceleton. 

Think of it that way--there is a radius around the thing you're engaging, and things belong to groups. You have to deal with everything within that radius or deal with the thing's entire group for combat to end. 

I understand the Sea Cave and drawing the bugs away and the Titan, but this is something different - once I entered the sea cave no matter where I fought the beetles it didn't matter no matter how many times I reloaded a new save, trust me I even brought them across the bridge with traps - and it wasn't just the skeleton, it was a multitude of the encounters - I have played that sea cave so many times lol.  But on a different game the Sea Cave loaded correctly.  I also think if I went back to a save before I entered the sea cave I could have gotten it to work correctly, I have another example of something similar happening - it is rare and hard to recreate if not impossible I bet :)  Anyway running away from the Titan and getting him in the slog zone ... my favorite tactic when you have Sand Blights that kill with one or two shots ...

Nevermind my above posts - I was wrong looks like it is a feature, I just confused it with other minor instances of strange happenings, or I should say that I assume per this post below it is a feature, which now that I know ...

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/106005-combat-resolved-but-encounter-not-ending/?do=findComment&comment=2101967

Crazy - will make it interesting definitely, especially when the whole area loads as a combat group lol.

Edited by aaronghowell

My biggest problem with them is Skaen's challenge.

Since I like playing a ranged-combat character, the smaller viewing area makes it much harder because you can't see your foes at range.

By the time you see them, they're almost within melee range.

It's such a major change, that I plan on creating a melee-only party for that challenge.

Since I like playing a ranged-combat character, the smaller viewing area makes it much harder because you can't see your foes at range.

It's such a major change, that I plan on creating a melee-only party for that challenge.

get a torch or use the starting saber torch and keep it on a melee character, try fighting only during daytime, or use a stealthy scouting party member.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 1

get a torch or use the starting saber torch and keep it on a melee character, try fighting only during daytime, or use a stealthy scouting party.

How many meters do you gain with the torch? Is it the same with Xoti's lantern and the sabre?

sign.jpg

get a torch or use the starting saber torch and keep it on a melee character, try fighting only during daytime, or use a stealthy scouting party.

How many meters do you gain with the torch? Is it the same with Xoti's lantern and the sabre?

yep. And lighting effects don't stack. If one is already using the lantern or has the sabre torch, adding the other or additional torches won't help. Torches also count as clubs for weapon proficiency purposes, which is a fun thing that I never before needed to know pre-skaen's challenge. I actually kind wish now we had magical non-sabre torches.

• Like 1

I love playing the game with challenges as it brings new life into the game however i feel abydons challenge is not balanced properly at all. 

in one fight my chest piece will break costing 3k to repair, maybe my 2 weapons break too costing another 1.5 to 2k and another 1k respectably. This far out ways the rewards i will receive from the fight, and this is only on a solo character, if i had to repair this much for an entire party you'd never have enough money to actually fight things? 

has anyone else found this or is it just a bug on my end? 

get a torch or use the starting saber torch and keep it on a melee character, try fighting only during daytime, or use a stealthy scouting party member.

Doesn't solve the "problem", when trying to do a ranged solo play.

You can't hold a torch (or light source) and use most ranged weapons.  (pistols excluded)

What I need is a mod with a bow / crossbow / arbalest with a light source attached.  LOL

Edited by Walter.Richards

I love playing the game with challenges as it brings new life into the game however i feel abydons challenge is not balanced properly at all. 

in one fight my chest piece will break costing 3k to repair, maybe my 2 weapons break too costing another 1.5 to 2k and another 1k respectably. This far out ways the rewards i will receive from the fight, and this is only on a solo character, if i had to repair this much for an entire party you'd never have enough money to actually fight things? 

has anyone else found this or is it just a bug on my end? 

The whole coping strategy for Abydon's is to have lots of disposable weapons to use on trash fights. On solo it might be rougher because fights last so much longer, but for a 5-person party I have lots of spare equipment (sometimes just waiting in a spare weapon slot) and save my uniques for when I really want to bust them out. It helps that it appears that damaged equipment sells for the same as undamaged, so instead of repairing the common trash I just sell it. But yes, you have to be really deliberate because otherwise you are just constantly losing money as the game goes on due to costs > most rewards (other than bounties). And it also means relying on all the disposal magical trash weapons means your power level is going to be lagging behind a non-Abydon challenge. I think it makes for an interesting challenge, but now that SSS is out with lots of bullet sponges I'm a little less keen on Abydon's challenge because it would suck to be fighting a multi-thousand-HP monster and damage all your best equipment to shreds over the course of a single fight. (Also when you start getting exceptional or superb scaling on your summoned weapons, they are huge money savers.)

You can't hold a torch (or light source) and use most ranged weapons.  (pistols excluded)

What I need is a mod with a bow / crossbow / arbalest with a light source attached.  LOL

+100 upvotes for some sort of tactical flashlight enchant on an arbalest or crossbow :)

Edited by thelee

In addition to the good suggestions in this thread, I would add:

- Magran's challenge should not prohibit *slow combat speeds*

for those of us who have handicaps on physical reflexes, no-pause combat on normal speed is simply unworkable

but slowest combat speed + no pause could *still* be a fun and reasonable challenge

- Skaen's challenge should extend fog of war to travel by ship on the world map

the radius could be increased by lantern upgrades, spyglass, etc.

(and the storms should be invisible, so the player doesn't know when one is being entered!)

• Like 1

- Skaen's challenge should extend fog of war to travel by ship on the world map

the radius could be increased by lantern upgrades, spyglass, etc.

(and the storms should be invisible, so the player doesn't know when one is being entered!)

dayumn i love these ideas

• Like 2

The trick is that summoned weapons often provide some extra light, and also don't need to be repaired - they start to hold a lot more value in Skaen's and Abydon's.  Is there still the bow summon for Wizards - the Blackbow??  High level spell and not sure it glows ...

For Abydon how about reducing price and adding a repair time, so you don't have to manage just money but also consider the repair time

I thought about the cost as it is crazy expensive, but I think the challenge is to keep you from using your best weapons and also to suffer in combat with broken weapons/armor - so let's not be too hasty in taking them away ... though I think your idea could work - especially if they kept repairing weapons to merchants in towns, and added the reduced the price; and make them available later ... might be too much in terms of changes to game mechanics though so I might be dreaming.

Edited by aaronghowell
  • Like 1

The trick is that summoned weapons often provide some extra light, and also don't need to be repaired - they start to hold a lot more value in Skaen's and Abydon's.  Is there still the bow summon for Wizards - the Blackbow??  High level spell and not sure it glows ...

Interesting. Time to plan a 5 priest party. :)

sign.jpg