God Challenges Feedback!

My main concern regarding god challenges are:

---> Disabled Mods and Beraths Blessings <---

Being able to play with the God's Challenges on other difficulties besides PotD and with mods and Berath's blessings would be interesting if we had these:

• all per-encounter abilities become per-rest
  • resting only allowed in rare "safe" zones, inns, etc
  • pillars 1 style health/endurance system
Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

I'd also like to have the God Challenges be possible on every difficulty, and to have one that limits resting and makes injuries tougher to deal with, more in line with PoE1 (Rymrgand perhaps, as in " gradually grinding down your party"?).

People complaining that this is tedious instead of challenging can just not take the challenge, or learn to roll with the punches instead of going back and forth whenever someone drops for a moment.

• Like 3

I'm incapable of rest spamming. If you do it too often, it either means that your party is spending a week in a dungeon or that they can go to sleep many times a day. I know it feels different for each player, but for me this completely breaks the immersion so I always do my best to avoid resting inside a dungeon, unless it's a big one, like Durgan's Battery, for example.

• Like 3

sign.jpg

I would like to see challenges where the consumables and resting are limited because right now abusing charges/scrolls makes the game very easy.

Also I would like to see some kind of reward after completing a god's challenge - maybe some boons (similar to Magran's) which can be selected at the start of a game.

• Like 3

So this isn't really a bug, but just wanted to post this interaction here in case it wasn't expected. Anyway, so I was playing with all the challenges on (as a berserker). Pretty much every fight required me to be right on top of any enemy or they were completely invisible and not even visually rendered.

I was playing around in the beast of winter area and got the footsteps of the beast (which pulses that aoe hobbling effect). I did a real noob move and turned on rage near the end of a fight (with the boots on), at least I thought it was the end. Apparently there were archers around 5-7m away from me on either side of the fight, so I couldn't see them or their arrows except for the damage numbers occasionally popping up. Needless to say, that aoe hobbled the **** out of me and I got 3 wounds or injuries or whatever you want to call them in a couple of seconds and KO'd myself (mostly because I couldn't find the archers and I was slowed).

After metaphorically facepalming myself into the 34th century, thought it would be worth posting here for a laugh.

Edited by Vixenary

Note that there are 12 slots in the god challenge UI, and only 11 gods in the setting.

Nemnok's challenge??

”Select All”

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

No inventory (only equipment slots)

Rest only in inns (Galawain, or Skaen in addition of the current challenge)

Make all AoE to affect both enemies and allies (maybe Magran?)

No health regeneration, permanent injuries (Rymgrand)

Double negative reputation (Skaen)

Remove the PotD restriction

Abydon: Limit the number of times an item can be repaired

Magran: Will never use it, but kind of like it to be there. Still i think i  would prefer something i would actually use

Skaen: I really like it, but feels small, there should be something else

Wael: "What will happen is a mystery" (Nothing happens)

So far i will use everything but Magran

• Like 2

• Berath's challenge is pointless if you don't play Trial of Iron. If you do, it's very good challenge
  • Magran's challenge is terrible because of the bugs. AI/Phrases/Formations randomly resetting make this challenge unbearable pile of bull****
  • Abydon's challenge is okay-ish, my only gripe with it is that only thing it adds is more micromanagement and annoyance without really impacting the game
  • Skaen's challenge should be in base game. It doesn't really increase difficulty and it makes sense, it's nothing extra.

These challenges will not fix difficulty issues the base game has. Furthermore they make bugs and bad game design much more prominent.

I think Starcraft's Mutators are much better example how to do such challenges. Examples of SC's mutators:

• Enemies explode on death, doing small damage (it does nothing if you have ranged units, but if enemies manage to go into your face or you mismanage your units they will get obliterated)
  • Killing an enemy buffs enemies around him, stacking up to 10 times. (as long as you kill all things at the same time it's no problem, but if you leave one enemy untouched until end of the fight, he'll act as a mini-boss because of these "revenge" stacks)
  • Resources are mined at much lower rate, but caches of resources appear all over the map (you rely on standard income much less and you have to micromanage much more, but this way you can get more resources than if you just mined)

As you can see, these can be worked around but you have to be careful because really bad thing might happen if you don't.

So what i propose for Deadfire:

• Perception debuffs no longer cause Flanked status. Flanked status now increases damage taken by X%. (Flanking an enemy would be a big deal,  but at the same time you could be obliterated very quickly if you're not careful. It requires 2+ melee characters to Flank someone, so melee builds and Rangers would shine)
  • Killing enemies has chance to spawn Revenants. These Revenants have the same stats as enemy you killed, but they are semi-transparent and classified as spirits (so veil-touched).Large enemies such as Bosses are guaranteed to spawn lesser version of themselves instead.
  • If your characters have their health decreased to 0 they outright die as if they had 3 injuries. Resting on Mid-quality food (which means crafted food) adds buff that prevents death (character gets knocked out instead). Resting on high-quality food (top tier crafted food) prevents death twice. Alcohol doesn't provide death protection, but it now massively increases max health in addition to its normal effects.
Edited by Somnium_Meum
  • Like 1

People complaining that this is tedious instead of challenging can just not take the challenge, or learn to roll with the punches instead of going back and forth whenever someone drops for a moment.

But it is tedious. What exactly is challenging in going back to the Inn? How does the proccess of going out of a dungeon and going to an Inn to rest up is a "challenge"? This is just a huge waste of time, especially with this game's horrid loading screens.

• Like 1

The challenge is that you can't rest after every fight so you need to use your abilities less freely

That would work if I were also prevented from backtracking to an inn.

If resting is still possible, just inconvenient, it accomplishes nothing. Not resting remains a choice, as it already is.

• Like 3

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

The challenge is that you can't rest after every fight so you need to use your abilities less freely

... but you can.

People get so hung up on how we need attrition in western CRPGs, but you can't have both attrition and the near-total freedom of movement that is a hallmark of the genre. At the very least, you need the mechanics of attrition to impair one's freedom of movement, either functionally (as in Wasteland 2, where leaving dungeons and coming back is going to cost you valuable water/ammunition, etc) or intrinsically (not allowing you to leave areas until they're completed). Many JRPGs factor in attrition by including random battles (and making those battles part of the expected leveling curve, punishing you for avoiding them). The Persona games had meaningful attrition by incentivizing the player, strongly, to save time by trying to do as much as you could all in one go. But barring some kind of opportunity cost to jaunting around willy-nilly, attrition is just not going to be meaningful.

Edited by gkathellar
  • Like 1

If I'm typing in red, it means I'm being sarcastic. But not this time.

Dark green, on the other hand, is for jokes and irony in general.

That would work if I were also prevented from backtracking to an inn.

If resting is still possible, just inconvenient, it accomplishes nothing. Not resting remains a choice, as it already is.

Basically we need simulation of Dark Souls bonfire mechanics. You have certain amount of resources, resting at bonfire refills them, but also respawns all enemies.

So, translated into PoE - You can only rest while on World Map or in Inn, and doing so resets all encounters in areas you haven't cleared yet.

So you'll have to beat zones such as Poko Kohara, Engwithian Digsite and Hasongo in one run instead of resting after every fight. It would enforce picking encounters and scouting instead of mindlessly rushing and slaying everything that moves for loot.

Edited by Somnium_Meum
  • Like 5

So basically, if we have a dungeon that ends with a difficult boss, we cannot use any per-rest abilties for the whole dungeon to save them for the final fight?

Sounds fun.

Not.

Also this system would be abused to hell and beyond. If enemies respawn, I can farm infinite money in any dungeon I want to, by clearing it almost-fully, selling loot and repeating.

• Like 1

My wish list:

Magrans: Game can't be paused, enemies enraged (+2 pen +5 strength +20% action speed)

Barath: injuries are permanent 

Rymrgand = healing effectiveness halved

Hylea = SuperDrakes/ Dragons

Wael = everyone afflicted by wild mind

Skaen = sight decreased, poison affects +50% damage, all consumables -50% effectiveness

Abydon = inventory disabled???

Woedica = all per encounter abilities now reset on rest

Eothas = cannot rest

• Like 2

So basically, if we have a dungeon that ends with a difficult boss, we cannot use any per-rest abilties for the whole dungeon to save them for the final fight?

Sounds fun.

Not.

Also this system would be abused to hell and beyond. If enemies respawn, I can farm infinite money in any dungeon I want to, by clearing it almost-fully, selling loot and repeating.

Yeah, better use Empower, Per-Rest abilities and Figurines in every fight.

I don't see problem here, Per Rest abilities are designed to be used only ocassionally because they are game-breaking. You could still spam them in map events and ship battles.

Respawned enemies would have no drops, or only generic drops such as few coppers or monster materials.

Come up with some better solution  :)

Edited by Somnium_Meum