Thoughts on the most research-oriented/academic thing to do with the souls?

Hey guys...

So, this is another PoE1 question. I'm curious as to what you guys think would be the most research oriented/academic thing to do with the souls at the resolution of the Hollowborn Crisis? The character I'm playing is a Vallian minor lord, a Cipher and academic who works for the ducs bel in order to root out corruption (Or at least, unsanctioned corruption) within the Republics. 

My default from a resarch-based/academic perspective is Galawain's choice (Though I don't plan on pledging to any of the gods, this character isn't hugely religious). From the position of someone interested/invested with animancy/soul research, it makes sense to learn as much about bolstering souls as possible, even though it does make those "Backwoods Dyrwoodans" a bit more of a credible threat to the Republics. I've also considered Wael's choice, more out of a "Let's see what happens," perspective. But I don't really like the way Wael is presented as the god of knowledge in PoE; It seems like they're based on obfuscating information as much as uncovering it. 

Rymrgand's choice would be interesting from an analytical perspective. 

• Like 1

So, Wael's request of the Watcher is that they send the souls off into the unknown. That seems like the sort of thing you're looking for? I mean, Wael's request doesn't come in until you have already pledged to some other god e.g. Hylea, and in order to do as he asks you'll be annoying that other god. Still, there is an unanswered question that you can get an answer to, and if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly it seems like that's what you're after.

So, Wael's request of the Watcher is that they send the souls off into the unknown. That seems like the sort of thing you're looking for? I mean, Wael's request doesn't come in until you have already pledged to some other god e.g. Hylea, and in order to do as he asks you'll be annoying that other god. Still, there is an unanswered question that you can get an answer to, and if I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly it seems like that's what you're after.

That's a good point! (And it does? So it just doesn't pop up if you haven't already pledged to someone before going into Breith Eamon or however it's spelled?)

It'd also be a good way of distinguishing this character from my others. I pretty much always go with Galawain. 

I'd say either Galawain, Rymrgand or Hylea's choices would fit best for your character: Galawain and Rymrgand for the reasons already stated, and Hylea for the unique opportunity to study the souls of the former hollowborn.

I could see Galawain and Wael both. Just to add to the Wael part, Wael often uses mystery to encourage curiosity and invention, which fits well with a scholar.

However, I can also see an argument for Hylea.

If you're an animancer, you'd probably look at the Hollowborn Crisis as an animancy problem that could be *fixed* by animancy. This is further supported by the fact that ancient animancer technology is what's causing the crisis in the first place. It makes sense that an animancer would want to cure the affliction and return souls to where they were originally planned to go. Just as a doctor would cure dangerous diseases with antibiotics.

It really depends on the animancer we're talking about.

I could see Galawain and Wael both. Just to add to the Wael part, Wael often uses mystery to encourage curiosity and invention, which fits well with a scholar.

However, I can also see an argument for Hylea.

If you're an animancer, you'd probably look at the Hollowborn Crisis as an animancy problem that could be *fixed* by animancy. This is further supported by the fact that ancient animancer technology is what's causing the crisis in the first place. It makes sense that an animancer would want to cure the affliction and return souls to where they were originally planned to go. Just as a doctor would cure dangerous diseases with antibiotics.

It really depends on the animancer we're talking about.

Thinking about it, Hylea actually does suit the sort of character I'm wanting to play. Though it does get a little finicky since I'm also wanting the Gift of the Machine bonus (5% max HP and +1 Might) and you can only (Canonically) get that by feeding some hapless prisoners (Or a little girl, if you've more or less lost all sense of morality) to a self-aware zombie man. Aside from that, this character tends to lean more towards using animancy for the benefit of Eora's people, curing various soul-related conditions and the like rather than wanting to become an immortal lich like Concelhaut (I plan to spare Llengrath in this playthrough as well). 

(Hylea also gives you a fairly amazing food item)

I actually see Galawain's choice as embodying some of the same principles as Hylea's, though keeping true to Galawain's whole philosophy of "Survival of the fittest." Here, you essentially view the souls as essence, a potential resource to be used to benefit those already living. You're essentially creating magical antidepressants. 

Wael also works for the reasons stated, and is the more neutral of the three, I feel. It sort of sets the quest before your character to find out what effect, if any, your choice even had. 

I'll need to think a little more about the character I intend to play and decide what he'd do. Of course, the fact that I want to go for Gift of the Machine does point me toward either Wael's or Galawain's choices.

• Like 1