But what about 35 RES + Lone Wolf and other stuff like Cabalist's Gambeson and Strand of Favour and that reduce afflicton duration? Are they multiplicative and you can never get to 0 (except with Clarity of Agony) or are they additive?

Clarity + Crucible should be a great combo - increased defenses when an afflicton expires. Well they expire instantly as soon as they get applied. :lol:

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Never tested what happen when you stack everything, i will try in the next days if i have time.

Clarity is one of my fav buffs, since it *cut* 5 secs of all negative effect, on top of the 50% reduction. It really cleans you fast.

Anyway about affliction ecc, you actually have a whole of 4 ways to defend from it:

- real defence --> stack defences : no hit no effect. Quite intutive.

- functional defence --> stack -x% affliction duration effect ( resolve, lone Wolf ring, clarity, ecc). You may be hit, but the effect will expire do soon that is not a problem.

- pre-empive defence --> use a easily spammable buff ( best if istant cast) to use as a shield vs an affliction. Warriors,monks snd barb (frenzy!) are very good for it. Ex: you can alwsys keep up thunderous blows and swift strikes, so every time you are hit by a might or dexterity affliction, they *remove your buff instead than actually hit you*. You can easily replanish your buff 1 sec later and you bacome immune-like to that affliction. Note that A.I. can manage very well this.

- absolute immunity --> stack all immunity type item to cover everything ( skaen vest for perception and ???, Revku gloves for const, ecc)

Bonus: the other side of the medal is that if you want some of your buffs to never be removed ( i.e. you want to keep up robust for whole duration) you can try to find a constitution affliction immunity item. Even simple resistance is often enough: all tier 1 affliction attacks will be negated and your buff will not be removed.

Edited by Dr <3

Ah, crap. And here I was, theorycrafting a build around this exact concept for a Principi playthrough and eventually my next Class Build thread... looks like I'll have to move fast on this or otherwise get ninja'd.  >_<

Well, as long as this thread exists, I might as well make use of it. What's the complete list of equipment that gives -% hostile effect durations, and what strategies currently exist for hitting the 35 RES cap?

Go to the gamepedia wiki and search for "Hostile effect duration". I believe currently it's that Lone Wolf ring, Strand of Favor and Cabalist's Gambeson. Maybe more from BoW.

Clarity of Agony is -50% and -5 sec duration. But it's not passive (costs wounds.

Besides inspirations RES can be raised with the amulet of the BoW dragon (+4 - you have to kill some of your summons, so bring a Beckoner). Other items are +2 max if I recall correctly. Some consumables give a decent bonus as well as certain inns. I don't think it's possible to reach 35 without consumables/resting bonuses unless I miss some effect. But if you take human or Orlan from Ixamitl or Aedyr, then use that amulet and two items with minor RES bonus and an inspiration you are pretty close to 35.

Which stats does Soul Devourer of the Engoliero do Espirs boost? If RES is among them that would be it.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Go to the gamepedia wiki and search for "Hostile effect duration". I believe currently it's that Lone Wolf ring, Strand of Favor and Cabalist's Gambeson. Maybe more from BoW.

Clarity of Agony is -50% and -5 sec duration. But it's not passive (costs wounds.

Besides inspirations RES can be raised with the amulet of the BoW dragon (+4 - you have to kill some of your summons, so bring a Beckoner). Other items are +2 max if I recall correctly. Some consumables give a decent bonus as well as certain inns. I don't think it's possible to reach 35 without consumables/resting bonuses unless I miss some effect. But if you take human or Orlan from Ixamitl or Aedyr, then use that amulet and two items with minor RES bonus and an inspiration you are pretty close to 35.

Which stats does Soul Devourer of the Engoliero do Espirs boost? If RES is among them that would be it.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Boeroer, I think I've figured it out.

Assuming a Human/Orlan from Aedyr/Ixamitl for the maximum starting 20 Resolve, getting the full stack from Neriscyrlas' Hope (the BoW dracolich amulet) should push it up to 24 RES. I wonder if the new cloak Shroud of the Phantasm would synergize with the amulet, since its Living Illusions enchantment activates quite a few summons that seem to die if you breath on them; if their deaths count, it should fulfil the full stack requirements.

Then add either the Ring of the Solitary Wanderer, or the new Ring Harmony for an additional 1 RES to make it 25. You could use both, but I feel that their effects are too contradictory to work well together; thus I'd recommend the former for a solo run, and the latter for party play.

For consumables, the Rice Wine alcohol gives 2 RES, and the Ripple Sponge drug gives 3 RES. Now you have a total of 30 Resolve.

Lastly, make this fellow a Fighter (Unbending ShieldInspired Discipline), Cipher (Psychovampiric Shield), or Paladin (Hands of Light) for a Resolve Inspiration. 

And there we go, the full 35 Resolve cap.  8)

Now the pertinent question is; assuming the full set of Hostile Effect Duration reducing gear, how much Resolve do you realistically need to neutrailze all hostile effects, or come as close to it as no matter?

• Like 1

Ah, thanks!

@Ascaloth: with 35 RES you will be at -75%. If additional effects stack additively then the Lone Wolf Ring (-35%) should already do the trick. You can even skip some RES then.

If it's multiplicative you can never reach 100% unless you are using Clarity (because of the -5 secs).

But 75% with 35% (Lone Wolf), 10%(Cabalist's Gambeson) and 10% (Strand of Favor) would lead you to ~87%. A 10 sec affliction would turn into a 1.3 sec afflicton. Already very nice.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Ah, thanks!

@Ascaloth: with 35 RES you will be at -75%. If additional effects stack additively then the Lone Wolf Ring (-35%) should already do the trick. You can even skip some RES then.

If it's multiplicative you can never reach 100% unless you are using Clarity (because of the -5 secs).

But 75% with 35% (Lone Wolf), 10%(Cabalist's Gambeson) and 10% (Strand of Favor) would lead you to ~87%. A 10 sec affliction would turn into a 1.3 sec afflicton. Already very nice.

Well in order to reach 35 RES you'd need to to equip Neriscyrlas' Hope, which means you can't use Strand of Favor at the same time. Otherwise, very nice.  :yes:

Okay, I think we should assume that the duration reduction stacking should be multiplicative, because it's how every other similar system in Deadfire works, and I don't think Obsidian would have overlooked this loophole (or if they did, we should expect it to be patched soon enough).

Regarding the build I have in mind, I'm starting to think I should run it by you, get your opinion on it. Do you want me to do it over PM, or to share it in this thread?

Oops - obviously. :lol:

I personally would like it if you opened a new thread with the test (that maybe leads to a build) so that everybody can add their two cents. You could put a link to here as well.

I'm flowing over with PMs... :)

Edited by Boeroer

I started this thread because everybody claimed Resolve was a dump stat while it seemed to have nice effects.

Truth is, Resolve is umpopular, but not underpowered, and this for 2 reasons :

- People prefer attack over defense.

- Resolve has increasing returns instead of diminushing ones, which makes it easy to dump and not very interesting to buff just a little. If you want just a bit of defenses, Con >> Res.

Now I'm pretty happy to see a build using very high Resolve.

Edited by Elric Galad

I believe there is also an aspect where Healing is much stronger in Deadfire than PoE1. As long as it is possible to out-heal dmg, being a complete damage sponge with no regards to Deflection is completely viable. Also there is also "Cannot die" mechanics present in Deadfire where it makes glass cannons attractive.

Edited by mosspit