So, shall we request more passive talents for casters?

A common complaint I've seen, and with which I'd tend to agree, is that caster classes don't have many passive talents to choose from. This especially hurts caster/caster multiclass combinations, but is also a general limitation casters face.

On the other hand, it is also true that caster classes are generally starved for ability points more than melee classes—and especially so Druids and Priests, who don't get to increase their spell counts via grimoires.

Whatever the case, with The Forgotten Sanctum being worked on, I believe this is our chance to request additional passive talents for caster classes.

A few ideas:

• A talent that increases AoE size.
  • An upgrade to the above that reduces the size of the friendly-fire AoE while leaving the overall AoE unchanged (this would probably be very popular.)
  • A talent that increases the duration of beneficial effects on allies.
  • A talent that increases the duration of negative effects on enemies.

The latter two could be rolled into the same talent but the magnitude should be relatively low to avoid making it too good. Perhaps it could then have an upgrade to increase the magnitude.

• A talent to increase spell damage.
  • A series of talents to increase accuracy with a specific subset of spells (based on school, keyword, theme, what have you.)
  • An upgrade to Far Casting and Rapid Casting to increase the effects further.

We also need a baleful version of Salvation of Time: A spell to increase the duration of existing afflictions/negative effects on enemies. ;)

Thoughts?

What talents would you like to see for casters?

Edited by AndreaColombo
  • Like 13

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

I think Martial with Passive and Caster without many Passives is a defining trait for classes.

Pure Casters have a lot of active abilities and a lots of cast per encounter. They can't have everything.

Furthermore, Casters probably don't need further buff.

And Wizard fast self-buff play a bit the role of passive for them.

But Baleful version of Salvation of time is a very good idea ^^

• Like 2

Cool ideas, but I think the talents need to be universal so if you're playing a caster/caster multiclass your talent point increases the AoE of both classes spells.

• Like 2

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

But well, a single distinctive PL VIII passive could be nice to distinguish a bit more Single Class Casters :-)

I wouldn't object to that, but as is multiclass casters are starved for points and there isn't synergy between subclasses so any talent would need to accommodate both classes to be worth spending a point on.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I think Martial with Passive and Caster without many Passives is a defining trait for classes.

Pure Casters have a lot of active abilities and a lots of cast per encounter. They can't have everything.

Furthermore, Casters probably don't need further buff.

And Wizard fast self-buff play a bit the role of passive for them.

But Baleful version of Salvation of time is a very good idea ^^

Druids need a big buff IMO

In there current state  they are just like a really weak wizard

i want more melee talants for casters who don't multiclass.  Caster had access to a lot of these abilities back in PoE1 even though some of them weren't that optimal. 

Huh. And I want a spell caster that doesn't run out of spells and has to resort to physical weapons to continue to do damage, because they're a, you know, spell caster.

In PoE1 that was a way to have a pseudo multi-class without really having multi-class.

Now you have multi-class.

Joe

How do you envision the move away from talent trees? Could you elaborate more on your idea?

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

An upgrade to Far Casting and Rapid Casting to increase the effects further.

I'd rather suggest we move away from talent trees and if those 2 aren't up to the task they should improve with character level.

AFAIK Wizards and Priest have no talents in trees, every talent is standalone. Druids have degenerated trees for Wildstrikes. Other classes have more trees but still most of their abilities are standalone. Do you want trees to be completely gone?

Vancian =/= per rest.

How do you envision the move away from talent trees? Could you elaborate more on your idea?

As I'm seeing it, since talent points is a limited resource making the player choose what is essentially the same talent multiple times is just not fun (although it can be mechanically effective). What needs to be done is to evaluate whether a given talent is good enough choice (more or less) throught the time you can select it till max level. If it isn't you don't create Greater/Better X talent, you make it so that this X talent scales at some fixed point(s) where appropriate.

Although, I suppose, as hilfazer mentioned it's more like lines in PoE2. D&D and its descendants seem to like feat trees for some reason. I don't, though.

Edited by tinysalamander

Pillars of Bugothas

• 1 month later...

Let’s hear it for new caster passives!

But more importantly, let’s hear it for the baleful version of Salvation of Time (Damnation of Time?) that extends debuff durations on enemies!

• Like 1

But more importantly, let’s hear it for the baleful version of Salvation of Time (Damnation of Time?) that extends debuff durations on enemies!

Your wish has been more or less granted.

The new Ranger Heart Seeker Tier 3 Constitution Debuff basically does this (more conveniently than perishing strike).

(of course, you have to apply Enfeeble before debuff, not after like a baleful Salvation of Time would do)