The current state of Spiritshifting: Ideas, reworks and more

Lots of things are changing - so is the Evolution Shifter! What i need is more feedback about balancing as the more stuff i put in the more complex everything gets. :biggrin:

The latest changes are:

• Added new PL 0 talent "Fractured Spirit" that makes the Shifter more vulnerable in Human Form
    • Added new PL 0 talent "Rabid" that makes the Shifter faster in animal form while suffering more damage
    • Added new PL 7 spell "Feral Impulse" that damages and stuns all enemies nearby
    • The PL 5 spell "Exoskeleton Plate" scales now with character level
    • Reduced bonus speed and damage of the PL 9 spell "Primal Beast" but slightly increased the health bonus
    • Slightly reduced the bonus attack speed of "Cat Flurry" from 33% to 25%
    • Changed the visual effect of "Primal Beast". The Shifter now transform into some brutish looking Ogre
    • Changed the visual effect of "Acid Spores"
    • Fixed some talent and ability entries

Thanks for your help! :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

As there is still no love for Shifters from Obsidian its up to us to change things in a "good way".

With other words: We are still working on the Shifter Evolution Mod and have changed A LOT.

New spells and talents went in, lots of numbers were tweaked, lots of test fights were done.

We also started adding Bonus Evolutions to please new players as well as veterans:

Druid Shifter: Evolution Mod

Feedback or ideas for new spells or talents are always welcome! ;)

Edited by Harpagornis

With (nearly) all new spells and abilities implemented the Shifter looks pretty awesome. Now it will be time for "a lot" of finetuning and balancing.

However: What we are missing is some kind of cool video footage. Is there anyone able and willing to do some showcase?

In my old days i just cant get in touch with this stuff. :biggrin:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The Shifter Mod has evolved a lot since the last post here and thanks to constant feedback it has become better and better.

Things we have accomplished so far:

- Added 22 unique talents for much more utility in combat

- Added 25 new spells and reworked many vanilla spells

- Each Animal Form gets four abilities and unique passives

- Multiple Shifts for each Animal Form that will reset abilities

- "Spiritshift Shark" with unique passives available at PL 3

- Added a spellcaster Form called "Natures Prophet" at PL 5

- Introduced the "Forest Lurker" at PL 7 with bouncing attacks

- Put in Mant2si´s idea of a really powerful Dragon Form at PL 9

- Added several optional files to give players maximum flexibility

- Added a german, polish and russian translation

Too bad the polish and russian translation are outdated as my community supporters moved on to other games. So if there is anybody who can update these: You are welcome!

We are also still lacking some kind of showcase videos that puts of some crazy shifting combos. So if there is anybody out there who is willing and able to do that: Would be great!

The last patches tried to rebalance lots of small things but we are always happy about new ideas for improvement. A spell or abiliity is missing? Just let us know what you want to see!

Edited by Harpagornis

Not caught up on this thread so pre apology if this has been answered. Is the equipment buff significant? Any really strong mid game equipment that helps? Do monk+shifter fists stack? Thinking if a shifter Monk or Shifter Barb would be an effective skirmisher in turned based. Though its supe tempting to just play some devoted/____ 2 hander class (devoted greatsword kind wayfinder was so strong i needed no healer). 

Edited by QuiteGoneJin

Shifters do not recieve any bonus from weapons or armor as they are using their own unique sets that scale with your character level and will get quite powerful in lategame.

Monk+Shifter fists do not stack but this combo is still pretty good. Devoted is one of my favourites and thanks to the mod its bonus will now work with animal weapons.

I do not recommend the turn-based-mode for this mod as so far the abilities - for whatever reason - seem to be broken and i dont know if i will get the time to fix them.

Good hunting! ;o)

I finally reworked the base damage of all animal forms to make them a little bit more unique:

- The Bear Claws now deal 15-21 crush/slash damage
- The Cat Claws now deal 11-17 slash/pierce damage
- The Boar Tusks now deal 13-19 slash/pierce damage
- The Stag Claws now deal 15-17 pierce/crush damage
- The Wolf Claws now deal 11-21 slash/pierce  damage
- Reduced the Dragon Claw damage from 16-26 to 16-22 crush/pierce

I also implemented a new feature so the size of all animal forms will scale with Power Level. This means: All "Elder Forms" grow for +10% while the "Dire Forms" grow +20% bigger. This fits well with our theme that the high tier forms not only get more powerful abilities but will now also look more badass.

Not to forget: The size of the "Forest Lurker" now also increases by +30% while its spellcasting ability will be disabled. Poor Lurker!

Good hunting! :dancing:

Edited by Harpagornis

• 3 weeks later...

After a lot of tweaking we finally released the "Ultimate Evolution" for all those crazy solo players who think that the new Shifter is far too powerful (yeah, he is to some degree). :w00t:

If you like to suffer +100% damage while only dealing 50% to all enemies this will be your new dream setting (or maybe a neverending nightmare)!  :devil:

But isnt this a complete overkill you say? Nope it isnt! We have tested the Mod until lategame and nearly all fights (except Megabosses) will be doable and - even better - should be really challenging. So expect to suffer "a bit" until exploring all those crazy combos that only the Shifter can pull of. Combat will be thrilling and will require some good planning but - hey - playing without getting sweat just isnt fun - no? :biggrin:

If you prefer to slay all opposition by just looking at them: Dont touch this! ;)

Edited by Harpagornis

Ill admit i scanned the thread as 13 pages was too much. So correct me if im wrong.

But Its like people want shifters to be shift forms only. Imo shifter druids are not aupposed to be melee classes in an animal form. They are supposed to be spell casters that can also shift into a melee form. Their spells are part of the kit. Its like removing a transmuters spells and turning his ogre form into the entire class. Not only is it boring but it removes the identity of the class.

Shifters ought to wrestle with the spells and animal forms for maximum effect. Its both the spells and forms together that makes them a druid.

Imo this is why obsidian doesnt touch their forms like everyone wants.

Yeah, you might be right @asnjas but we are not Obsidian and we dont have to reach specific sale numbers. As part of a huge modding community we are free to evolve a character - in this case the Shifter - into something we want him to be. :)

But why should a Bear or even a Dragon form not be a powerful melee combatant? I agree that the Mod pushes the limits very far making the Shifter a powerful fighter and a potent spell caster - thats why we started to tone him down in the last time while also offering several optional files so every player can decide on his own how big his powerlevel will be. There will always be people complaining about something but - hey - you dont have to play the mod. If the reworked Shifter does not suit your style: Pick something else and have fun with it. We on the other hand had tons of fun playing with the Ultimate Evolution (and Deadly Deadfire) as nearly every group fight was a walk on the knifes edge. However: Happy hunting! ;)

Edited by Harpagornis