[WIP] Ascendant Build for a Pro-Animancy Pro-Vallian Watcher

Hey guys, 

So, after talking to a few people, I decided that rather than focus on a Wizard build for my pro-Animancy, pro-Vallian Watcher (I'm seeking reactivity from the final DLC as well) I'd instead try an Ascendant Cipher instead, because I ultimately think the spells and effects, as well as weapon/armor choice are more interesting together (Weapons serve an actual purpose in combat and aren't just stat sticks for spellcasting). 

Race: Pale Elf

Culture: Old Vallia - Aristocrat

Class: Ascendant

Skills: Mechanics and Arcana with a splash of Stealth/Insight and Bluff with an investment in Metaphysics*

*One of my big weapons for this build is going to be the Essence Interruptor. I'm curious as to how much Metaphysics is required to max out the extra lash damage. 

Attributes:

22 Might (18 Base + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)
10 Con (8 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)
13 Dexterity (10 Base +1 Pale Elf +2 Berath's Blessing)
20 Perception (17 Base +1 Pale Elf +2 Berath's Blessing)
20 Intellect (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Old Vallia +1 Stone of Power)
8 Resolve (6 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Considering taking a few points out of Might (Down to 18 from 22) for 4 extra points in Dexterity. I'm not sure how much Might matters for a lot of Cipher damage spells. I could even drop Might down to 15 (After all bonuses are taken into account) for 20 Dexterity. What are your thoughts on this? 

Proficiencies: Most important - Pistols, Hunting Bows, Blunderbusses

Abilities: 

Level 1: Tenuous Grasp (It's a fairly consistent -20 Will Primer against non resistant foes that leaves them open for further Will attacks. 

Level 2: Whispers of Treason (Retrain to Penetrating Visions after getting Puppet Master)

Level 3: Mind Blades and Draining Whip

Level 4: Mental Binding

Level 5: Puppet Master and Hammering Thoughts

Level 6: Secret Horrors

Level 7: Mind Lance OR Silent Scream/Body Attunement*

Level 8: Combat Focus

Level 9: Ringleader and Borrowed Instinct

Level 10: Rapid Casting

Level 11: Amplified Wave and Disintegrate

Level 12: Farcasting

Level 13: Ancestor's Honor and Echoing Horror

Level 14: Tough

Level 15: Keen Mind

Level 16: Time Parasite and A Soul's Echo

Level 17: Defensive Mindweb

Level 18: Great Soul

Level 19: Death of 1000 Cuts and Shared Nightmare

Level 20: Haunting Chains

The only power I'm missing out on that I think would be worth going for is Eyestrike. I'd consider dropping Farcasting for that. 

*Body Attunement is mostly taken to ensure that my damage dealing powers penetrate. I'll be using food that will boost spell penetration, but I wanted another way to lower enemy armor. The big issue with that though is that it targets Fortitude, which means tougher frontline enemies won't be as easily affected, and those are the ones with armor I'd want to strip anyway. That said, a lot of my powers do Raw damage, which ignores armor anyway. 

Equipment: 

Food - Spell penetration food, assuming it applies to Cipher powers

Pets - Abraham, or another pet (Not sure what pet. I know there's one that increases AoE size and maybe spell damage)

Weapons: Essence Interruptor as a primary DPS weapon, with Kitchen Stove and Thundercrack Pistol as a secondary weapon set for frontloading Focus through Storm Rune Shot and Thunderous Report. 

Armor: Not sure! Miscreant's Leathers seems good, since I'm not sure if Cipher powers count as 'spells' for the purposes of the High Harbinger's Robes. Miscreant's Leathers, with the right pet, can achieve negative Recovery penalty. 

Neck: Stone of Power for +1 Intellect and extra PL (Could be used to counteract the Ascendant malus on long boss fights?)

Cloak: Cloak of Greater Protection or Greater Deflection

Helm: Rekvu's Fractured Casque, maybe. Otherwise, I'm not sure. Maybe the new helm from the DLC to increase the accuracy of my Affliction causing abilities. Or Acina's Tricorn for Reload speed and Ranged accuracy and penetration, as well as aesthetic.

Rings: Ring of the Marksman (Ranged Accuracy). Not sure for the second one - Ring of Greater Deflection, maybe? 

Hands: Not sure here. Bracers of Greater Deflection? 

Belt: Upright Captain's Belt for another source of Concentration. Alternatively Maker's Own Power for an extra Might point and an emergency button in case things get hairy. 

Boots: Bounding Boots - because as the lowest defense party member, enemies are going to be all kinds of likely to want to give me big hugs, and I'd rather avoid that if it all possible. 

A few other things...

1. I really want to be able to wear the female version of the Vallian Frock Coat on a male Pale Elf. Is there a way to rip that model and then do the thing where you drag enchantments from another piece of gear onto it? 

2. Any major suggestions regarding abilities/attributes/gear? 

Don't worry about this turning into another one of those "Cyrus posts like, a bajillion threads talking about different builds" things. After thinking about it, I've realized that Ascendant fits the inspiration for the character I'm wanting to play here a lot more. I'm currently searching through my mood music folder for when I create the Big Thread. 

• Like 1

Here we go again...

Well, j/k, fascinating that you seem to be interested in similar builds as me. I do think that a pure Ascendant might be one of the most FUN builds to play.

Empty Soul seems to be missing on your ability list. +10 accuracy against Will? That's like obligatory.

I see you did not pick Ectopsychic Echo. If you're gonna play in a party, you should, IMO. It's really pretty good. Even better if you have some chanter or someone who can summon some mobs behind enemy lines. 

Like you wrote, Eyestrike would sometimes be useful as well.

Abilities I'd NOT take on an Ascendant: Great Soul (MORE Empower? Why You can only use 1/encounter anyway), Keen Mind (10 Focus when you already have 200+? meh... you mostly cast when Ascended and then Focus is unlimited anyway).

Kinda meh: Combat Focus (Echoing Shield seems to be a far superior pick, that'd also help the whole party; you may also have a fighter with Unbending Shield), Farcasting, Tough, Defensive Mindweb (sad, but...).

Also Haunting Chains is kinda underwhelming for it's level&cost (single target). I'd probably pick Protective Soul or Prestige instead.

Pain Block is very party-friendly. Another pick that may be better then people give it credit is Mind Plague (Dazed is -4 Pen, usually means medium armor like DoC protects very well)

Also on weapon choice: Personally I definitely prefer firearms over bows. When Ascension goes on line, I want to start casting immediately, not wait for recovery.

I really like Red Hand.

Edited by Haplok
  • Like 1

Here we go again...

Well, j/k, fascinating that you seem to be interested in similar builds as me. I do think that a pure Ascendant might be one of the most FUN builds to play.

Empty Soul seems to be missing on your ability list. +10 accuracy against Will? That's like obligatory.

I see you did not pick Ectopsychic Echo. If you're gonna play in the party, you should, IMO. It's really pretty good. Even better if you have some chanter or someone who can summon some mobs behind enemy lines. 

Like you wrote, Eyestrike would sometimes be useful as well.

Abilities I'd NOT take on an Ascendant: Great Soul (MORE Empower? Why You can only use 1/encounter anyway), Keen Mind (10 Focus when you already have 200+? meh... you mostly cast when Ascended and then Focus is unlimited anyway).

Kinda meh: Combat Focus (Echoing Shield seems to be a far superior pick, that'd also help the whole party; you may also have a fighter with Unbending Shield), Farcasting, Tough, Defensive Mindweb (sad, but...).

Also Haunting Chains is kinda underwhelming for it's level&cost (single target). I'd probably pick Protective Soul or Prestige instead.

Pain Block is very party-friendly. Another pick that may be better then people give it credit is Mind Plague (Dazed is -4 Pen, usually means medium armor like DoC protects very well)

Also on weapon choice: Personally I definitely prefer firearms over bows. When Ascension goes on line, I want to start casting immediately, not wait for recovery.

I really like Red Hand.

I mostly went with Essence Interruptor because I have a 'thing' for dual damage type weapons, and I liked the enchants on it. I'll definitely put The Red Hand on the list of items to consider for the build - I didn't think about ignoring Recovery through just skipping reload. 

Updated Abilities

Level 1: Tenuous Grasp (It's a fairly consistent -20 Will Primer against non resistant foes that leaves them open for further Will attacks. 

Level 2: Whispers of Treason (Retrain to Penetrating Visions after getting Puppet Master)

Level 3: Mind Blades and Draining Whip

Level 4: Recall Agony

Level 5: Puppet Master (Retrain to Two-Handed Style after getting Ringleader) and Hammering Thoughts

Level 6: Secret Horrors

Level 7: Mind Lance OR Silent Scream/Body Attunement*

Level 8: Ectopsychic Echo

Level 9: Ringleader and Borrowed Instinct

Level 10: Rapid Casting

Level 11: Amplified Wave and Disintegrate

Level 12: The Empty Soul

Level 13: Ancestor's Honor and Echoing Horror

Level 14: Tough

Level 15: Echoing Shield

Level 16: Time Parasite and A Soul's Echo

Level 17: Accurate Empower

Level 18: Potent Empower

Level 19: Death of 1000 Cuts and Shared Nightmare

Level 20: Prestige (Or Protective Soul) - Prestige counters the Ascendant malus by existing, more or less

If I opt to go with Ydwin as another party member, I can have her bring Defensive Mindweb or any of the other support powers I didn't take here. That said, I'm more or less playing a better version of her, so probably not. 

As for stats, they're looking something like this...

18 Might (14 Base + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)

10 Con (8 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

20 Dexterity (17 Base +1 Pale Elf +2 Berath's Blessing)

20 Perception (17 Base +1 Pale Elf +2 Berath's Blessing)

20 Intellect (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Old Vallia +1 Stone of Power)

5 Resolve (3 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Took the seven points from Might and put them into Dexterity. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

If you're decided on going ranged, you may as well dump Resolve. It's not like it's doing much for you on PotD. While 3 more points in Might would come in handy. Might and Power Level are like the only ways to increase spell damage...

Empty Soul still missing btw.

Edited by Haplok

Fixed. 

Yeah, I'm thinking ranged is probably for the best. Guns seem a lot more fun than just using melee weapons again, and there's some nice enchantments to be had with them, especially with stuff like The Red Hand. 

The main thing turning me off of Wizard was just the fact that the weapons you used were more or less stat sticks, and you didn't really take them to complement the build in any real way. 

I'm holding out on Tough because that gets me 240 HP as opposed to somewhere in the ballpark of 190 or so. 

I'd probably just get either puppetmaster or Ringleader not both. I like the range on puppetmaster but ringleader is good because of aoe.

Other than that try to get Accurate empower instead of eyestrike and potent empower instead of something else liike tough but that is your choice. Those are up to you I just like to empower disintegrate or death 1000 to better land on bosses. Late game Recall Agony more useful than mental binding. Either way you either take mental binding for paralyze or charm/dominate spells to charm not both - that is a bit more efficient. 

Absolutely Dual Wield Fire in the Hole and Hand Mortar. Hitting in that big AoE will almost always fill your focus in one attack, and then its Ascendant time.

Do keep in mind, what I found playing Ascendant is I never wanted to use many of the crowd control or ally buffing spells, even though they are very good. When your in Ascended you kinda just feel like spamming your nukes to quickly annihilate enemies.

Absolutely Dual Wield Fire in the Hole and Hand Mortar. Hitting in that big AoE will almost always fill your focus in one attack, and then its Ascendant time.

Do keep in mind, what I found playing Ascendant is I never wanted to use many of the crowd control or ally buffing spells, even though they are very good. When your in Ascended you kinda just feel like spamming your nukes to quickly annihilate enemies.

Hmm, alright. Shame the enchantments kinda suck. Lots of good ranged options though.

Will look at powers after work.

I think that for a pure Ascendant other weapons like Red Hand might be superior. He can't launch full attacks with mortars and doesn't have any special afflction or DoT to apply with them and only has a modest damage boost from Whip (20%).

If you decide to go with Red Hand, Maia's Garb would be a pretty goo choice of light armor, as it would make you reload quite a bit faster.

Edited by Haplok

I think that for a pure Ascendant other weapons like Red Hand might be superior. He can't launch full attacks with mortars and doesn't have any special afflction or DoT to apply with them and only has a modest damage boost from Whip (20%).

Best weapon and I tested this extensively and it works in practice is up to about level 14 any good weapon will do like The Red Hand, a unique hunting bow or dual mortars or Frostseeker will be fast in getting to max focus, but after level 14 going into level 16+ the focus pool becomes large enough that only special attacks from unique weapons like Kitchen Stove, Thundercrack Pistol and Amira's Wing will generate 1 shot max focus consistently and basically on ascendent you are really gimped if you don't hit max focus as soon as possible and maintain it through an encounter. And especially because at those high levels other classes like monk, barbs and whatnot get some sick abilities and start to out damage you if you are not spamming nukes from the time combat starts to the end of combat.   

Also on ascendant you want to pump your Int through the roof...sac the companion max it in anyway possible like the more the better 25Int is good to aim for. It hursts your disintegrate burst damage but you make up for it by longer ascendant state and time parasite and borrowed instinct state which makes more than up for it.

Priest is you best friend ... he gives you acute inspiration at start of combat and once you hit ascendant+have time parasite and some buffs on he casts salvation of time on you and then it's gg. 

Edited by 1TTFFSSE
  • Like 1

Best weapon and I tested this extensively and it works in practice is up to about level 14 any good weapon will do like The Red Hand, a unique hunting bow or dual mortars or Frostseeker will be fast in getting to max focus, but after level 14 going into level 16+ the focus pool becomes large enough that only special attacks from unique weapons like Kitchen Stove, Thundercrack Pistol and Amira's Wing will generate 1 shot max focus consistently and basically on ascendent you are really gimped if you don't hit max focus as soon as possible and maintain it through an encounter. And especially because at those high levels other classes like monk, barbs and whatnot get some sick abilities and start to out damage you if you are not spamming nukes from the time combat starts to the end of combat.

Also on ascendant you want to pump your Int through the roof...sac the companion max it in anyway possible like the more the better 25Int is good to aim for. It hursts your disintegrate burst damage but you make up for it by longer ascendant state and time parasite and borrowed instinct state which makes more than up for it.

Priest is you best friend ... he gives you acute inspiration at start of combat and once you hit ascendant+have time parasite and some buffs on he casts salvation of time on you and then it's gg.

Who should I sac then? Aloth, because no one likes him?

Do you think Ascendant by itself is top tier ranged DPS? What do you recommend for armor?

Who should I sac then? Aloth, because no one likes him?

Do you think Ascendant by itself is top tier ranged DPS? What do you recommend for armor?

If you should sac someone it is up to you rp wise...just saying that pumping Int through the roof is a good idea.

As for second question it depends...it is certainly a very good ranged dps and a great rdps if played with precision. As i said if you use items to max focus instantly and stay ascended the whole encounter or as long as possible it is certainly top tier. Wizards have the advantage in that they can boost their action speed faster and easier through alacrity of motion while you still have to setup 1.)max focus 2.) borrowed instinct 3.) time parasite. Wizards will have the faster bigger opening spell bursts no matter what I think but after you set up the cipher it will have longer high sustained dps if you maintain ascendant state. Though in a well managed party at high level usually things just don't last that long. 

Edit: and also cipher are effective to op at high levels with the right party composition in a priest that buffs and extends buff duration on the cipher and with a brute tank or off tank who uses a morning star to lower fortitude on enemies and bosses. That leads to a situation where you can easily damage and prone lock the whole screen with amplified waves. 

Edited by 1TTFFSSE
  • Like 1

And of course that's a problem too. In a party, it almost doesn't matter what you play. I wish fights lasted long enough to matter. Hopefully not using custom adventurers helps some.

Cipher is still my top pick, though. Something else I'm curious about is how Cipher's onscreen presence is. How are the animations and audio for their spells compared to the other casters?

I'm not sure you need two-weapon. Bows, x-bows, arquebuses, rods are all two-handed. Unless you like the flavour.

And while Accurate empower seems reasonable (you do want that empowered Disintegrate/Death of 1000 cuts to land, Potent Empower seems like overkill for me and something that would only be slightly useful in major bossfights.

Edited by Haplok

I'm not sure you need two-weapon. Bows, x-bows, arquebuses, rods are all two-handed. Unless you like the flavour.

And while Accurate empower seems reasonable (you do want that empowered Disintegrate/Death of 1000 cuts to land, Potent Empower seems like overkill for me and something that would only be slightly useful in major bossfights.

Two-Weapon is for dual wielding Kitchen Stove and Thundercrack Pistol for their per-encounter/per-rest focus gain abilities. 

Two-Weapon is for dual wielding Kitchen Stove and Thundercrack Pistol for their per-encounter/per-rest focus gain abilities. 

You don't need it unless you are planning to auto attack with those weapons...but why should you? if you are in an auto attack situation it is better to switch to the red hand or a huning bow with the modal on

You don't need it unless you are planning to auto attack with those weapons...but why should you? if you are in an auto attack situation it is better to switch to the red hand or a huning bow with the modal on

Hrm, fair point. I'll grab Two-Handed then. 

Also, do you think there's any way a build like this would work in melee? Or are there no melee weapons that have such big focus generating attacks? 

Also, do you think there's any way a build like this would work in melee? Or are there no melee weapons that have such big focus generating attacks? 

Sure there is Whispers of the Endless Paths with that 1/encounter cleave attack and Espiers Estoc and even Wohai Poraga. But....in melee you will have to put on some breastplate probably and in general play more defensively or have a pocket healer handy. Overall if you are "stuck" in a situation where you have to Auto-Attack to gain focus I think no melee weapon auto-attacks beat auto attacks from Animancer Bow or Aamina's Legacy with the hunting bow modal on. If you have ring of marksman and Acina's Trihorn and even accuracy bracers equipped, which completely cancel the penalty from having hunting bow fast modal on. 

Sure there is Whispers of the Endless Paths with that 1/encounter cleave attack and Espiers Estoc and even Wohai Poraga. But....in melee you will have to put on some breastplate probably and in general play more defensively or have a pocket healer handy. Overall if you are "stuck" in a situation where you have to Auto-Attack to gain focus I think no melee weapon auto-attacks beat auto attacks from Animancer Bow or Aamina's Legacy with the hunting bow modal on. If you have ring of marksman and Acina's Trihorn and even accuracy bracers equipped, which completely cancel the penalty from having hunting bow fast modal on. 

Fair point. Ranged does seem to fit better, especially with the Bounding Boots for getting out of the way.