Unity Engine Network/Game-Crashing Bug

IlyaP

Question

Hi Devs, 

Came across a developer comment today while researching possible solutions to the game-crashing bug I've been experiencing of late (disabling my net connection is the only way I can play PoE1/2). I suspect this bug is at the heart of my problems. 

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/incredibly-slow-loading-times-workaround-available.981444/

As Dan (an Obsidian coder) explained:

We've determined that there is a Unity issue that was fixed for Pillars of Eternity, but has since regressed to a non-working state in the newer version of Unity we're using for Tyranny. The problem is that the mechanism we're using to load character portrait art (and potentially a few other things) from disk can also be used to download files from servers. Because of this, Unity queries the Windows Proxy Settings for the currently logged-in user prior to deciding that it needs to load the file from disk instead.

On some users' machines, the contents of the Windows Network Connections will include entries generated by third-party software such as LogMeIn Hamachi and VMWare. The Windows function that Unity uses to get the Proxy Settings for the user tends to hang for long periods of time if it encounters one of those third-party network connections. It's probably not able to get what it wants and just ends up waiting for a timeout. I suggest looking in Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center to see if there are any network connections added by third-party software. If there are, try disabling them to see if it fixes the problem. Please let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Dan

I've attached two screenshots of my current network configuration settings, as well as my most recent output log. Am happy to make any and all configuration changes you recommend.

Thank you ever so kindly in advance for your time and attention!

Kind regards, 

Ilya

post-215171-0-98434400-1536039037_thumb.png

post-215171-0-76509100-1536039043_thumb.png

output_log.txt

8 answers to this question

Hello Ilya,

I'm sorry for the crashes you've been having while trying to play and thank you for putting this all together.  I'll put a report together and give it to the Programming team so they can investigate this issue and see about any fixes or settings that may help.  If you discover anything else about this, feel free to add it to this thread as I will be linking it for the programmers to use as a reference.

Would you also be able to provide a couple of crash logs when the crashes occur?  The output_log.txt file is super helpful, but the crash logs provide different information that can also prove useful.  If needed you can find instructions on where to find these here.  You can either provide a link to your files via Dropbox or you may attach them to an email for us at support@obsidian.net. If you do email us, please link this post and mention your forum username so that we may identify you easily.

Thank you Ilya, and sorry for the inconveniences the crashes are causing.

Thanks for getting back to me SChin. 

I really don't mind the crashing - I am very understanding of the complexities of game development (having previously worked in the industry) and know that it's not possible to check/test every single possible hardware/router/memory/driver/etc. configuration, and that bugs will happen. So am more than happy to help. 

Will send an email with my post details, username, handle, et al, as you requested. Would it help you if I attached screenshots of the memory usage in Task Manager as well? 

Cheers, 

Ilya

Hey Ilya!

Anything you have will be useful!  They already took a look at the information you provided and tweaked some things that may help, but that is something that still needs to be tested and may not be in the game until the end of the month.  In the meantime, the Programming team recommended disabling Telemetry to see if that helps.  You can find that in the Game tab of the Options menu and just uncheck it.

Let us know if that helps :)

How'd you like some good news in your day? :)

A combination of disabling IPv6 and disabling Telemetry seems to have fixed the problem! 

Whilst I know the idea behind the random assortment of numbers generated by IPv6 protocols is meant to assist in protecting users, I suspect it might have also been causing PoE 2 grief. 

I can happily confirm that PoE1 is now also working properly and doesn't lock up either - I loaded a save game and ran around Dyrwood for several minutes with no problem (usually the game locks up within about 30 seconds). 

That said: PoE2's option to quit directly to desktop seems unstable; I had to instruct Windows 10 to close the game (now that I've managed to get it working). Not sure if that's a bug you're currently investigating? 

But - hey, at least you can note down that there appears to be a correlation between IPv6 protocols, the telemetry option, and the game locking up! 

And now I can finally, happily play PoE2 (I honestly didn't mind waiting, as I've stated elsewhere in a different thread - I know these games are complex environments and systems, and that issues are to be expected. And if being one of the Affected means I can help you fix/improve the game - I am more than happy to do so!)

Hey Ilya!

That is amazing news!  Thank you for sharing, I'll be sure to let Programming know the result!  The failure to close to desktop is a known issue for some users and is something the Programming team is still working on unfortunately.  We are super appreciative of your patience while dealing with the crashing issues and hope that the rest of your adventure in the Deadfire is smooth sailing!  If any other problems arise, please let us know and we will get on it as soon as we can.

Thanks again Ilya!

I like to be a good client. There's always more to learn from both sides, and I think bug hunting is fun! It's why I used to work in the industry, and would do so again if there were any such roles available in Sydney! 

Am always happy to help, as resolving bugs is to me like a good Sherlock Holmes style mystery! :)

I tried this work around this morning.  I'm running Win 7 and don't have the "Internet Adapter Multiplexor Protocol" as a choice for my WiFi, so I turned off the IvP6 on WiFi instead.  Also turned off the in game Telemetry, as cited above. This definitely works:  I played for an hour with no crashes, when before I couldn't go 5 minutes w/o a crash.  Only problem I had was that I also had the failure to close to desktop, which is no big deal at this time.  I will test the solution on my Asus Win10 laptop later today.

• Like 2