[WIP] Pure Wizard Build for Lore/Metaphysics/the Archmage DLC - Thoughts and Critique?

Hey guys!

So, my Berserker/Devoted is currently carving out a path in the Deadfire and eagerly anticipating Seeker, Slayer, Survivor and further chances to prove his mettle - but I wanted to take a look at a character that might have a bit more to do in the third DLC - as it heavily features Eora's Archmages - as well as the more story-centric sections of the Beast of Winter. So, I decided to try my hand at rolling a pure Wizard - a Vallian scientist/spy with silver skin and a silver tongue. Yup, we're revisiting a very old Pale Elf concept of mine - but this time with access to overwhelming destructive power. Gods help us all. 

The character: 

Race: Pale Elf (Taken largely for flavor - I want to see how this sort of character would get along with folks like Ydwin and Vatnir, as well as some of the other characters in the Beast of Winter). 

Class: Wizard (No Subclass) - I might consider Evoker, but that's not worth losing access to Bitter Mooring or Frozen Pillar. 

Background/Culture: Old Vallia/Aristocrat (Makes sense for a VTC-aligned character

Attributes:

22 Might (18 Base + 1 Gift of the Machine +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Permanent Stat Boost)
10 Con (8 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)
15 Dexterity (10 Base +1 Pale Elf +2 Berath's Blessing +2 Firethrower's Gloves)
20 Perception (17 Base +1 Pale Elf +2 Berath's Blessing)
20 Intellect (16 Base +2 Berath's Blessing +1 Old Vallia +1 Stone of Power)
8 Resolve (6 Base +2 Berath's Blessing)

Abilities: 

(g) - Grimoire (Ninagauth's Teachings)

Level 1: (g) Fan of Flames/(g) Slicken/Chill Fog

Level 2: Wizard's Double

Level 3: (g) Curse of Blackened Sight/(g) Ray of Fire/Infuse With Vital Essence/Merciless Gaze

Level 4: Two Weapon Style

Level 5: (g) Ninagauth's Death Ray/(g) Fireball/Llengrath's Displaced Image/Combat Focus

Level 6: Deleterious Alacrity of Motion

Level 7: (g) Ninagauth's Shadowflame/(g) Wall of Flame/Pull of Eora/Scion of Flame

Level 8: Secrets of Rime 

Level 9: (g) Ninagauth's Bitter Mooring/(g) Torrent of Flame/Rapid Casting/Blast of Frost

Level 10: Ironskin

Level 11: (g) Death Ring/(g) Ninagauth's Freezing Pillar/Chain Lightning/Arcane Reflection

Level 12: Expose Vulnerabilities 

Level 13: (g) Ninagauth's Killing Bolt/(g) Delayed Fireball/Tayn's Chaotic Orb/Substantial Phantom

Level 14: Dimensional Shift

Level 15: (g) Wilting Wind/(g) Major Grimoire Imprint/Kalakoth's Freezing Rake/Wall of Many Colors

Level 16: Great Soul

Level 17: Tough

Level 18: Ryngrim's Enervating Terror

Level 19: (g) Meteor Shower/(g) Cloak of Death/Minoletta's Missile Salvo/Petrification

Level 20: ----

Equipment: 

Weapons - Not sure. There's a lot of options here. Eccea's Arcane Blaster apparently doesn't suck anymore? Alternatively, I could go with Sun and Moon, though I think that's been nerfed. Chromoprismatic Quarterstaff is good too - it adds to the PL of all of my elemental spells. 

Armor: Miscreant's Leathers - For style, and for negative recovery with Abraham. Kidney Guard for protection against Flanked/Disengagement attacks and Lucky for a 5% chance for attacks to just miss. 

Pet: Abraham

Grimoires: Ninagauth's Teachings as my primary offensive Grimoire, but then things like Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry and Llengrath's Martial Masteries as well. 

Rings: Ring of Focused Flame and Kuaru's Prize

Neck: Stone of Power

Cloak: Cloak of Greater Protection or Cloak of Greater Deflection

Helm: Rekvu's Fractured Casque I guess, for immunity to interrupts on carrying an injury.

Belt: Upright Captain's Belt or the Maker's Own Power

Gloves: Firethrower's Gloves

Boots: Not really sure. Boots of the Stone, probably, for lack of anything better to pick. 

Don't worry - I'm playing through on my Barbarian character. This guy is just here to pick more of the smarmy/talky options, while my Barbarian is more likely to glare silently. Plus, I feel like a Wizard who struck a deal with Llengrath and who hasn't left a trail of dead Archmages in his wake has a chance to get a little bit more interactivity out of the Archmage DLC than one who has. 

Edited by Cyrus_Blackfeather

Nice thing about wizard's is there is very little limiting how you build it. You can always use multiple grimoire's to suit whatever occasion and you'll be very powerful almost no matter what. Even though you'll be able to use Fleet Feet and DAOM, the low dex makes me shudder. If your willing to drop con/res some more, I would. But that's me.

Gear wise a common practice is to heavily prioritize +fire PLs. Dual wield Magran's Favor and Sun and Moon, plus certain pets add to this. If I remember right you can boost Fire powerlevel by like +11. Then cast Meteor Storm......and win.

Nice thing about wizard's is there is very little limiting how you build it. You can always use multiple grimoire's to suit whatever occasion and you'll be very powerful almost no matter what. Even though you'll be able to use Fleet Feet and DAOM, the low dex makes me shudder. If your willing to drop con/res some more, I would. But that's me.

Gear wise a common practice is to heavily prioritize +fire PLs. Dual wield Magran's Favor and Sun and Moon, plus certain pets add to this. If I remember right you can boost Fire powerlevel by like +11. Then cast Meteor Storm......and win.

15 is low? What would you say would be a "high" Dexterity? 

15 is low? What would you say would be a "high" Dexterity? 

Suppose I tend to think of that more as 13 dex. I don't typically count gear bonuses when assigning attributes for myself. That's just me.

@op

You overthinking it.

Currently, as the game stands you will be able to break the game even on the hardest difficulties with any wizard build. After you hit level 14 the game becomes a cakewalk

Is it really that bad? I was kind of hoping that it'd at least be fun, having access to all of those high level spells like Cloak of Death and Wall of Many Colors. Plus, narratively, I feel like there might be more reactivity out of the last DLC for a wizard than a Barbarian-pirate. 

It's very fun, don't listen to haters. First island is rough because you have very little spells, but after you get some levels, the game becomes fun. DEX, PER and INT are all more important than MIG though. I highly recommend Leap boots (it's not very fun when the boss decides that it's time for a Wizard snack). For weapons, the best combo is Griffon's Blade + Sun and Moon, later you can use the Chronolongnameiforgot Staff if you prefer. You don't need Bitter Mooring and Frozen Pillar, go Evoker. Whitewitch Mask was my headgear of choice, for improved survivability; don't expect that you will never get hit. I prefer pets that improve my spellcasting (I believe I was using a cat with AoE and damage) so consider using a robe (the DLC one is very good).

It's very fun, don't listen to haters. First island is rough because you have very little spells, but after you get some levels, the game becomes fun. DEX, PER and INT are all more important than MIG though. I highly recommend Leap boots (it's not very fun when the boss decides that it's time for a Wizard snack). For weapons, the best combo is Griffon's Blade + Sun and Moon, later you can use the Chronolongnameiforgot Staff if you prefer. You don't need Bitter Mooring and Frozen Pillar, go Evoker. Whitewitch Mask was my headgear of choice, for improved survivability; don't expect that you will never get hit. I prefer pets that improve my spellcasting (I believe I was using a cat with AoE and damage) so consider using a robe (the DLC one is very good).

Alright, thanks man. Thankfully I'll have Eder and Xoti to help get past the first island. 

And by the DLC robe, do you mean Vatnir's? Definitely looks good - that's 15% bonus damage fully upgraded with Kuaru's Prize (AKA, 5 Might insofar as damage goes). I just wish there were a way to glamour different pieces of gear, because that looks a little too shamanistic for the character I was going for. 

I like the attributes, it's more or less what I do on my wizards (and I'm the most invested in wizard builds by far). 

As for abilities, those are up to personal preference, but I basically always have space for fire + ice penetration and will resist. You also really want the cast speed and range talents, those are super. 

What's two weapon fighting doing there? You won't be auto-attacking. If you pick a weapon talent, pick weapon and shield style. Early PotD shield is extremely good for survivability. Later you can change to a 2h or 1h+1h stat sticks for casting.

A personal favorite of mine is Griffin's Blade for the spellpower enchant that works with non-elemental damage like all Missile spells and Wilting Wind, your top tier T8 and T9 spells.

Edited by Clerith

I like the attributes, it's more or less what I do on my wizards (and I'm the most invested in wizard builds by far). 

As for abilities, those are up to personal preference, but I basically always have space for fire + ice penetration and will resist. You also really want the cast speed and range talents, those are super. 

What's two weapon fighting doing there? You won't be auto-attacking. If you pick a weapon talent, pick weapon and shield style. Early PotD shield is extremely good for survivability. Later you can change to a 2h or 1h+1h stat sticks for casting.

A personal favorite of mine is Griffin's Blade for the spellpower enchant that works with non-elemental damage like all Missile spells and Wilting Wind, your top tier T8 and T9 spells.

Didn't know if the action speed boost applied to spellcasting or not. 

What would be some good 'stat sticks' then? People seem to suggest Magran's Favor and Sun and Moon quite a bit. 

@op

You overthinking it.

Currently, as the game stands you will be able to break the game even on the hardest difficulties with any wizard build. After you hit level 14 the game becomes a cakewalk

Is it really that bad? I was kind of hoping that it'd at least be fun, having access to all of those high level spells like Cloak of Death and Wall of Many Colors. Plus, narratively, I feel like there might be more reactivity out of the last DLC for a wizard than a Barbarian-pirate.

Its worse then what you think. The balncing is in complete ruin on the later levels. I highly advise you dont use any betaths blessings , play

With non min- maxed companions and use a difficulty mod

Well, I don't play a wizard, but I  would not say it's so bad. At level 15 I'm still getting solid challenges. Of course I've rushed to end-game content to get a certain artifact early, so maybe now most of the side-content will be easy. But... I'd not say its all piss easy.

Didn't know if the action speed boost applied to spellcasting or not. 

What would be some good 'stat sticks' then? People seem to suggest Magran's Favor and Sun and Moon quite a bit. 

Watershaper's Focus from Teheku for ice/air spells. Magran's Favor or Sun and Moon for fire. Griffon Blade for all spell damage, and Chromoprismatic staff late game is very nice, and too me I just like the roleplaying aspect of it. My pure caster wizard dual wielding a sword and battle axe makes me cringe.

Keep in mind you don't have to Empower a Missile Salvo every single fight either, nothing says you have to break the game by using the most OP spells possible. One fun aspect of wizard in both poe games is trying out different spell combos to see what works good. Besides, imo a wizard that is reaching archmage type levels of power (level 8-9 spells) should feel really powerful.

Alright, thanks man. Thankfully I'll have Eder and Xoti to help get past the first island. 

And by the DLC robe, do you mean Vatnir's? Definitely looks good - that's 15% bonus damage fully upgraded with Kuaru's Prize (AKA, 5 Might insofar as damage goes). I just wish there were a way to glamour different pieces of gear, because that looks a little too shamanistic for the character I was going for. 

Yes, that robe. Sometimes you have to choose between power and looks :)

Go for the High Harbinger Robe, Skaen Effigies Husk or Miscreants. Those are the best dps option. If you want to sacrifice dps for looks you go for Gipon Prusensco (very elegant and classy) or Garari (also can look cool with nice shades like blacks and greys but is not a robe unfortunately). 

If you want ultimate fashion deadfire just go with dancers outfit non skimpy one or the Vaillain Frock Coat lol. 

And Modal swap is really easy with unity console where you just copy the enchantments of the armor to any other armor but I would suggest using the same base armor type like leather and leather or clothing and clothing otherwise it is a complete modification and creation of a nonexistent armor. 

Edited by 1TTFFSSE

I just finished a playthrough on potd with a wizard, and I would suggest picking up Arkemyr's Capricious Hex instead of arcane reflection. ACH is great CC, better than Tayn's in my opinion, and I found my wizard was almost never targeted by spells so arcane reflection is kind of useless. What would happen instead was that enemies would just ignore all my other characters at the beginning of combat and rush the wizard. Especially during ship battles this was highly frustrating. Get the boots of leap (and DAOM, which you already have) to mitigate this. 

At the later levels, other than the obvious missile salvo and wilting wind I also found the wall of many colors to be very useful and would prioritize it over ACH on boss mobs. You might also consider picking up concussive missiles, which has great synergy with pull of eora. 

Edited by Logos

"Of all the kids in The Breakfast Club, Ally Sheedy would be the first one to sense Cthulhu's coming." -Patton Oswalt 

I just finished a playthrough on potd with a wizard, and I would suggest picking up Arkemyr's Capricious Hex instead of arcane reflection. ACH is great CC, better than Tayn's in my opinion, and I found my wizard was almost never targeted by spells so arcane reflection is kind of useless. What would happen instead was that enemies would just ignore all my other characters at the beginning of combat and rush the wizard. Especially during ship battles this was highly frustrating. Get the boots of leap (and DAOM, which you already have) to mitigate this. 

At the later levels, other than the obvious missile salvo and wilting wind I also found the wall of many colors to be very useful and would prioritize it over ACH on boss mobs. You might also consider picking up concussive missiles, which has great synergy with pull of eora. 

Thanks for the feedback! I never even thought of using that - but you're right. It is a much better debuff. Wall of Many Colors is another really good choice - it procs some really nasty status effects.

Right now it's seeming like I shouldn't go Evoker, just to have the most well-rounded experience. 

I don't suggest you to go with pure wizard, at the end you will cast 1 or 2 same spell over and over again. Nalpazca / Wizard will be much funnier 

I just don't like having to wait that long for seventh level spells, and lose out on things like Wall of Many Colors or Meteor Shower.

So, my initial testing has been kind of plagued by the animation loop bug that's been cropping up, but I've noticed that my hits tend to be pretty big, but I run into problems as far as penetration is concerned. I suppose that's what things like Expose Vulnerabilities are supposed to be for, but still, 10-12 Penetration seems somewhat low.