Hey guys, this is my first time playing Pillars, I have XP with RPG's (Baldur's, NWN, Fallout's + I'm an D&D Master, so I'm playing on Hard).

I created a Meadow Folk Aedyr Dissident Wizard, and since I wanted to roleplay I tried to not min/max attributes (I was also very lucky to discover that Might wasn't STR otherwise my wizard might have gotten that attribute below 10). I have Mig: 12, Con: 9, Dex: 13, Per: 14, Int: 15, Res: 12

I only got a 15 in Intelligence, because it was only used for AoE and Duration of Spells, which didn't sound very appealing.. Also I didn't want to get low Resolve, since a Watcher and a Leader needs to have this atribute above average.

Well, my first mate was Aloth, which wasn't great (2 wizard seemed really squishy), luckily I then grabbed Eder, later Durance and after that Kana. I'm lvl 5 atm and going down to Endless Paths of Od Nua 6 after killing the drake, though I should probably go to Defiance Bay (haven't been there yet).

Now, I would like to know two thinkgs:

1) Is it possible to use my mage as a Spellsword? I want to differentiate it from Aloth (which I want to do the CC) since now both mages look very similar (both have Arcane Assault and Scepter, and a Rapier as a 2nd weapon. I got talents in Blast & One Handing Style and Aloth in Blast and Weapon Focus: Noble. If it's possible, can you link a spellsword build?

Also, Aloth is using his Armor which has like 30% recovery and I'm using Rundl's FInery (15% recovery but +2 Int). But If I want him to do CC and me to do some rapier work, I should change those items, right?

If Spellsword isn't recommended with those stats, what is?

2) I like my party, having Durance is a little like having Edwin in BG1. He restores endurance and does some dmg (I'm still using his staff and robe and the talents I took were Brilliant Radiance and Inspiring Radiance). Eder tanks everything (Weapon & Shield + Hold the Line with Ilfan Byrngar's Solace and Resolution or Gaun's Share & Larder Door. Me and Aloth do some dmg. And Kana chants, summoning stuff (Ancient Memory + Beloved Spirits, and he either gets the 3 skeletons, the white worms and has some cc on The Thunder Rolled..) with Justice as his double handed sword. But I noticed their stats are somehow polarized, so I was trying to get best builds for them. Is there any guide for their best talents and abilities?

Thanks!!!

Edited by Kvelend

Read up on Wizard and chanter builds in the List post pinned at the top of this forum.  They are for MCs, but they will help a lot with the Companions.

Several different styles of fight wizards in the List.

Among chanters, the selection of sample builds is not as broad, but I suspect that something like The Drake's Ambassador may serve your Kana very well. At any rate, Boeroer is one of the best character builders to frequent these forums.  The insights he gives in explaining his build and answering question in the thread will help you.

• Like 1

Certainly pick any stats you want from a roleplay perspective, but for a powerful wizard Might, dex, perc, and int are king. Don't under value duration and aoe. Hit more targets and make your CCs last much longer. Perc to make sure your stuff lands(although this is very easy to buff) dex to speed you up, and might to make sure you hit hard.

• Like 1

Thanks guys!

I already respecced all of my party except Durance.

I'm working on a variant of the Drake's Ambassador for Kana.

For Eder, I'll try something similar to The Unstoppable Wave by Elric Galad (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/91836-class-build-the-unstoppable-wave-siege-breaker-fighter/)

My MC was respecced (w/o min/maxing) to try something like The Skeletor by Mlok (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/88000-class-build-the-skeletor-spellcaster-and-spellbreaker/)

And Aloth Will be similar to another of Boeroer's guides: Zeblastian Hurtstacker (http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/83681-class-build-zeblastian-hurtstacker-autoattacking-double-trouble-dps-wizard/)

My only doubts are regarding Durance. He has 9 Dex and Per, so he doesn't only attack/cast slowly, but also misses a lot. So I'm unsure about putting him on a plate and have him slowly attack with his staff, or make him cast slowly from the background with a ranged weapon.

I would like to keep him in character as much as I can, since he has an interesting persona like Eder (I think of Kana and Aloth more like blank slates).

But idk if leaving him in his robes and making him a slow casting fire priest which does melee with a staff is gonna be useful for my party.

I'll probably grab Pallegina and make her more tanky, since Eder is going for double weapon, but idk what I'll do with Durance. Perhaps I'll switch him for Hiravias and be done, since his stats seem much worse when compared to the rest.

Thanks again!!

Edited by Kvelend

Ya man, welcome to POE. It's an outstanding game imo. I grew up on BGs, NWN, IWD, etc.

Sounds like your more into roleplaying your character which will work just fine for you. Wizards are insanely powerful btw, so you'll be set for whatever. If you want some advice on powerful spells and stuff I'm game. I'm actually slowly replaying POE1 with a wizard right now. Can be fun to experiment and try stuff out though as well.

• Like 1

Enchanting to Fine level, and lashes, and special enemy focus, uses fairly commonly available ingredients.

Enchanting to Exceptional hinges mainly on acquiring vithrack brains, which is a moderately rare thing to acquire yourself, except on a deepish level of The Endless paths, or during a couple of quite tough mid-to-late-game Bounty adventures.  Plus, in some encounters you may want to talk rather than try to collect all the available brains.

Luckily, a trickle of vithrack brains tends to show up off and on in the restored Curio Shop at Caed Nua, and in the storage chest for estate products in the Treasury off the Main Hall of Caed Nua.  Occasionally at other incredients vendors.  For something so relatively rare, the price at the Curio Shop and other vendors is not bad.

It is worth it to transfer/purchase vithrack brains into your Stash whenever you can.  When you have a few, start enchanting, first, all of your own unique gear, then all of your Companions unique gear up to Exceptional. (Only armor, weapons, and shields can be up-enchanted.)

The key components to take gear up to Superb are truly rare and hard to come by.  You may get one or two of the final components after some of the hardest fights in the game (as in, dragons and archmages).  So, once you have one or two of those super special ingedients in your Stash, consider very carefully what items you want to take to the Superb level.  Remember, there ARE some late game unique and already Superb items, some of which you may feel compelled to switch up to once you get them.  You don't want to find yourself in the position of upgrading your trusty old breastplate to Superb, in the process using up one of your two chances at a Superb enchantment, then two maps later deciding you need to switch to the Superb Full Plate armor you just discovered.

If you ever get the chance to enchant anything to the Legendary level, count yourself very, very lucky to have received the oh-so-scarce power ingredient.  Think very, very carefully what you will upgrade.  At best, you will only get one or two opportunities to do this.

Hope that helps.

Edited by dreamrider