Deadfire seems to have topped the sales charts on GOG

https://www.thestar.com.my/tech/tech-news/2018/08/08/weekly-pc-download-charts-no-mans-sky-monster-hunter-world-depose-pubg/

Good news i suppose.

Also seems to be selling well on gamersgate.

I wish we had more transparency from steam. I usually check the topsellers on steam evey now and then and deadfire does not appear to be consistenty sitting in the top 100. This is very strange if it is topping gogs charts. I must admit steams sales charts are very frustrating to interpret for these purposes.

I am only interested in this data to see how well the game is selling because i want a poe3.

Edited by Teclis23
  • Like 4

Interesting, though it doesn't surprise me. There has been a movement away from Steam amongst a subset of PC gamers on the grounds that Steam is bad in a variety of ways, and GOG is probably the main alternative for these people. In addition to what house2fly says (which I agree with), I suspect that Deadfire is probably more popular amongst this group than amongst the population as a whole (old school CRPG fans are more likely to be the sort of people who will leave Steam on ethical grounds).

I look forward to hearing news from Obsidian itself on how well Deadfire has done. I am quite willing to believe it hasn't done as well as Pillars, but I strongly suspect the news of its failure will turn out to have been grossly exaggerated.

• Like 4

no i just think there are alot more bigger titles on steam

That's because GOG has a no-DRM policy and that cuts into profit by enabling easy piracy.
As If sharing same gamę with friends?

I remember CD project stating that overwhelming amount of people torrented a cracked steam copy of W2 instead of gog installer of W2 even those the gog version was pretty much what you would get if you bought a legit copy.

Whenever DRM is effective is something which I really wondered about. Game torrented doesn’t mean that a sale was lost.

• Like 4

It does not? Because I'm pretty sure that if you torrent a game, the developers don't earn a dime ;)

Nor do they if you do not torrent a game, but do not buy it either. And no matter how hard triple-A greedy corporate types try to brainwash gullible consumers into believing that 1 download = one lost sale, it is not true. 

• Like 10

I'd just assume people who are into RPG's are more likely to buy a game on GoG as opposed to steam.

No. When Brian Fargo was asked about 'Torment Tides of Numenera' sales outside Steam he said they were "negligible".

Here...

We should talk about sales. Everyone can look them up for Steam. It's currently sitting around 120,000. Can you tell us how many copies were sold from other distribution sources?

Brian: Negligible.

Also, you can always look up financial data for GOG because it is a part of the CD Projekt capital group which is a publicly listed stock company at the Warsaw Stock Exchange. GOG is very small. They have an annual revenue of approximately PLN169million (i.e. about €40 million or US$46 million).

Steam numbers are not officially available but Steam revenue is estimated to be around US$4 billion/year (2017). That is one hundred times more revenue than GOG.

Steam is making that $4bn revenue from a catalogue of ~7600 games while GOG has roughly 2600 games listed at their $46m revenue, i.e. Steam "only" has 3x the number of games but 100x the revenue.

According to their financial reports, GOG's "most important product" was GWENT: The Witcher Card Game in the first half of 2018. The GOG segment actually posted a loss for the first half of 2018 (in all of 2017 they made a modest profit of ~US$4.3 million).

The loss in the first half of 2018 is mostly attributed to unfavorable exchange rates. The total GOG sales revenue in the first half of the year 2018 was ~US$17 million (the second half will be stronger, as usual for the video games market, and GOG will probably return into profitable territory).

So, all in all, it is very doubtful that they are moving any significant volume of copies on GOG. If a game makes the no. 1 spot on GOG in the charts then we don't really know what it means in raw numbers but logic and research (like the GOG financial data, statements of CD Projekt or of people like Brian Fargo) dictates it can not be all that much. They are a tiny little mouse compared to the Steam elephant.

*Disclaimer: Before anyone accuses me of being a Steam fanboy: I bought a Steam *and* a GOG *and* a hard copy of the Obsidian Edition to support single player RPGs :) . I have no beef with GOG. I own a significant number of games on their platform. But the facts are the facts. They are, as Brian Fargo put it, close to "negligible" in the grand scheme of the multi billion $$$ video games market with their annual $46 million revenue and $4 million profit (2017 numbers).

As much as many of us (myself included) would like to see a real Steam competitor in them, well, they're not even close to becoming one. They are about 1/100th the size of Steam if Steam sales revenue estimates are accurate and they have a looooong way to go.

Edited by Moriendor
  • Like 2

I don't know what percentage of sales are made on gog, but I remember not long before the Deadfire fig campaign began I saw Pillars 1 on steamspy with about 900k copies sold. There's no data on gog sales but if Pillars had sold a million copies total by that time Obsidian would have been shouting it from the rooftops

I have been tracking it pretty weekly on Steam, it rarely falls out of the top 50 selling RPG games, not sure about the overall boards.  It has a consistent 82 percent approval rating that hasn't moved in months which is better than Final Fantasy 15, Battletech and a majority of other games that are also in the Top 50.  It also has over 3,500 total reviews and they keep going up monthly.  The original Pillars has like 7,000 and something. 

I don't know, was it a blockbuster success?  It is definitely selling.  Interesting about that sales article it is a month old now.

• Like 7

“How do you 'accidentally' kill a nobleman in his own mansion?"

"With a knife in the chest. Or, rather, a pair of knives in the chest...”

The Final Empire, Mistborn Trilogy

I have been tracking it pretty weekly on Steam, it rarely falls out of the top 50 selling RPG games, not sure about the overall boards.  It has a consistent 82 percent approval rating that hasn't moved in months which is better than Final Fantasy 15, Battletech and a majority of other games that are also in the Top 50.  It also has over 3,500 total reviews and they keep going up monthly.  The original Pillars has like 7,000 and something. 

I don't know, was it a blockbuster success?  It is definitely selling.  Interesting about that sales article it is a month old now.

Excelent. Bring PoE3!

• Like 3

sign.jpg

So how does the first game fare on that chart?

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

Just checked Steam and currently Deadfire is:

380th top selling game

97th top selling RPG

Where are you getting that from? I've done a search on Steam for games with the tag RPG and ordered by top seller (here's a link, although I don't know whether it'll work properly: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=122&filter=topsellers&page=2) and Deadfire appears in the 37th place.

However there are two things to consider with this:

• This method of determining top sellers only represents sales within a window, not all time sales, and that window isn't stated (I know this because the overall top seller at the moment is Two Point Hospital and I can guarantee to you that that hasn't outsold PUBG in absolute terms).
  • If we look at the other entries in the top selling Steam RPGs we see some weird things. For example, not surprisingly there are three entries in the top 25 for The Witcher 3 (the GOTY edition, the base game and the expansion pass), four entries for Black Desert Online and two entries for Divinity Original Sin 2. That's a total of nine entries in the top 25 for just three games. Moreover there are some games in the list whose status as RPGs is questionable e.g. Crusader Kings 2, Payday 2 and Stardew Valley.

Given these two factors I don't see Deadfire's position in this ranking as being representative of very much. It clearly doesn't represent overall sales (overwise PUBG or CSGO would definitely be at the top of the overall top sellers), the rankings are bloated by multiple entries for the same game and they include games that Deadfire shouldn't even be being compared to.

EDIT: of course if I am being naive in my method for checking top sellers and there's a better method please do correct me.

Edited by JerekKruger
  • Like 7

I just go to the steam store and check the top sellers.

I have noticed it fluctuates alot going up and down all over the place

I check it regularly and im fairly confident it isnt selling well on steam.

I guess one of the reasons i keep checking it is because i am very surprised it isnt selling well on steam. I was really expecting deadfire to hang around in the top 50 and atleast in the top 100.

Unless someone knows something i dont like i said it deosnt look like its selling well

On there

I just go to the steam store and check the top sellers.

Yeah, that's the same way I checked just now. To elaborate, when you remove multiples of the same game from the chart, at this moment Deadfire is the 26th best seller on Steam. I don't know over what window that is calculated (I'd guess it's a continuously rolling week long window).

As for whether it's selling well on Steam, it's really hard to say. What did PoE's position look like day-by-day four months after its release and how does Deadfire compare to it? I don't know and I doubt anyone other than Steam and Obsidian do. Hopefully eventually we'll get some news out of Obsidian, both about how well Deadfire has sold and about whether or not they're going to do a PoE3.

• Like 6