For best melee AoE dps pick rogue/soulblade with the WotEP; for single targets switch to the Chromoprismatic Staff. Tricksters can benefit a lot from offensive parry/riposte and have better survivability, while streetfighters have obviously the best dps potential.

Edited by Kaylon

You can easily find few post where ranger can overcome all other classes in DPS (exclude Envoker)

Hehe, no. Ranger is one of the weaker classes when it comes to DPS.

I doubt Ranger could challenge Sage, Shadowdancer or CW Wizard in terms of DPS, in both single-target and multi-target scenarios.

I think he is reffering to builds with a ranger using watershapers focus where driving flight makes its effect proc alot and go nuts

The rod got nerfed in the last patch so i dont think it works like he is reffering to anymore anyway

And yeah rangers clearly arent the highest dps classes

... ehh I really tired to post videos with different WW and Twinned Shot combinations :D OK you can't just auto-attack and use 2 blunderbusses as street-fighter, or setup Sage AI and wait for recursive procs - maybe that why people thinking that ranger has less DPS than other classes ?

I even posted video where I do more than 3/4 ukaizo hp in less than 50s :(

Edited by mant2si

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

My doubt about ranger and twinned shot is the following :

Can you really top the ranged single DPS of a Scout with a Single Class Ranger using Twin Shot ?

(given that Scout has all other Ranger goodies such as pet, interrupting/disenchanting shots or these long duration binding root).

Spamming 1-ressource Full Attacks with Rogue Bonus damages even after the nerf should be hard to beat, even with Arquebus twinned shot. And it is also more sustainable, so...

I made a ridiculously high dps single class ranger here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103542-single-class-build-arcana-archer-ranger/

Have a glance at the video

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with rangers. Any class can do massive dps using scrolls. Scrolls are expensive, some of them require very rare resources and using them every fight isn't realistic. Also most videos are showing convenient melee enemies with low deflection/armor which can be easily pulled together giving the false impression the build will wreck anything when it's clearly not the case.

I made a ridiculously high dps single class ranger here: https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/103542-single-class-build-arcana-archer-ranger/

Have a glance at the video

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with rangers. Any class can do massive dps using scrolls. Scrolls are expensive, some of them require very rare resources and using them every fight isn't realistic. Also most videos are showing convenient melee enemies with low deflection/armor which can be easily pulled together giving the false impression the build will wreck anything when it's clearly not the case.
It is the combination of twin arrow with frostseeker Wich is doing the heavy lifting here. Avenging storm is the only dmg scroll I use because it works so well with twin shot and frostseeker. The number of frostseeker AoEs that trigger on packed mobs with driving flight and twin shot is where the dmg potential is coming from. So yeah, it has everything to do with rangers. If you don't know how to pack mobs wether it's solo or in a party then no its not gonna be anything special.

If played in party wich is what I recommend in the description then Avenging storm scrolls can be completely replaced by combusting wounds wich is even more potent then avenging storm. Besides, storm scrolls use materials wich are easy to buy anyway.

Edited by Dorftek

For best melee AoE dps pick rogue/soulblade with the WotEP; for single targets switch to the Chromoprismatic Staff. Tricksters can benefit a lot from offensive parry/riposte and have better survivability, while streetfighters have obviously the best dps potential.

Well, personally I'd not use the WotEP. I mean it's okay for a Trickster riposte build and that 360 deg. attack can be nice to fill Focus 1/encounter, but going for riposte is a rather slooow playstyle. And base damage of WotEP is awfully low for a two-hander. It was okay, nice even, when it used to strike the primary target twice. IMO now it's pretty meh outside of some niche applications like aoe DoT distribution (but ranged aoe weapons are still far superior for that IMO).

Dual wield is probably still a superior option for a rogue. SA doesn't care, it's damage is flat. If you really want to go with a two-hander, I'd rather go with one which has some aoe capability WITHOUT sacrificing base damage. Eager Blade, Engoliero, the new Amra Axe.

Twinned Shot + Driving Flight + Frostseeker + Combusting Wounds (from a fellow wizard) is very, very good. Although the freeze damage should in theory quench the burn damage - but it doesn't, so...

Avenging Storm is only an ok backup for this. ;)

The Offensive Parry of WotEP has its own dmg and mechanics by the way. It doesn't do AoE but the base dmg is not as low as that of the normal auto-attack if I recall correctly.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well, personally I'd not use the WotEP. I mean it's okay for a Trickster riposte build and that 360 deg. attack can be nice to fill Focus 1/encounter, but going for riposte is a rather slooow playstyle. And base damage of WotEP is awfully low for a two-hander. It was okay, nice even, when it used to strike the primary target twice. IMO now it's pretty meh outside of some niche applications like aoe DoT distribution (but ranged aoe weapons are still far superior for that IMO).

Dual wield is probably still a superior option for a rogue. SA doesn't care, it's damage is flat. If you really want to go with a two-hander, I'd rather go with one which has some aoe capability WITHOUT sacrificing base damage. Eager Blade, Engoliero, the new Amra Axe.

Obviously you never tested it. 

Not as a Riposte tool, no.

I did try it in melee on a Streetfighter.

Well, you didn't try it at all as a rogue/soulblade because obviously you don't understand from where comes the damage... The Riposte has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Kaylon

As with Citzal's Spirit Lance, Soul Annihilation applies its damage to all AoE hits of the cone. The big advantage of the WotEP is that you don't need to be a wizard in order to use it. :) And it comes a lot earlier, too. AND you can be rogue of course. ;)

I like Assassin/Soulblade as well because of Run-Through... Not the most powerful stuff over the course of a whole battle but fun to do.

• Like 1

My understanding was that Soul Annihilation being applied in aoe was fixed?

That only Spirit Lance does this now (possibly as a leftover bug)? Or am I mistaken?

Patch notes for 1.1 say:

• "Soul Annihilation Focus -> Raw Damage ratio halved and Raw Damage only applies on first hit in an AOE."
Edited by Haplok

No idea, didn't test it with WotEP for a long time. However: post 1.1 Spirit Lance still applied Soul Annihilation to the whole AoE (but every hit has a different raw dmg number - no idea what's going on there.

No idea, didn't test it with WotEP for a long time. However: post 1.1 Spirit Lance still applied Soul Annihilation to the whole AoE (but every hit has a different raw dmg number - no idea what's going on there.

Are the raw dmg numbers very small? Back when I tried it with the Poraiga Halberd I got the impression that the total raw dmg pool were split amongst the targets.

If I remember correctly it started high and then declined a bit with every AoE hit in the log - but then at some point it rose again. Very weird. Maybe the attacks in the log where not displayed in the same order in which Soul Ann. computed the damage. But combined it was a LOT more raw dmg that a single hit would have done.

Well, so it seems similar with WotEP. SA damage decreases on each target hit. Usually with WotEP it's tricky to hit a large group.

So I was seeing something like 100-80-50 (with 135 Focus).

Is the total higher then a single attack? Perhaps.

Is it better then dual-wielding speed? Don't think so.

Ripostes are nice with Escape when surrounded though - run from a sticky situation and charge some Focus.

Edited by Haplok

If I remember correctly it started high and then declined a bit with every AoE hit in the log - but then at some point it rose again. Very weird. Maybe the attacks in the log where not displayed in the same order in which Soul Ann. computed the damage. But combined it was a LOT more raw dmg that a single hit would have done.

Well, so it seems similar with WotEP. SA damage decreases on each target hit. Usually with WotEP it's tricky to hit a large group.

So I was seeing something like 100-80-50 (with 135 Focus).

Is the total higher then a single attack? Perhaps.

Is it better then dual-wielding speed? Don't think so.

Ripostes are nice with Escape when surrounded though - run from a sticky situation and charge some Focus.

I think that each next hit after first one will do minimal SA damage  (i.e the same damage if you will have exactly 10 focus) the only different is damage modifiers, that why with my Devoted and AOE Pollaxe I do exactly 27 raw dm for all non primaries targets, and if I do crit I do something around ~32 DM

• Like 1

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

I just rechecked: The initial hit gets the normal raw damage of SA. Not reduced. in my case 101 raw. All other targets got 23.4 raw damage. I suspect it's the raw dmg with minimum focus (5) for SA. I managed to hit 6 dummies with decent int. Also every hit with the AoE adds one stack of Blade Form so you'll quickly be at -20% recovery time. Then WotEP has +1 PEN compared to a normal Great Sword. And it has reach. With Run Through you can fill up your focus completely (at lvl 15 that is).

All in all I think it's superior to dual wielding if you have decent INT and maybe some Overseeing.

By the way: Clear Out + WotEP is a great damage (and interrupt) tool! 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2