If all the enemies stacked up in one spot and there's no target cap, pure barbarian all the waaaay if it's just melee we're talking about. Honestly, best really depends on specific criteria. A mage like a druid or wizard is going to run out of resources eventually in a nonstop marathon battle so melee builds will pull out ahead in that context or if their nukes are against stupid high resistances.

Are there battles that are so long where casters run out of spells? I thought casters no longer need to sleep after every fight?

When I meant marathon I meant a single long fight that would exhaust your spells. Though the point is only valid up to a certain level in a party where the whole resource limitation can be sidestepped.

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

Although it is hard to quantify, since in patch 2.1 monk's dichotomous soul gets a buff and will be doing pretty good dps on top of what a monk/x can already do, so I think that puts monk in the forefront on none mage dpsers.

Mmmm more reason for me to spec xoti as a pure cannon monk.

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

To be fair, Dochotomous Soul didn’t get a “buff”; it got a fix. The fix tangentially makes it stronger but before the fix it wasn’t worth using in the first place.

• Like 1

"Time is not your enemy. Forever is."

— Fall-From-Grace, Planescape: Torment

"It's the questions we can't answer that teach us the most. They teach us how to think. If you give a man an answer, all he gains is a little fact. But give him a question, and he'll look for his own answers."

— Kvothe, The Wise Man's Fears

My Deadfire mods: Brilliant Mod | Faster Deadfire | Deadfire Unnerfed | Helwalker Rekke | Permanent Per-Rest Bonuses | PoE Items for Deadfire | No Recyled Icons | Soul Charged Nautilus

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry if I sounded offensive. I didn't address my message at you specifically, I guess I was just getting frustrated at 4 different posters commenting about low base damage (where 8-10 was far from the truth) and low damage. While in fact I think the damage is pretty good when you consider the aoe capability and lots of crits vs enemies with low Reflex. Further, if you compare it with the like of WotEP, which has the same base damage - but with a full attack you attack twice with the mortars for each swing of the WotEP, plus you trigger Driving Flight and Powder Burns.

Do you know what is the damage reduction on Driving Flight, btw? I remember being rather dissapointed with Chain Shot Fire in the Hole upgrade, which lowers weapon damage by 15% and then the bounce is at another -50%. Of course more shots are still good to proc some effects, like aoe procs of Combusting Wounds (with 7 procs per near target in aoe per salvo - 2x Powder Burns, 2x attacks, 3x bounce).

For what its worth, I am fully on the dual Blunderbuss Train. Been running them on a Streetfighter/Bleakwalker and she is a force to be reckoned with.

Still not in Wizard's league though. I am not sure any manipulation of stats and equipment allows for that.

What makes Wizard DPS so high?

High upfront burst aoe damage with missile salvos, freezing rakes etc. Most "tests" I've seen comes down to who has highest burst aoe at level 20, which is somewhat fair, because somewhere around level  15 most packs dies in 20 seconds or so. However I don't think it paints whole picture, other factors really influence your game experience and generally your dps don't exist in vacuum and is depended on how other team mates synergize, if you are enabled by someone tanking, buffing, healing or not etc. And for me it's kind of irrelevant, because well if murder pack in 20 secs or in 30 seconds it's kind of already meh, process of getting there is more interesting to me.

Edited by Tadas
  • Like 1

High upfront burst aoe damage with missile salvos, freezing rakes etc. Most "tests" I've seen comes down to who has highest burst aoe at level 20, which is somewhat fair, because somewhere around level  15 most packs dies in 20 seconds or so. However I don't think it paints whole picture, other factors really influence your game experience and generally your dps don't exist in vacuum and is depended on how other team mates synergize, if you are enabled by someone tanking, buffing, healing or not etc. And for me it's kind of irrelevant, because well if murder pack in 20 secs or in 30 seconds it's kind of already meh, process of getting there is more interesting to me.

These high AoE DPS cannot be achieved by Wizard single class, right? Or can they?

It's not as clear-cut though, because multiclassing with a Monk or a Barbarian is a very potent strategy. I haven't done any tests so I don't know if this ends up being better than a single class Wizard, but the benefits provided by these MC cannot be underestimated.

• Like 1

Well all dps is context depended. As an extreme example if there was a fight where there only 1 high hp, high defences mob come one after an another for an hour without break, every class would **** on mage, however most fights are packs of relatively weak (especially end game) mobs with breaks in between them, so being able to just front load all your resources in aoe dps fest will pad your numbers really nicely. If fight would be very long sustained aoe - maybe ciphers would or barbs would win out, if fights where single low deflection mob - classes like rogues or monks would win out, if 1 mob extremely high defences - probably ranger would. It's all context depended.

• Like 3

Well all dps is context depended. As an extreme example if there was a fight where there only 1 high hp, high defences mob come one after an another for an hour without break, every class would **** on mage, however most fights are packs of relatively weak (especially end game) mobs with breaks in between them, so being able to just front load all your resources in aoe dps fest will pad your numbers really nicely. If fight would be very long sustained aoe - maybe ciphers would or barbs would win out, if fights where single low deflection mob - classes like rogues or monks would win out, if 1 mob extremely high defences - probably ranger would. It's all context depended.

Yeah, that's why I prefer to test in the context of an entire playthrough, because then every factor is taken into account. Of course, that's very time-consuming, and still not without distortions ;)