If all the enemies stacked up in one spot and there's no target cap, pure barbarian all the waaaay if it's just melee we're talking about.  Honestly, best really depends on specific criteria.  A mage like a druid or wizard is going to run out of resources eventually in a nonstop marathon battle so melee builds will pull out ahead in that context or if their nukes are against stupid high resistances.  

Edited by Metaturtle

Filthy Chanter Main  :dragon:   :skull:  :skull:  :skull:  -_-

I don't think so, check this topic dps tests of some classes/multiclass I think something like priest/berserker (but this is martial caster). Now nothing can beat Minoletta's Missile Salvo

Solo PotD builds: The Glanfathan Soul Hunter (Neutral seer. Dominate and manipulate your enemies), Harbinger of Doom (Dark shaman. Burn and sacrifice, yourself and enemies for Skaen sake)

Definitely Sage

Citzal's Lance + Swift Strikes + Heartbeat Drumming for melee AOE carnage. Also it's very tanky with all the Wiz buffs.

Fun stuff: use Instruments of Pain to be ranged (attacking from 8m range) while still using melee weapon and reaping all melee benefits.

Not sure about melee, but ranged with dual mortars has a good chance.

Mortars have awful base damage, unless you're applying DoTs with them i don't see how they can beat other stuff

I'd not say awful. Higher then WotEP for example - while one-handed, so full attacks are x2. Plus with Driving Flight that's 4 attacks for the price of 1. Each of those attacks also causes Powder Burns, which has poor penetration, but adds up to a reasonable amount of damage at higher PL.

With Powder Burns a Streetfighter is always getting +50% sneak damage and rapidly fires attacks (gear for guns makes it even better).

And mortars target Reflex instead of Deflection, so suck against nimble guys (who incidentally usually aren't HP sponges), but crit all the time vs slower targets (also helping with Penetration against them). 

Edited by Haplok

Yes, though the damage seems to scale. PEN too probably, but the base is low. Anyway, sometimes I see extra 25 Fire damage on an enemy. Might not be much, but apply this several times per a full attack in an aoe and it adds up. Plus would make combusting wounds even more broken (too bad you can rarely land it on stuff actually worth landing it).

Edited by Haplok

Pure Wizards are basically uncatchable in terms of the damage they put out once they get those level 8 and level 9 spells and empower them.

Before that, though I find Berserker/x combinations to be very strong - be it witch, shaman or warlock (though warlock is basically cheating because you are half wizard lol). And yeaj all of those builds supplement their melee or martial damage with spell damage so they are still mixed classes. 

• Like 2

On single target, my best bet is a shadowdancer rogue/monk.

One AOE, I'm thinking about a figher/monk or berserker/monk or paladin/monk with Sacred Immolation.

The temptation of using dual hand-mortars for a rogue/ monk is to strong. Highly unlikely he will stick to single target dps when he discovers these weapons and what you can do with them.

One AOE, I'm thinking about a figher/monk or berserker/monk or paladin/monk with Sacred Immolation.

The temptation of using dual hand-mortars for a rogue/ monk is to strong. Highly unlikely he will stick to single target dps when he discovers these weapons and what you can do with them.

Hand Mortars... they're good for AOE abilities, but that's it. They have like 8-10 base damage and they require substantial INT investment

Yeah and a rogue/ monk can spam AOE abilities non stop in just about every fight in the game. This will be far more effective then doing dps damage.

It is the strongest abuse in this game at the moment and i cant believe it has gone this far without getting nerfed.

A rogue/ monk with dual mortars is better at crowd control then anyone

And if u use aloths armor plus 2 rings of overseeing the build is downright broken. This

Build is the main reason i had to stop my last playthrough becauee it was getting to easy at around level 14 on potd

Edited by Teclis23

Hand Mortars... they're good for AOE abilities, but that's it. They have like 8-10 base damage and they require substantial INT investment

Which is okay if you go Streetfighter and land at 9 - 11 base Dex.

But you are correct, you HAVE to go for Rogue DOTS if you want somewhat competitive damage. And based on my observation, the damage is not all that competitive.

Edited by lorddarkflare

Guess again. At Superb it's twice that, 16-22 (x4 when dualled with Driving Flight). Not counting Powder Burns. Plus they crit all the time vs enemies with low Reflex (goes well with Streetfighter's +100% crit damage when Flanked and Blooded).

Well there are tons of very high dps melee builds out there. As previously stated Rogue and Monk add tons of dps, and barbarian really can as well. One thing to consider is how much survivability you want as well. I've been working on a Fighter/Monk build using Wahai Poraga. The single target dps will be ok, but I'm thinking that with Wahai hitting 3 mobs at once, high crit chance coupled with Swift Flurry and Heartbeat drumming and Cleave......the chain reaction should be absurd, and Unbending allows you to tank mobs in the face.

Ultimately there are tons of options. If there is a particular class you are keen to play for whatever reason, we'll be able to suggest some nasty builds. You also may consider mentioning things like if you mind a build that takes a while to get going.

• Like 1

I don't know why you insist on base damage. It's not like they trigger Carnage or something. If we ignore Superb quality, we are still left with 11-15, same as warhammers, which seem to be pretty popular among some. If used on a Streetfighter with modal, they guaranteed always get additional +80-160% sneak attack damage plus Powder Burns, which can add up to another 100 damage per hand (distributed between the enemies). Plus when used against low Reflex enemies, they Crit all the time.

Not to mention DoT distribution.

Edited by Haplok

Superb doesnt upgrade the base damage?

Of course not. Only Power Level does.

If it would alter base damage it would be a multiplicative dmg bonus and very strong. But it is only an additive dmg bonus like Two Handed Style or Sneak Attack.

Edit: Oh sorry lorddarkflare - I overlooked your post.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods