Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My gripe with dialogue wheels

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2355 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Even if this were true, it would take a minim amount of effort to go back and correct the written dialog so they match.

Before or after all corresponding languages have been introduced? Since there are different teams which handle this (it's never the same team), it's probably more effort and resources than we tend to think.

the_dog_days

the_dog_days

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1028 posts
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Even if this were true, it would take a minim amount of effort to go back and correct the written dialog so they match.

Before or after all corresponding languages have been introduced? Since there are different teams which handle this (it's never the same team), it's probably more effort and resources than we tend to think.

You don't need the narrative team to do it. Assuming what you said is correct and most of the time the differences are alibiing, which I doubt, you could hire temps to do nothing but listen to the audio and change the text to match it. Its not skilled work either so you wouldn't be paying them a lot anyway.

Vitalis

Vitalis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 190 posts

Also, what the **** did they think glassing was? Dumb****s.

I'm reasonably certain that'd be a response of most people that wrote lines which then lead to something entirely unexpected by a large part of their audience. You've nailed a big part of the problem right there and then.
It had brackets, how could they think that it was dialogue and not an action. They're dumb****s.

They thought it was an action. They thought it meant buy him another glass.

Then it would have said something close to the lines of buying him another glass. There was nothing in the shortened description that would have indicated doing that.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2114 posts
  • Steam:Fenixp
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Then it would have said something close to the lines of buying him another glass. There was nothing in the shortened description that would have indicated doing that.

You guys do realize that the whole point of this discussion is that the less information you give in a dialogue choice, the more difficult it is to correctly guess what was the writer's intent, right? Just write "Glass him" in google search to see why it's a valid example. Showing us how smart you are by telling us that you understand the intent just serves to reinforce the point.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2355 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I don't think "Glass him" takes much intelligence to understand, even for someone who's secondary language is English or has poor English, the less wording the better. My opinion is that it is just nitpicking, I mean I can understand how it can annoy people but it's not needed, it's being made a bigger deal than what it's worth - especially since there are far more important things in rpg's which need to be fixed/worked on.

Edited for spelling issues (Damn these lagging smartphones).

Edited by SonicMage117, 12 September 2018 - 06:20 AM.

Vitalis

Vitalis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 190 posts

You guys do realize that the whole point of this discussion is that the less information you give in a dialogue choice, the more difficult it is to correctly guess what was the writer's intent, right? Just write "Glass him" in google search to see why it's a valid example. Showing us how smart you are by telling us that you understand the intent just serves to reinforce the point.

Second Google result after urban dictionary, which has the same thing:

https://en.m.wikiped...g/wiki/Glassing

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2114 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

*shrug* I get these:
Spoiler

You're ... Still completely missing the point tho
  • Sharp_one likes this

Vitalis

Vitalis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 190 posts

*shrug* I get these:
Spoiler

That most people no longer read, watch older shows, and know how bar fights work?

Sure, it may be a term more familiar in the UK, but the term "glass x" generally has something to do with violence. Glass the planet/desert should be a more familiar term, which has to deal with extreme bombing; and if I recall correctly it was also coined for Warhammer 40k to deal with the Imperium's mass genocide of xeno scum.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3751 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

*shrug* I get these:
Spoiler

That most people no longer read, watch older shows, and know how bar fights work?

Sure, it may be a term more familiar in the UK, but the term "glass x" generally has something to do with violence. Glass the planet/desert should be a more familiar term, which has to deal with extreme bombing; and if I recall correctly it was also coined for Warhammer 40k to deal with the Imperium's mass genocide of xeno scum.

Look if your point is that people are getting stupider, that's not true. If they were we would be getting a lot more glassing and they would know what it was.

Vitalis

Vitalis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 190 posts

*shrug* I get these:
Spoiler

Look if your point is that people are getting stupider, that's not true. If they were we would be getting a lot more glassing and they would know what it was.

I was unaware that stupidity was the only cause of violence.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3751 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

*shrug* I get these:
Spoiler

I was unaware that stupidity was the only cause of violence.

That's cuz you're stupid and very violent.

Vaeliorin

Vaeliorin

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 616 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I wouldn't have been sure what "Glass him" meant.  It's just never a phrase I've seen used before.

That said, I remember reading (or possibly hearing) somewhere many moons ago that apparently people get "bored" if the written text matches the spoken dialogue, so that's apparently why they don't match up, even if they're just a short phrase.

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2355 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I have heard that as well. Hmmm... Seems there are more legit reasons why text shouldn't match up with voice lines than why they should - regardless of the argument. Interesting discussion nonetheless.

Fenixp

Fenixp

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2114 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That most people no longer read

No, that the text snippets used to describe responses in many modern RPGs are insufficiently descriptive for a significant portion of the audience. While we're at the subject of reading, it's the point you'd not miss if you actually did. (Incidentally, English happens to not be the only language used on this planet)

That said, I remember reading (or possibly hearing) somewhere many moons ago that apparently people get "bored" if the written text matches the spoken dialogue, so that's apparently why they don't match up, even if they're just a short phrase.

I don't think frustration is a good replacement for boredom, generally speaking :-P

Edited by Fenixp, 13 September 2018 - 05:27 AM.

• the_dog_days likes this

TrueNeutral

TrueNeutral

Forum Moderator

• Moderators
  • 2605 posts
  • Steam:funderbunk
In my day, glassing is what you did to alien cities with nukes.
  • Malcador and Vitalis like this

Vitalis

Vitalis

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 190 posts

No, that the text snippets used to describe responses in many modern RPGs are insufficiently descriptive for a significant portion of the audience. While we're at the subject of reading, it's the point you'd not miss if you actually did. (Incidentally, English happens to not be the only language used on this planet)
Yes, because I was clearly referencing reading the text in the game, and not unrelated books as evidenced by the rest of that sentence that you conveniently edited out.

Those that did not learn English as their first language/as a child have a good reason for not knowing since they are inherently unfamiliar with American/British slang, but please continue your outrage.

Edited by Vitalis, 14 September 2018 - 10:21 AM.

Orogun01

Orogun01

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3751 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Yes, because I was clearly referencing reading the text in the game, and not unrelated books as evidenced by the rest of that sentence that you conveniently edited out.

Those that did not learn English as their first language/as a child have a good reason for not knowing since they are inherently unfamiliar with American/British slang, but please continue your outrage.

Those that play games without localization have not good reason to be angry at others because of their ignorance.

Malcador

Malcador

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7459 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Pft, consoles.
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Good thing I hung out with Glaswegians, then.
  • Vitalis likes this

SonicMage117

SonicMage117

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2355 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
If one does not know or understand a term, one is free to look it up. There's no wrong in our youth - such as yourself - putting in effort to learn something new.

Though, we as a generation (generations really) tend to complain about anything/everything we do not like or completely understand. I still have to look up words half the time because my primaral language is not English. Thereby, in which I am one of those statistics, I probably more than likely will appreciate a developer or writer for using words and terms I've never seen or heard before.

How else do we continue learn? Or are we somehow bought into the illusion that we should know everything at a certain age?
  • Vitalis likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users