My gripe with dialogue wheels

kirottu

Second Google result after urban dictionary, which has the same thing:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassing

*shrug* I get these:

11p4kR2.png

You're ... Still completely missing the point tho

That most people no longer read, watch older shows, and know how bar fights work?

Sure, it may be a term more familiar in the UK, but the term "glass x" generally has something to do with violence. Glass the planet/desert should be a more familiar term, which has to deal with extreme bombing; and if I recall correctly it was also coined for Warhammer 40k to deal with the Imperium's mass genocide of xeno scum.

*shrug* I get these:

11p4kR2.png

That most people no longer read, watch older shows, and know how bar fights work?

Sure, it may be a term more familiar in the UK, but the term "glass x" generally has something to do with violence. Glass the planet/desert should be a more familiar term, which has to deal with extreme bombing; and if I recall correctly it was also coined for Warhammer 40k to deal with the Imperium's mass genocide of xeno scum.

Look if your point is that people are getting stupider, that's not true. If they were we would be getting a lot more glassing and they would know what it was.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

*shrug* I get these:

11p4kR2.png

Look if your point is that people are getting stupider, that's not true. If they were we would be getting a lot more glassing and they would know what it was.

I was unaware that stupidity was the only cause of violence.

*shrug* I get these:

11p4kR2.png

I was unaware that stupidity was the only cause of violence.

That's cuz you're stupid and very violent.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

village_idiot.gif

I wouldn't have been sure what "Glass him" meant.  It's just never a phrase I've seen used before.

That said, I remember reading (or possibly hearing) somewhere many moons ago that apparently people get "bored" if the written text matches the spoken dialogue, so that's apparently why they don't match up, even if they're just a short phrase.

I have heard that as well. Hmmm... Seems there are more legit reasons why text shouldn't match up with voice lines than why they should - regardless of the argument. Interesting discussion nonetheless.

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...

That most people no longer read

No, that the text snippets used to describe responses in many modern RPGs are insufficiently descriptive for a significant portion of the audience. While we're at the subject of reading, it's the point you'd not miss if you actually did. (Incidentally, English happens to not be the only language used on this planet)

That said, I remember reading (or possibly hearing) somewhere many moons ago that apparently people get "bored" if the written text matches the spoken dialogue, so that's apparently why they don't match up, even if they're just a short phrase.

I don't think frustration is a good replacement for boredom, generally speaking :-P Edited by Fenixp
  • Like 1

No, that the text snippets used to describe responses in many modern RPGs are insufficiently descriptive for a significant portion of the audience. While we're at the subject of reading, it's the point you'd not miss if you actually did. (Incidentally, English happens to not be the only language used on this planet)

Yes, because I was clearly referencing reading the text in the game, and not unrelated books as evidenced by the rest of that sentence that you conveniently edited out.

Those that did not learn English as their first language/as a child have a good reason for not knowing since they are inherently unfamiliar with American/British slang, but please continue your outrage.

Edited by Vitalis

Yes, because I was clearly referencing reading the text in the game, and not unrelated books as evidenced by the rest of that sentence that you conveniently edited out.

Those that did not learn English as their first language/as a child have a good reason for not knowing since they are inherently unfamiliar with American/British slang, but please continue your outrage.

Those that play games without localization have not good reason to be angry at others because of their ignorance.

village_idiot.gif

Good thing I hung out with Glaswegians, then.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

If one does not know or understand a term, one is free to look it up. There's no wrong in our youth - such as yourself - putting in effort to learn something new.

Though, we as a generation (generations really) tend to complain about anything/everything we do not like or completely understand. I still have to look up words half the time because my primaral language is not English. Thereby, in which I am one of those statistics, I probably more than likely will appreciate a developer or writer for using words and terms I've never seen or heard before.

How else do we continue learn? Or are we somehow bought into the illusion that we should know everything at a certain age?

• Like 1

Just what do you think you're doing?! You dare to come between me and my prey? Is it a habit of yours to scurry about, getting in the way and causing bother?

What are you still bothering me for? I'm a Knight. I'm not interested in your childish games. I need my rest.

Begone! Lest I draw my nail...