Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

v2.1.0 is now available on the Beta Branch

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

cloudblade70

cloudblade70

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • Steam:cloudblade70
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for the patch and post! Has Xoti's lantern been fixed so that Light of the Dawnstar won't affect allied spells/buffs?

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3044 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Thanks for the patch and post! Has Xoti's lantern been fixed so that Light of the Dawnstar won't affect allied spells/buffs?

That was fixed in the previous patch (or maybe the one before).

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

Is Karaboru the backer item designed by dunehunter? :)

EDIT: No fix for The Dichotomous Soul? :(

EDIT II: Fighter's Penetrating Strike also had its damage bonus reduced from 100% to 20%. Worth mentioning in the patch notes.

Still downloading the beta, let me check if it is :)

• AndreaColombo likes this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

As for Penetrating Strike, I don't believe it was ever at 100% (at least not intentionally), it was lowered from 25% to 20% back in v1.3, but that should have been the only time it was modified. If you are seeing otherwise (without mods), please let us know.

In that case I must have misremembered. Apologies for the false alarm.

Teclis23

Teclis23

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 434 posts

Still no fix for the Watcher’s Blade? It’s been two months since your patch introduced that bug, guys

whats wrong with the watchers blade

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts
Is the minus -35% for full attacks additive or multiplicative ? If additive, rogue would barely feels the difference ?

Edit : okay, I checked the damage calulation thread on this forum. It would be -55% additive damage in most cases. Rogue are still much better with Dual Wield, also because Strikes still get double roll for applying afflictions.
For other classes, Full Attack are mostly damage oriented (FoD, Heart of Fury, Barbaric Blows) and they don't get tons of bonus damages so I guess Dual Wield would be on par with other styles. You might consider Dual Wield for some build (if you REALLY want to apply Sicken with your Bleakwalker) but you may choose other options.

It seems that Single Class fighter could look okay now. Take the hit + unbending spamming is basically 50% party damage reduction.

Paladin Single Class could still need a bit of work. Upgraded hastening exo is passable for some party build (almost instant +5 Mig and Dex on a damage caster is okayish). Sacred Immolation is still dubious. I wish self damages weren't affected by Mig and PL...

Edited by Elric Galad, 31 August 2018 - 12:44 AM.

• kilay likes this

kilay

kilay

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 524 posts

Still no fix for the Watcher’s Blade? It’s been two months since your patch introduced that bug, guys

https://forums.obsid...ged/?hl=watcher

• Achilles and Teclis23 like this

Elric Galad

Elric Galad

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1567 posts
Also Twin Shot has a bit less contest from Full Attacks as an ultimate DPS ability, which makes Single Class Rangers slightly better.

Teclis23

Teclis23

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 434 posts

Is the minus -35% for full attacks additive or multiplicative ? If additive, rogue would barely feels the difference ?

It seems that Single Class fighter could look okay now. Take the hit + unbending spamming is basically 50% party damage reduction.

Paladin Single Class could still need a bit of work. Upgraded hastening exo is passable for some party build (almost instant +5 Mig and Dex on a damage caster is okayish). Sacred Immolation is still dubious. I wish self damages weren't affected by Mig and PL...

Yeah does anyone no if additive or multi?

this will make a huge difference

Achilles

Achilles

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3044 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

https://forums.obsid...ged/?hl=watcher

FWIW, it actually is fixed just not referenced in the patch notes.

• AndreaColombo and kilay like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
While we’re on the cosmetic fixes bandwagon, Tekehu’s eyes and the height of cloaks on Aumaua models are both definitely not fixed yet. Likewise the missing partial hair with the cap of the laughing stock.

Glad to hear the blade’s fixed, though :)

Edited by AndreaColombo, 31 August 2018 - 12:55 AM.

• kilay likes this

Daled

Daled

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 174 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Was the Guardian of Ukaizo bug fixed? 

I've loaded an autosave on map entering and....nothing happened, the conversation didn't start and I could safely navigate to area exit. I don't know if that's the expected behavior.

Edited by Daled, 31 August 2018 - 03:58 AM.

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

I did a few test on new full attack abilities. Although it hurts a bit for dual wielding style, a Bleakwalker/Assassin can still do tons of damage with Magran's Favor+Sun&Moon and FoD. A two-hander still won't do as much damage, but both style is very very close if you use normal single-handed weapons instead of +Fire PL ones.

So I'd say it is a good step to make different weapon style balancer.

• Cdiaz likes this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14820 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

That -35% on Full Attacks... I don't know. I mean I would have taken any bet that Obsidian chooses nerf over buff (for 2handers and single 1hander), but can't you surprise me pleasantly only once when it comes to balancing? :p

Now there's the weird situation where a dual wielding setup does more damage per swing with autoattacks than with a Full Attack. I means that when I'm doing a Full Attak my swings are a lot more whimpy. Nay...

Instead increased dmg for 2h would have meant that with a FULL Attack I go all in and do more damage than with auto attacks. Or that FULL Attack with the one handed Rapier was so thrusty and well aimed that it did a lot more crit damage. Which mysteriously makes more sense if you ask me. Sure, you don't ask me, but still...  

• AndreaColombo, dukeisaac, peko and 2 others like this

dunehunter

dunehunter

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2520 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer

That -35% on Full Attacks... I don't know. I mean I would have taken any bet that Obsidian chooses nerf over buff (for 2handers and single 1hander), but can't you surprise me pleasantly only once when it comes to balancing? :p

Now there's the weird situation where a dual wielding setup does more damage per swing with autoattacks than with a Full Attack. I means that when I'm doing a Full Attak my swings are a lot more whimpy. Nay...

Instead increased dmg for 2h would have meant that with a FULL Attack I go all in and do more damage than with auto attacks. Or that FULL Attack with the one handed Rapier was so thrusty and well aimed that it did a lot more crit damage. Which mysteriously makes more sense if you ask me. Sure, you don't ask me, but still...  

I agree Boeroer. And I also think my test is not proper enough because I'm using a lvl 20 character and a Rogue. So I have tons of damage bonus that compensate the malus of full attack penalty. I can imagine if I don't have so many bonus, my Full Attack abilities will fall behind my atuoattacks, which yeah I agree feels a bit weird :)

• AndreaColombo, dukeisaac, Boeroer and 1 other like this

Boeroer

Boeroer

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 14820 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
It was the easy route. That bothers me a bit. What we discussed in the dedicated "Full Attack" thread was more interesting and also not hard to implement. And the concern that it would make the late( r) game even more easy: well that doesn't really matter much since that will not be solved with less potent Full Attacks anyway.

Edited by Boeroer, 31 August 2018 - 04:31 AM.

• dukeisaac and Purudaya like this

Manveru123

Manveru123

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 837 posts

I feel like their philosophy is to make nerfs before buffs to avoid power creep, and they have their own ideas on how to do this best (also possibly suggestions from misguided external QA). I feel the impact of their changes isn't even tested, all they do is make sure that it works as described. This also looks like an attempt at making the game harder: if you nerf all of the best damage options, the players will struggle more. Worst part is, they don't really offer you an alternative, so you are stuck with mediocresness no matter what. If this game was sold on Google Play Store, everyone would be entitled for a full refund after every major patch, but Steam doesn't give a ****.

• AndreaColombo likes this

Teclis23

Teclis23

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 434 posts

You wont even notice it. Alot of full attacks give a bonus to damage anyway. I think rogues give +25% or more? 

And its not as if your struggling to beat the game on POTD at the moment. 

MaxQuest

MaxQuest

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2347 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Thanks for a great patch. Lots of good changes imo, except for DW Full-Attacks.

The changes that strike the most in a good way:

• having more unique items and spells: is always great, since it potentially increases the number of character builds we can come with.
  • fps degradation fix: thumbs-up!
  • better enchanting UI: that's a nice QoL improvement. It will help avoid the scenario when player enchants with property A1, and has to reload the save because property B2 became unavailable.
  • ability tree preview: nice! I no longer have to type OpenCharacterCreationNewCompanion 1 1 every time I want to check that tree. And that was often :)
  • zeal cost reduction for Reviving and Zealous Exhortation: that's great and definitely a move in right direction. Personally I will probably still be skipping them, because opportunity cost is still high, despite of zeal cost being kinda ok.

Full Attacks made while dual wielding will now receive a -35% penalty to the damage they deal.

The main thing I don't like in this patch. Don't like it for the following reasons:

• psychologically dislike nerfs
  • it widens the total dps gap between evoker and phys damage dealers even further; it also decreases the total damage potential before martial classes run out of resources
  • it indirectly nerfs crowd-control, since the time-to-kill the enemy is increased, and you can do less damage in those 6s time window of paralyze. And it shifts the parties to sturdy tank-and-spank style which already was in favor.
  • it is not transparent/clear enough, i.e. players already ask if it's multiplicative or additive. And both variants are... underwhelming. The first one would be inconsistent, because all damage coefficients are now taken in additive steps, so why make exception? And the additive route would be weird because of double inversion; especially if character is affected by more than 2 damage-affecting effects.
  • many full attack abilities already have a bonus damage coefficient attached. If you want the "why my Power Strike deals less damage than expected" threads... that's how you get them ^^
  • there was another solution suggested: full attacks deal damage with both weapons when dual-wielding, or roll max damage otherwise.

Edited by MaxQuest, 31 August 2018 - 06:39 AM.

• AndreaColombo, GuyNice, Boeroer and 2 others like this

AndreaColombo

AndreaColombo

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5384 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Completely agree with you guys.

Max damage on full attacks for other styles would have been a better solution.
  • GuyNice, Boeroer, acbatchelor and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users