[BoW2.0.1.0044] Crit Path bug - can't talk to Vatnir

Wormerine

Question

Started Beast of Winter expansion with my second character, but I can't initiate conversation with Vatnir.

When I enter the room in which he is conducting a ceremony the cutscene starts as it should, but instead of initiating a dialogue, the game give me back the controls. Trying talking to Vatnir results in "I need to change by bandages" bark. Can't progres further.

Save right before that:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XsQnzXthHT5HTDx53uo2xc9nJGRxEzhI/view?usp=sharing

12 answers to this question

Hello Wormerine,

I'm sorry for the trouble you're getting with the quest not triggering.  Would you happen to have a save from before landing on Harbingers' Watch that I could take a look at?  I want to test to see if you get the missive and the quest before landing on the island as you should.

Thanks, and sorry for the inconvenience of this bug.

Alright. Here it is:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1h1qVgrEI-Ct28oqr-3aB4R1r-D2TQnEW

I got the missive and read it, Harbinger Watch was mapped on my map after reading it, however, the quest didn't trigger - no leads in the journal.

EDIT. As an experiment I managed to further the quest down the line (1st fight with messager) by attacking and killing Vatnir. Curiously, the quest update popup appeared, but still nothing in the journal. Tried with the new beta patch, and still the same issue persists. 

Edited by Wormerine

Sure. I hope it will help.
This a "resaved" were my playthrough ended:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b2LTdrDHHxGd66xjCmm3iOY9EBB18eYj/view?usp=sharing

And here is a save in Harbinger Retreat, just before talking to Vatnir:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UAyzPqsNoaGBZJWAsVLTD76NtG00TUw_/view?usp=sharing

In both cases the quest isn't registered as activated, and re-reading V's letter doesn't do anything.

May I inquire if the problem has been solved, aka. it shouldn't trigger anymore on new playthroughs? If the problem exists in already affected saves only, personally I do not care that much. As nice as it would be to complete Noriko's playthrough it is not a big priority for me. That said if problem is still a mistery it might be worth digging into. 

Hey Wormerine,

Thank you so much :)  I we aren't too sure if it is due to a broken save or not yet.  The team became very interested in this and requested the save to find out.  I'll definitely let you know once they get some testing in and the programmers get a new look at this.  Probably looking at next week for an answer as the studio is about to leave for the weekend.

Thanks again for all the help and have an amazing weekend!

• Like 1

Ok. Here is a question: Does Beast of Winter has it's own "DLC has been installed and awaits activation" message? 

I started a new playthrough with a third character in turn-based mode and after leaving the opening beach for the first time I was met with two messages:
GTkxtmL.jpg

and

KkIrBIM.jpg

As you can see Beast of Winter is installed: 
2RURP0i.jpg

Just to be safe I uninstalled and reinstalled the DLC. I am using GOG.

Here is an autosave, just in case:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JVQ3Lgr7yhzOkpCT8mk087_QPhV0BGF-/view?usp=sharing

Or maybe there is no message and it is unrelated to an issue from my previous playthrough. 

EDIT: Indeed i received the letter from Vatnir and this time quest appeared in the journal. I assume that BoW doesn't have its own dedicated popup window. Noriko's issue unrelated.

Edited by Wormerine

Hey Wormerine,

Thanks for the added information about your progression on the new character.  I'm thinking this is something that has been fixed but wasn't able to be retroactive for folks who had progressed past the quest triggers and later saved their game.  We tried progressing certain parts and granting the missive fresh, but it looks like the issue is locked on this save having all of the quests completed.  I'd unfortunately assume this to be the case for any saves that were loaded when this issue was live.

Any new characters that were made after the issue was fixed should work and seems to on the new character you mentioned above.

I'm truly sorry for the bad experience this gives you for Noriko.  The only minor resolution I can give Noriko would be to export her and import her as a companion in your new party.

Sorry again for the massive inconvenience this has caused you Wormerine.

• Like 1